• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

.17 hmr choices for varmint/trainer

Dackar

Private
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2010
Houston, Texas
Hey all I am trying to decide on what rifle to look at for a varmint/trainer rifle. So far I have it kind of narrowed down to these makes and models. Being the CZ model 452 and 453 varmint and the anschutz model 1517 D KL and D HB beavertail.

My questions are how are there any issues with those rifles that I listed?

Are there any other makes/models rifles I should take a closer look at?

Is there any good quality two stage triggers available for the rifles I listed?

From the information I managed to get I know the rifles I listed are very accurate. (My search mojo has seemed to have failed me yet again...) I am just not very familiar with either company especially when it comes to rimfires in so far as quality/durability etc. I also was not able to find anything about if they can have a two stage trigger or if there is a quality aftermarket two stage trigger etc.

Re: .17 hmr choices for varmint/trainer

I have had very good luck with my Ruger 77/17 after dropping in a match trigger group. I have a friend with a very accurate Savage .17HMR. The Savage has a pretty decent accutrigger. There are some very accurate .17's out there for not a lot of money. That said I hear very good things about the CZ's and I have never had an Anshutz that disappointed me. I prefer the DHB if for nothing but the clean barrel but the stock contour is a plus.

There is a lot of choice in the market for aftermarket Ruger trigger groups.

I've got an Annie 1517 MPR with stainless barrel and match 2-stage trigger. The stock is a Monte Carlo adjustable with the beavertail fore and Anschutz accessory rail. The stock is great. The gun itself is slightly more accurate than my Marlin 917VS.

Anschutz makes a stock adjustable 2 stage trigger. If you look hard, I am sure you can find a rifle that comes with that feature.

CZ's have a reputation for great value. An Annie is an Annie. Fit, finish, and features are great. For bang for your buck, I would go Marlin or Savage. For all out, I would go Annie. I don't have anything against the CZ's. I just think the Marlin and Savage provide a good level of accuracy for the money and the Anschutz is the best out there, but for a lot more money. Where does that leave the CZ?

Here is almost the exact rifle I have only blued, not stainless barrel:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=188037823

Note that it comes with the 2-stage trigger with adjustable LOP (a very cool feature)/

^ Yeah that's the other thing about the Marlin. You will need to buy a Rifle Basix trigger (about $90). It's one of the most common mods on this rifle because the stock trigger is so freakin heavy. But the Rifle Basix trigger is sweeeeeeet.

Dackar,

You're in the same boat I was a few weeks ago. I narrowed the choice down to either the CZ452 series or the Savage TR (which is not yet available in the UK, but should be soon). I looked at the Anschtz rifles which were really nicely made, but perhaps a bit too nice for sitting in the back of a Land Rover.

After some careful thought I went with the configuration below:

- CZ452 Varmint in 17HMR with 21' barrel. I know the heavy barrel doesn't add a great deal of accuracy (if any?), and you could argue that it's weight that shouldn't be there when compared to the Silhouette model or others with the 'Sporter' profile barrel. However, I think that the longer heavier barrel balances the rifle better, and it feels nicer in the hand. Probably a personal thing. If you're shooting from a vehicle you may want the 16' version.

- Sirocco / SM11 moderator. For the money (£40) it offers excellent noise reduction, it's strippable and has a tapered rear, so there is no step up from the barrel. While this isn't that important it does mean that the rifle is less prone to catching on sticks etc when shooting from a hide.

- Replacement bottom metal from Staffordshire Synthetic Stocks. I can't recomment this highly enough. The standard CZ two-piece bottom metal is pretty poorly made. The SSS piece isn't cheap but is beautifully made and a replacement for both pieces of metal.

- Rimfire Magic trigger kit. There have been many threads about the poor CZ triggers and the amount of creep. Mine was bad, so fitted the Rimfire Magic kit for £12. Depending where you are in the world I'm sure you can get this or something similar.

- A 5.5-25x50 Falcon Menace scope. Probably overkill for the .17HMR, but it is superb. The glass is very clear, gives a crisp picture and allows shooting until pretty late without the lamp.

- Bipod to follow at some point.

- Replacement stock to follow at some point, not because the woodwork is poor quality but because I'm not sure I like the shape of it. I was actually suprised that the wood was so nice on a gun of that price.

I decided against the Savage because it's not yet available in the UK (and won't be for a month), I've read mixed reviews of the AccuTrigger, and it might be too 'tactical' looking for a rabbit gun. The Savage magazines are awful, and I don't think there is a replacement part available, but could be wrong.

The CZ is a common rifle, there are all sorts of replacement stocks, trigger kits etc for you to tweak the rifle to what you want. If you're in the USA maybe the moderator / threaded barrel option is no use, but you can get that as standard here in the UK. The only downside is the trigger, which is awful but easily fixed. If you don't like the Rimfire Magic kit (which shims the trigger to give a cleaner pull) you can get the Timney unit which replaces both the tigger blade and the sear, but it's not cheap.

My local gunshop advised me to fire a few rounds through it from new, give it a good clean and see how the group size came down. At first the group was something like the size of a playing card at 75m. After 25-30 rounds and a good clean it was shooting 1 - 1.5' groups, which I was very suprised by.

Hope that's of some use.

I dont think you could go wrong with any of the popular brand 17HMR rifles out there.

I have a Savage and its fine. It will never ever compare to my Tactical .308 so i dont care, but its a fun rifle to shoot.

I might sell it in the future and buy a Sako Quad

I own a Sako Quad with all four barrels, but I shoot the .17hrm almost exclusively. It is a tack driver. One of my favorite long guns. I had plans to replace the stock to match my .300, but with the oem synthetic stock, a shooters ridge bipod, and a $60 rimfire scope it is more accurate than I am. If I have any gripes about the quad it is that the synthetic stock is very light, I couldn't find the package with bull barrels in the USA, and the magazines are small and expensive.

Good luck,
-PH

Yeh but you get 10 shot mags as an option... thats fantastic

Can you get the combo with the heavy barrels or are they all sporters?

Ive seen individual calibres with heavy barrels, but not the combo package.

The more I think of a Sako Quad the more and more i just want one.

I have several CZ rifles including two 452s, an American in 22 mag and a Lux in 22 LR. There are several kits out there for the triggers. Try rimfire.com for the details if you don't get more help here. The 453 has a single set trigger which I really like. I don't have a 453 but I have the single set on a couple of 527s in 223. They take some getting used to but they are sweet. You may also want to check out the new 555(?) not sure of the model but it's on their website. It is a multi caliber switch barrel. CZ makes good stuff.

I have a T/C .17HMR and am very happy with it. Have shot squirrels at 130 yds (head shot) and have taken crows out ta 200yds. Excellent barrel for price and quality if ya have a T/C frame. I use Remington ammo

I have a malin 917 and love it. It is one of my favorites to shoot. If there is no wind I can hit quarters at 100yds.

I did install the rifle basix trigger, and that rifle is incredibly accurate.

if I had to do it again. I might more closly at the savages.

+1 on the savage 93.

I've owned 3 savage 93s and all are excellent shooters. I have sold two off, and have kept my btvs, which I have restocked. We were shooting mt dew bottle caps and quarters yesterday at 125-150 with winchester ammo. It still has the stock accutrigger and wears a vortex viper up top.

I have a CZ 452 American in .17HMR that only shoots about as well as a decent .22WMR, 1.75"-2" @100 yards. For a rifle that always gets such raves, I was a touch disappointed.

1.75" - 2" @ 100 is pretty poor for a 17. Have you tried different lots of ammo?

The big bonus on the Anschutz rifles is that they are test fired for accuracy. With Marlin, Savage, etc., sometimes you get a shooter and sometimes you don't. My Marlin is a shooter. My Annie is a bit better, but marginally so. Is it worth over twice the price? I guess it depends on the purchaser.

Hey all thank you so much for all the information it has been very helpful. I was sick last weekend. Also with the holiday I am finally catching up with everything. I am still not totally sure which way I am going to go.

As of right now I am doing some inquiries on the annie model 1517 to see if I can get one with the match two stage trigger in it.(The HB version with beavertail stock.) I am leaning more towards this rifle due the price is just a little more than a varmint model CZ. I am also factoring in what the cost will be to put a two stage trigger in the CZ. (Almost all of the bolt action rifles that I own are of a European manufacture, hence my preference when it comes to two stage triggers.)

I have not looked at the ruger, marlin or savage yet and I am going to check out a few of them later on in the week. So hopefully I will make up my mind soon. I am still factoring in what glass I want to put on the rifle too. I will keep you all updated about what I finally decide on.

The advantage of the Ruger is that there is tons and tons of aftermarket accessories available. But after you put all the money into upgrades, you will wind up wishing you had bought an Annie in the first place.

I was considering the Ruger route at one point. I was going to add a Green Mountain barrel and get a headspace job and a custom trigger. After looking at all of the costs, it just made better sense to go the Anschutz route.

I still need to do a bed job, but that is about it. At some point, I will rebarrel, but I think the current barrel is plenty fine and the chambering job is clean and very tight.

Exactly the way I am thinking. I added up the costs of what it would take to get a ruger to where I want it and the annie is actually the cheaper way to go ironically. I was weighing almost the same thing when I was deciding to buy a bolt action in .308. I went with a remington and now finally I am currently in the final stages of getting it all assembled. I added up all the cost on that and I was wondering maybe I should have bought an AI rifle instead...