• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

175SMK + 47gr Varget?

Re: 175SMK + 47gr Varget?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thoughts? </div></div>

The 47gr loads you chrono'd and flattened the letters on were actually 47grs and the ones you thought were 47grs when you posted originally weren't......

What's your fired case water capacity and loaded round OAL (sorry if you posted OAL earlier...)

What velocity do you get with FGMM 175s or any other factory load?

Primer appearance, case appearance and bolt lift are not a reliable way to determine chamber pressure.

60k is the max working limit. I am more interested in running loads that are a few thousand psi under that than over. There is really no difference in downrange performance between those three types of loads.

For a 175, any velocity over 2550 is fine, and the most accurate load will still be the most accurate at all ranges.

TC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thoughts? </div></div>

The 47gr loads you chrono'd and flattened the letters on were actually 47grs and the ones you thought were 47grs when you posted originally weren't...... </div></div>

yes, actually... they were all 47gr. I checked the weight on THREE scales, all of which were checked with check weights. SIX check weights mind you. I'm sure they are all off, and all the check weights are wrong... and I've had a problem for 18 or so years and never known it eh?

I can't help but notice just about every thread I post in, you come and post some idiotic shit. Stalking me?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's your fired case water capacity and loaded round OAL (sorry if you posted OAL earlier...)

What velocity do you get with FGMM 175s or any other factory load? </div></div>

I've never done the water capacity stuff. Sorry. The OAL is 2.800, or as close to it as you can get with SMK's. 2.210 to ogive on that batch. This next batch I'm going to run them 2.220, which will be about 10 thou off the lands in this rifle.

I didn't bother, but I'll fire some black hills match 175's next time I get the chrono setup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 69daytona</div><div class="ubbcode-body">47.5gr of Varget behind the 155Palma is what a good friend of mine uses for Palma matches it comes out the end at 2850 with a 30" barrel and 1-13.5 twist. I would think that load behind a 175smk with a tighter twist would give some pretty high pressure but apperantly your rifle handles it well. I would do what others are asking you to do and meausure the web area. No sense in takeing a chance for a few extra fps. </div></div>

Something is wrong here daytona - that combo should be well over 3k. I get 2975 out of a 30" tight bore and groove Krieger using Lapua brass, a variety of 155s, and 46.3 grs Varget with RWS primers.

WOW
concerned for ya safety here

I routinely run hot loads but that is insane

47.8 under 155 scenar is a known load several here shoot
not however @ 2.800 OAL

Something is very amiss here

Proceed with extreme caution

I talked it over with the barrel/action manufacturer. My experiences didn't surprise him one bit. He suggested nitriding my next barrel, and I'd probably be able to run them up more yet, before seeing pressure. Be that as it may, I'm hoping to settle around 45gr here. We'll see how it goes.

I appreciate the concern though. I proceed with caution EVERY time I'm reloading. Regardless of what I'm doing. It helps me keep my eyes and fingers.
smile.gif

46gr Varget from 17.5" R1A1 = 2625fps. 45gr Varget was slightly slower at 2560fps. British Arsenal Indian 'battle pack' 308 was standard for comparison at 2650fps.
I think bumping to 47gr VArget may yield 2700fps, but the point of the excercise is for the most accurate load(1MOA great, 1.5MOA, cool, 2MOA, may as well stick with arsenal ammo)

Orkan, I shoot 150gr Hornady SSTs with 47gr of Varget and they shoot 1/2" to 3/4" consistently out of my A-Bolt, so it is interesting to hear that you are seeing some promise with that load and bullet weight.