• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

17 HMR scope?

poke5353

Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
Central Arkansas
I am looking to buy a good quality optic for a 17 HMR that I am about to buy. I intend on using it for prairie dogging. What are some recommendations? Not looking to a swarovski or anything that hight end. Just something reasonable.

Thanks

Re: 17 HMR scope?

since the 17hmr is a 100-150 yard gun I wouldn't drop too much on a scope. I like good glasss....have a uso on my 50 but use a $120 3x9x40 brunton in my 17hmr annie.

just my 2 cents

When it comes to the 17hmr there are three scope which i recommend and also have on my guns.

First, the bushnell elite 3200. a 3-9x40 is in the mid hundreds. you can also opt for a 50 mm objective or a straight 10. its good clear glass and an excellent scope without breaking the bank.

Second, a Nikon prostaff in 3-9 by 40 or 5o is in the low hundreds to the mid hundreds. Its quality built and has a clear sight picture.

Neither of the first two have turret knobs so if that's what your looking for check out number 3...

Last but not least...BSA Sweet 17. This scope has a built in BDC knob that allows you to zero at 100 then turn it up to 300 yards. It is in the mid hundreds and has a great sight picture and is a decent cheap piece of glass. I am not as crazy about this scope as i was 3 years ago but i never mention 17 hmr scopes without this one.

My last bit of advice comes only if you are buying a target (hard) gray ruger 77/17. The only scope maker who makes the same finish is leupold and the scopes are $500 which is usually $50 - $100 more than the gun. But if you don't mind two tone then it won't matter.

Best of luck with your scope picking...

Josh

I personally think for a 17 HMR it is better to go with a 0 MOA base and a scope zeroed for 100 yards, with ballistic markings. I make several P-dog trips a year and got a 17HMR last June. I find it effective with NO WIND out to a bit over 200 yards and have heard claims by a friend of 300 yd shots; again with no wind (that is really pushing the capabilities of that cartridge). That said, I would recommend any of the variable scopes with a ballistic reticle that have elevation "hold" points on the reticle. Burris developed the Ballistic Plex reticle and it has caught on throughout the optics industry. Numerous hunter friendly variations are available. A P-dog is a small target and you don't want bold reticle lines such as Boone and Crocket (Leupold) designed for big game. You don't have to break the bank, but I would recommend a variable scope with no less than 14x power and I have several scopes I use on P-dogs that are in the range of 20-25x.

I originally put a leupold, 4.5-14 on my Ruger 77/17 stainless, but, eventhough the scope was clear, I wanted more magnifacation for shooting prairie dogs, and put an el-cheapo, Tasco 6-24 with mil-dots on it. With 100 yard zero, on a CALM day, I can hit dogs at 200 yards holding one dot high.

3-9 x 40 is pretty good for this gun

if your punching paper out to 200 it should suffice although you could go that little bit higher if you wanted to see the holes at 200.

I have a bushnell Elite 4200 3-9 x 40 and im happy with this choice of scope