• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

16” Truck gun

Kimber Adirondack 7-08. 4lbs13 oz, Great trigger, 18”stainless threaded barrel, nice compact stock.
I have one in 308 and 7-08 both are great guns 7-08 is a bit more accurate.

have you shot it suppressed? If so is it pretty nose heavy? I’ve got a tbac 7 on the way for a lighter weight suppressed hunting rifle and haven’t decided on the rifle yet

Looking for some advice, I want to build or buy a “truck gun”. I want a bolt action rifle to carry around the ranch, toss in the truck when I head out to the ranch. Will primarily be used to shoot coyotes, pigs, exc. primary range will be inside of 300 yards. I want a short barrel around 16”. I know I am going about this a little backwards but I am looking for suggestions on what round to chamber it in and if anyone has any rifle suggestions.

Ruger American in .308.

Since an AR is out due to location, I'd go with a 6.5 Grendel bolt gun at 16". I like my 350 Legend AR, but think think a Grendel would suit your needs a little better if you're taking a bit longer shots.

m305, ar-15 woukld both do the trick in an efficient semi-auto package. If you want to go smaller chiappa alaskan scout in 12" might be interesting but your effective range will be more 150 than 300.

have you shot it suppressed? If so is it pretty nose heavy? I’ve got a tbac 7 on the way for a lighter weight suppressed hunting rifle and haven’t decided on the rifle yet
I have a silencerco harvester 30 that i use on the Adirondack all the time. It’s not out of balance much. I carry it quite a bit and it’s not uncomfortable to shoulder and fire. The suppressor definitely takes the bark out of it though.

That 6.5 Grendel Ruger Ranch I think will be the trick. Took me a little while to figure out that the American ranch rifles are only chambered in AR-15 compatible rounds.
Yea man, that thing would be perfect for your needs. And still take game at 200-300 or more. I’ve seen guys take whitetail at 400-450 with 12” Grendel’s. I would only do critters that far, but that’s just me.

That ruger american ranch in 6.5g would be my choice. I had one in 300blk and it was a good little rifle. My girlfriend has one in 7.62x39 and its money inside of 150( haven't shot it past that)

Take a look at the Ruger American Ranch rifle. I have one in 223. It takes AR mags, has a 7 twist, and is very handy. Also available in other calibers.
Bingo. Mine has 1:8 twist but no matter. Reload with 75-grain eldx bullets and you will have what you need. If you decide to get fancy bed it into a Boyd's stock with their AI bottom metal and a River poly mag. Adjust feed lips on mag with a file and load to magazine length. You will have plenty of power, accuracy and hardiness, and ruggedness.

I had a Ranch in 300BO, eh it didn't have the quality that I thought it would. Feeding wasn't the best either, cartridge had to make a huge jump to get into the chamber. Mags were cheezy too.

Look at the Howa mini in 6.5G and have the barrel cut to 16.1". I like the high cap mag option and the recoil of the cartridge is fun.

Just ordered a bergara ridge SP in 6.5 with 18" barrel. Will put a TBAC Cb7 on it and am hitting the range this weekend.

I'm using it for Hogs, whitetails, and steel plinking in the off season

If anyone is interested I'll post the results.

I had a Ranch in 300BO, eh it didn't have the quality that I thought it would. Feeding wasn't the best either, cartridge had to make a huge jump to get into the chamber. Mags were cheezy too.

Look at the Howa mini in 6.5G and have the barrel cut to 16.1". I like the high cap mag option and the recoil of the cartridge is fun.
What drugs are you on? High cap mag for howa? The $50 5 round mags?? Because that’s all they have for the Grendel and depending if they’ve had a shipment in, it may be 5 months before you can find any more sale.

Hard to beat a 16" 308 for a truck gun with real power. I shoot a Ruger Gunsite Scout with open sites and a Leupold fixed 2.5x scout scope mounted with quick detach rings. Scope goes on and off with no loss of zero. With the TBAC Ultra 7, it's the most versatile rifle I own. I run the 3 round mags because it carries better in the hand than with the larger 10 rounders it comes with. Open sights = fun at short ranges, and there's a 30 caliber bullet for just about everything.

My Ruger American Ranch in 300 BLK is fun too but it's very picky about the ammo I use. The bolt lift is harder than the M77 (slower to get back on target) and I hate that cheap magazine. But it is what it is for $350.

Reactions: TheChief and hseII
What drugs are you on? High cap mag for howa? The $50 5 round mags?? Because that’s all they have for the Grendel and depending if they’ve had a shipment in, it may be 5 months before you can find any more sale.

Gabapentin, lol. They look long but I didn't finish reading the description.

Yeah those mags aren't exactly high cap but anything is better than the ranch mags. I did see that C-products has a 10 round mag out for the American though, but those weren't out 3 years ago when I had mine.

Might be some will come out for the mini too.