16" 6.5 PRC Loads with H4350

eyekahn

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2012
So I have an 8lb jug of H4350 and I love short bolt guns. I was thinking of building a 16" 6.5PRC and was wondering if the faster burn rate of H4350 would do well in a shorter barrel with 130HVLD. I'm sure it would be a no go with 147 ELDM but I do have quite a bit of those left from my last 6.5CM shorty. Anyone have any good data on that powder and a short PRC?

So I have an 8lb jug of H4350 and I love short bolt guns. I was thinking of building a 16" 6.5PRC and was wondering if the faster burn rate of H4350 would do well in a shorter barrel with 130HVLD. I'm sure it would be a no go with 147 ELDM but I do have quite a bit of those left from my last 6.5CM shorty. Anyone have any good data on that powder and a short PRC?
I have a 16inch 6.5 PRC barrel, It was part of a lightweight hunting suppressor build. I screwed around with a few loadings and I never had performance I really enjoyed for the hassle. with 130s I was seeing 2700 ish and 140s around 2650. This was with H4350 and H1000. I think you could get more but I lost interest.

I love short guns but at that speed I just shoot 6.5 cm. I still have the barrel, its a cool concept but I probably wouldn't do it again.

It doesn't matter whether it's a short barrel or long barrel, the chamber is the same where a fast powder like H4350 is really just too fast for even a somewhat light bullet like a 130 VLD. Though there it can be used, with case fill will be on somewhat the low side (like 53 grs would be less than 92% fill and 55 grs will push pressure over max). It's not that you can't use it at all. It's just not a good powder for this cartridge and maybe hard to get the results you might want.