• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

168g- .308 hunting load

DrDeath

Colonel
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2009
If using a 168g BTHP match 308 ammo on the range, does anyone have a 168g hunting round they can recommend for deer? I thought Winchester had a 168g silvertip .308.

Re: 168g- .308 hunting load

Winchester Ballistic Silvertip
Hornady A-Max
Barnes Vortex
Black Hills A-Max
HSM A-Max
HSM Berger VLD

All 168s.

Oh yeah, Hornady SST and GMX!

Edi...always the poet
smile.gif

I use 155gr and 168gr A-MAXs as well as Nosler 150 and 168gr Ballistic Tips for deer and have been testing Barnes TSX and TTSX in 168gr. My Rem 700 SPS SS seems to do very well with RL-15 powder.

FH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DrDeath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I should have posted
OVER THE COUNTER COMERCIAL loaded ammo.
I don't reload. </div></div>

Sorry. Then I'd go for Federal Premium with either 168gr SGK or 168gr Barnes TSX. I've found the Federal Premium to be a bit more accurate in my rifles than the Win Ballistic Silvertip. I intend to try boxes of Nosler Trophy Grade and Hornady Superperformance. Stay tuned.

FH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Malaga2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Edi...always the poet
smile.gif
</div></div>
smile.gif

see you are still kicking... never had a chance to post any pictures of last deer season, was a very good one.
edi

I am working up a load in 168 right now. Well...a good friend is doing all the heavy lifting. But it was my understanding, at least where I am at, we aren't allowed to hunt deer with match ammo.

Regards,
Greyson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: greyson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am working up a load in 168 right now. Well...a good friend is doing all the heavy lifting. But it was my understanding, at least where I am at, we aren't allowed to hunt deer with match ammo.

Regards,
Greyson </div></div>

Where is that? Sounds like a bad regulation. As i have seen just as many "hunting" rounds fail as match bullets.

I was always told and read that using the 168 grain MHP was bad for hunting due to the 168MHP not meant to mushroom in thin skin animals. But my thinking was that it was still a HP! So why is that one any different then
Another HP!?

RL-15 pushing 168gr hunting VLD bergers has worked good in south carolina.
If you want the load look in the reloading thread under the 308's load. good luck on the loads and hunting.

I live in Ohio, which is a shotgun state. The deer hunting I am planning with my boltgun is in KY.

I could have been mistaken.

Regards,
Greyson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barnes 168 GR TTSX - kills em good! </div></div>

This is what I settled on for hunting loads.

Regards,
Greyson