• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

147 Grain FMJBT in 1 in 10 twist

RPMG

Private
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2010
I have a Rock River LAR-8 with 20", 1 in 10 twist barrel. I am going to try 168 and 175 grain Sierras but I have 1000 of these 147 grains that came with brass I bought. A couple of questions:

1) Are these too lite for this twist rate? (i have found differing opinions on the internet)

2) If not, does anyone have a good load? (I have H335, Varget and AA2230 on hand)

Thanks

Robert

Re: 147 Grain FMJBT in 1 in 10 twist

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RPMG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
1) Are these too lite for this twist rate? (i have found differing opinions on the internet)
</div></div>
Thus we have the beloved moniker, the "Errornet".

A lot of dumb spits out here amongst us.

Crap, we fought and won WWII with 150-gr flatbase spitzers in .30-06 going about 100 fps faster than M80 Ball, in 10-inch twist Garands and a lot of Springfield bolt guns ('specially at the beginning). Some of those Springfields had 2-groove barrels, too.

Well, a LOT of those rounds fired were actually 168-gr AP as well...

The stuff this generation has forgotten. Sheesh!

The Sierra manual from years ago has a bughole group pictured, 110-grain bullet out of a .308 at something over 3,000 fps. I think that's a lot more severe spin for that short bullet than any 147-gr bullet will ever get out of a 10-twist barrel.

Over-stabilization my arse! But yeah, expect 2 MOA if your load is any good. Those legendary 1 MOA groups with mil-surp are usually single aberrations, certainly NOT repeated for 5 groups in a row.

I dont get this resoning. Sure, you can shoot 147's through a 10 twist and yes its been done for years. If sub 2 moa's what you're after, get ya some. I dont know of any bullet manufacturers that recommend this today though. Am I missing something? I know some of the new extra long 155's do good with a fast twist but the 147's ?

okie

I've shot military surplus 147 grain bullets for amny years but as previous poster said don't expect much better than 2 MOA. I used them mostly in class III weapons.

A 1:10 *might* become necessary if you're shooting 190s or longer AND heavier pointy long bullets (220 RNs are short enough for 1:12) in cold weather at long range.

Otherwise, we're all doing just fine with 1:12. Berger says 1:13 is ideal for their 155s.

IME, the .30 Carbine does 2 MOA all day long in 1:10 twist cheap USGI barrels in a flimsy stock system, with a very cheap, very short 110-gr RN bullet that does NOT require a spin that fast according to the "forumulas".

I am NOT a sniper. I do NOT profess to be even a mediocre shooter. I have fun just playing around with different loads and a seeing how accurately I can get my cheap-ass out-of-the-box guns to shoot. I have a Bushmaster BAR-10 .308 A2 w/20" bbl, 1/10 twist. Nothing special to anybody else, but it happens to be the predecessor of your RRA. It uses FN FAL mags and I'm pretty sure RRA bought the rights to this design from Bushmaster.
I load 42gr surplus 4895 over 145gr FMJ's from Widener's with EXCELLENT results. I use CCI mil primers and mixed mil brass. Overall length about .005 less than the max mag length listed in Lyman manual. Light crimp with Lee factory crimp die. Very accurate in my opinion for utility ammo with run-of-the-mill FMJ's and no special pains taken in loading. It has shot 3-shot
groups as small as .362 @100 yds. (I know-nobody cares about 3-shot groups here. But this man asked a question and I'm trying my best to help.) I have had my best results with bullets in the 150gr range in MY 1/10 twist bbls. The heavier bullets seem to scatter a bit more, but my testing has been limited by budget.

RPMG, I guess it all depends on what kind of accuracy you're looking for. If I were you, I wouldnt expect consistant sub moa useing 147's in a 10 twist. Except for being BT bullets the 155's spoken of have almost nothing in common with the 147's. Its my understanding that some were designed to shoot from a 10 twist barrel thus thier long profile and lots of people here have done well with them in a fast twist. If you're wanting to plink and get a lot of triger time the 147's are a good way but I wouldn't expect to stack bullets in the X at 600 with that combo.
wink.gif
Have fun what ever you do.

okie

Thanks everyone for the comments. I have the Lee and Sierra reloading manuals so will consult those as well. I will use these as a test to see how accurate and consistent I can get them. will buy some 168 and 175 grains as well. In any event it should be fun!

I have had good luck with Hornady 150 fmj.They are very consistant.I use LC brass,CCI primer (not match),AA2230 41grs,and the projo seated to the cann.I was messing around one day with a couple buddies.We shot some in our bolt guns.One was an SPS tac the other was a PSS and they both shot .5.Hope this helps.Also pretty consistant in an auto.

I use these all the time in my O3A3 Smith-Carona Springfield 1/10 twist. Rem 700p 300wm also 1/10 twist. Custom Mauser 30-06 1/10 twist also. They shoot real good out of mine. I use these bullets for all my 30 cals,except my tactical rifles. I have no problem keeping 1 1/2 moa or less. A great bullet to do alot of shooting with.

I have 2000 of the Hornady 150gr fmjs and have been pissing in the wind trying to develop loads for an Imbel fal carbine and AR10 carbine. Both rifles have a pet load that can produce moa with five shots. The batch of projos I got seems to have the cannelure a bit higher than it should be, so I've been seating to the length dictated in the Hornady manual. Best groups have been 3.5 moa using 45gr Varget, WCC brass, 2600fps. I have a ton of NATO brass, and have access to almost every powder. More loads using these components or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Any imbalance in the bullet will be amplified by a faster rate of twist. If the bullets are in balance - a match bullet, you are fine. If the bullet are so-so your accuracy will suck. Hornady has a good name. I am not sure of the quality of their FMJ. But, they will not shoot as well as match grade ammunition.

I would try a faster powder like IMR4895/H4895 and see if the groups shrink.

Good luck

Jerry

I am working on some H4895 starting at 40gr. Both rifles have 1/11.25 twist. At this point, I will concede that I bought bulk prematurely, going by the reviews I read at the Midway site. Before this batch, I bought Winchester 147gr fmj's, and they were truly dismal for accuracy. I was hoping to at least duplicate the accuracy of Portuguese ball ammo.

Those loads just suck all together..

Dont expect much... Use them for the brass honestly.. Thats what I did.. they are good to about 400 yards then they just spread like a MF