175 smk pushed by a 300 win mag

Run N Gun

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2010
KY
I was wandering if anyone has reloaded any 175 smk in a 300 win mag. I'm getting ready to do some playing around and thought about loading the 175's in a 300 since I have a bunch and shoot them in my 308.

I am looking at using two powders to start out with. The Sierra manaul has 71.6grs of IMR 4831 as their accuracy load. I also am going to try using 76.5 grs of H1000. Both will be pushing the bullet around 2900 to 3000 fps.

I'll set the bullet to be about .010 from jam lenght as a start.

If you guys have loaded a 300 with the 175's let me know what your findings have been.

Reactions: Edsel
Was planning on doing this and bumped into this ancient thread during a search.

Thought it would be awesome to bring it back to life…

It reeks of the stench of a dozen years!…

Not with a .300 win mag but just got done doing it in a .300 RUM. I had a few hundred 175 TMK left over from trying to get my .308 to a 1000 yards and I had recently picked up a Remington RUM in a hunting chassis. I did a little swapping around and now have it in a MagPul stock and slapped a Nikon FX scope on it, Worked up some loads ( that sucker eats a LOT of H1000 ) and it does great at 1000 ! If I'm not mistaking it was pushing them at about 3200 fps

Having shot and reloaded for competition for decades with pretty good success I can give you a bit of advice.
Find an accuracy node for each bullet that allows 25-50 fps difference and still shoots little bitty groups
Find a bullet and powder combo
That takes up most of case capacity of caliber
I find keeping 3000 fps in 300wm gives me my best consistent accuracy

That usually means 190-210 grain bullets for consistency

The 175 are really too light for a good reliable ultimate precision load. They do do a tremendous amount of damage launched from a 300wm

I did it with my Bergara... 26" x 1:10 barrel.

Used Ramshot Magnum 😆

Don't remember the charge... I would have to look at my records.

Had some decent accuracy. Velocity was impressive... ES/SD was not.

Give me a bit, I'll have to dig.

Mike

OK...

I used Peterson 300 WM "Long" brass
Fed 215's... Blue box, not FGMM
175 SMK's of course.
Ramshot Magnum 78.6 to 87.3 by .5 gr inc's.

CBTO was 2.860" don't remember what that translated to for COAL.

I started to get tighter bolt lift at 86.0 so I stopped.

Best groups were 83.1 and 83.6 (3 shot groups)

83.1 was just under 3/4"

83.6 was about .68" rough measurement with calipers.

Velocity was over 3100

I don't remember why I didn't work on it further.

Mike

Having shot and reloaded for competition for decades with pretty good success I can give you a bit of advice.
Find an accuracy node for each bullet that allows 25-50 fps difference and still shoots little bitty groups
Find a bullet and powder combo
That takes up most of case capacity of caliber
I find keeping 3000 fps in 300wm gives me my best consistent accuracy

That usually means 190-210 grain bullets for consistency

The 175 are really too light for a good reliable ultimate precision load. They do do a tremendous amount of damage launched from a 300wm

Rifle’s really not meant for any of that.

It’s a Tikka T3x SS Lite in an aluminum chassis, unthreaded barrel without a brake.

Magazines are length - constrained, can’t “load long” unless chambered individually.

Not really built for the “heavies…”

Probably going to be unpleasant to use.

It’s more of a “might as well make something out of it” build.

Hoping that lighter bullets would be less punishing.

And, I don’t really want to buy more bullets :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
IMG_3502.jpeg

IMG_3503.jpeg

:ROFLMAO:

Similar

Vanguard 300 WBY Mag
165 gr Accubond
84 gr RL 22
3325 fps 1 MOA
COL2.830
COAL 3.580
CCI 250
Killed elk with this load 515 yd

Just an added note:

I tried out some Warner Tool 180 Flatline bullets in the same rifle. Even used the same Peterson brass...

But I used Alliant PP 4000 MR powder.

Best 3 shot groups on 2 or 3 different outings was well under an inch... 3/4" maybe a little smaller. I want to say I used BR2 primers and the best performing charge weight was 73.5 gr... All the details are in the file folder for that gun. Also the ogive on those bullets is REALLY long so they had to be single fed.

I do remember the velocity average was 3164 fps... ES was under 10 fps... But again, 3 shot groups. However, I got those low numbers every time I shot them. So there may be something there.

I just didn't feel like spending $80+ for 50 bullets again cause I'm a poor... Or cheap.

Most people don't like 4000 MR. It has a pretty narrow bullet weight window where it performs well... But it has done OK for me in the 180 class. Might work for 175's too.

Haven't seen it for sale for a couple years so this may all be a "what if" scenario.

Mike