• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

175smk's from GAP 10 308?

Billiegun

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Was wondering how 175 smk's do out of a GAP-10 20" 11.25 twist barrel? That is all I can find at the moment. Was told by GAP that 168's shoot the best but don't want to waist money on ammo that's not going to shoot well. Feedback appreciated.

My Gap barrelled rifle shoots 175 smks and 178 amax real well.I just finished 4 ladder test using varget and rl15 with Lake City LR brass.I started at42.4 grains and went up .2 grains to 44.2.All 4 test came out the same.Load number 5 of 43.2 grains of either powder. Bullets were seated at 2.810.groups were shot at 300 yds.Alot of people here load around 43 grains of varget for gas guns.The varget groups were the best across the board.I am looking forward to reshooting that load.Hope this helps.PS on the 168s .The best group to date is 6 168 Federal GMM in one hole so yea it likes 168s to.

11.25 Twist is the same as the Remington 700 5R which I had one in a 20incher. Although it wasn't a Gas Gun and certainly NOT A GAP but it Loved 175 SMKs Way More than the 168s Especially at Longer Ranges. My understanding is Both the 155 and 175 SMKs outperform the 168 at distances. I think there was a post by LONEWOLFUSMC on this subject once but I can't recall what the title was.

In summary, I think you'll be just fine shooting 175s and they should be A LOT HARDER TO FIND these days. So if it's a good source, I'd appreciate it if you can share so I can get some too...LOL

Cheers.

HOG.

I have a GAP-10 with a 22" barrel, and I use 175 SMKs out to 1250. I've been able to get .5-.75 groups with them. It really comes down to what your plans are for it. If you'll never be engaging anything past 800 then 168 smk will work great. But if you're planning on really stretching it's legs then a higher BC like the 175 or 155 is just a better overall choice.

Thanks for the advice. No I have not been able to find any for a reasonable price but continue to look every day. Placed and order with coppercreek and southwest ammo both in 175 smk's so we will see what happens when I get those orders. Any idea on the wait times from either company?

Placed an order from copper creek but never received any email confirmation. Sent them two emails now requesting a confirmation but no reply to date. Will try and call tomorrow. Has anyone orderd from them recently? Any idea on wait times?

I placed an order for the gas gun load from Copper Creek, 100 rounds. I was told 6 weeks. They said they are waiting on brass. I have called them twice and they always picked up. Great guys and they are only an hour away from me so bonus.