• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Sidearms & Scatterguns 1911 leather

The Angler

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Looking for a new leather holster for my government model 1911. Preferably a belt holster, but I'd still like to hear about others.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like Garrett Industries Silent Thunder for comfort but that's a kydex holster.

When I wear leather is a Tucker Gun Leather I think the series is an HF-1. Its a serious piece of leather and plenty comfortable if I'm wearing a riggers belt but Ill admit that since I ordered my Beltman gun belt I may have had a slice or two too much pizza and the belt is no longer on the middle hole and that with the thickness of the Tucker leather make the belt a little tight.

I usually wear mine in a Milt Sparks Summer Special. The company produces excellent outside of the waistband holsters as well. Ritchie Leather is very nice. He worked with Lou Allesi, a true master. Eric Larsen of HBE leather is highly recommended. The problem is the wait time for all these people.

I love finding deals in the Hide PX. Ive gotten some quality gear at bargain prices. Looks like nice leather.

Thanks, it was beautiful stuff, and a great PX deal.

Another company I was introduced to about 25yrs ago, that has largely remained under the radar, is Horseshoe. A buddy of mine was getting custom holsters from them and they were fantastic:

http://www.holsters.org/

I got one of these from Tucker, Mines less fancy just plain leather...
[IMG2=JSON]{"alt":"HF1 for 1911, Black Cherry, Swirl Cut Stamp","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"351","width":"263","src":"http:\/\/cdn2.bigcommerce.com\/server1400\/6a32b\/products\/41\/images\/546\/Colosseo_3_med__50646.1488944457.1280.1280.JPG?c=2"}[/IMG2]

He offers all sorts of bling especially Texas conchos.....
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/cdn2.bigcommerce.com\/server1400\/6a32b\/products\/41\/images\/547\/Marine_Corps_Concho_Med__39786.1489092510.1280.1280.JPG?c=2"}[/IMG2]

His belts will tow a Mack tractor if there is a need to do that. Edit - I forst stated there would be a wait for Tucker stuff. I waited about 8 months but it looks like the wait times have been scaled back.

http://www.tuckergunleather.com/

Last edited:
I have Five Shot holsters from years past, but much like one man 1911 smiths, the wait list can stretch into years. Worse even than precision rifles.

I got one of these from Tucker, Mines less fancy just plain leather...
[IMG2=JSON]{"alt":"HF1 for 1911, Black Cherry, Swirl Cut Stamp","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"351","width":"263","src":"http:\/\/cdn2.bigcommerce.com\/server1400\/6a32b\/products\/41\/images\/546\/Colosseo_3_med__50646.1488944457.1280.1280.JPG?c=2"}[/IMG2]

He offers all sorts of bling especially Texas conchos.....
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/cdn2.bigcommerce.com\/server1400\/6a32b\/products\/41\/images\/547\/Marine_Corps_Concho_Med__39786.1489092510.1280.1280.JPG?c=2"}[/IMG2]

His belts will tow a Mack tractor if there is a need to do that. Edit - I forst stated there would be a wait for Tucker stuff. I waited about 8 months but it looks like the wait times have been scaled back.

http://www.tuckergunleather.com/

Sumbitch, I was familiar with most of the big names mentioned so far, but had never heard of Tucker. I love that the only service branch Concho he offers is the EGA.
As broke as I am I may ask for one of his holsters for my bday. Now to decide which of my pistols deserves something this pretty. Gonna have to be a 1911, what else.

Leather holsters are a very personal thing. How do I know? I make custom holsters. They are as personal as a pair of shoes or boots. OWB holsters are less so than IWB, for sure. Your body type, carry position, clothing, and expectations, play a huge part in what will work for you vs someone else. That's why most people have a drawer full of holsters that they do not use. Milt Sparks, Kramer, and all the other makers listed above make GREAT holsters. There are basically 4 things a holster can do. It provides concealment, accessibility, security, and comfort. When you change one aspect, it affects all the others. There are a lot of holsters that look similar, but perform very differently. It's going to be very difficult for someone to tell you which holster is right for you. It's kinda like me saying "this boot is so comfortable, you will love it!". You have lots of people giving their opinions based on their experience. That is the best place to start, but don't be surprised if your opinion varies a bit once you try some. I will say this, for CONCEALED CARRY, comfort is KING. If you are carrying for defensive purposes only, and the holster isn't comfortable, you won't carry it 100% of the time. That percentage of time when you don't carry it is when you will need it. A person doing drills at the range has a different set of needs vs a person carrying concealed for protection. Too many people try to mesh the two needs together with one holster. That's great for your pocket book but it doesn't always work out. That's not saying one holster can't work for both, but from my experience, that isn't the "best" way to pick a holster. Pick the holster based on YOUR primary needs and wants, and make sure you understand the design characteristics of the holster, so that you can set you expectations accordingly.

Sumbitch, I was familiar with most of the big names mentioned so far, but had never heard of Tucker. I love that the only service branch Concho he offers is the EGA.
As broke as I am I may ask for one of his holsters for my bday. Now to decide which of my pistols deserves something this pretty. Gonna have to be a 1911, what else.

Its a serious hunk of hide. Mine is about 6 years old and still is pretty stiff like a boot sole. It is my secondary carry holster though, I find the Garret Industry Kydex just so comfortable.

Yes its appreciated that he deigns the USMC worthy of a concho. I may have to get one for a Model 27 Smith sporting that feature.

I think the Tuckers make a great open carry holster for special occasions just don't let your love handles get too far over your belt line though because if they are on a Tucker or Beltman belt the holster wont give your body will have to retreat.

Last edited:
Dirthead, you are one hundred percent correct. I carry in the waistband year around and the Summer Special design is perfect for me. However, except for concealed carry draws to stay in practice, I use a wide range of kydex for comps and range drills. For concealed carry, comfort is everything!

Its a serious hunk of hide. Mine is about 6 years old and still is pretty stiff like a boot sole. It is my secondary carry holster though, I find the Garret Industry Kydex just so comfortable.

Yes its appreciated that he deigns the USMC worthy of a concho. I may have to get one for a Model 27 Smith sporting that feature.

I think the Tuckers make a great open carry holster for special occasions just don't let your love handles get too far over your belt line though because if they are on a Tucker or Beltman belt the holster wont give your body will have to retreat.

Yeah, I wear that Blocker belt at least half the time as an every day belt right now to conform it to my body. It certainly keeps me honest with my waistline. That H1 with the EGA and thumb-break appears to be pretty much exactly what I would want. Do you recall if that's the dark brown or the black cherry color? It's tough to discern in some of the website pics.

I'd say that's dark brown. The one I bought is same except no concho.

The black cherry has a more red color and it goes from dark almost black at the edges to light red in the center.

I'd say that's dark brown. The one I bought is same except no concho.

The black cherry has a more red color and it goes from dark almost black at the edges to light red in the center.

Thanks, and my mistake, I thought that was a picture of one you owned. There's a bit of a color shift from pic to pic on the site.

Thanks, and my mistake, I thought that was a picture of one you owned. There's a bit of a color shift from pic to pic on the site.

I do own one almost exact to the USMC item, No concho and no thumb strap. I stuff a 1911 Commander in mine and it is a tight rig. If you want to use the strap as a hammer safety fine but the guns are fit tight in the holster. They are not just popping out.

The medium brown is like the color of a nice chestnut horse. The USMC holster is medium brown and a pretty good representation of what mine looks like.

Dark brown is more like a chocolate Hersey bar. The first picture with the gun in it appears to be a dark brown.

I dont think I have any pictures of mine but Ill get some if it will be helpful to you.

IMG_1481.JPG
I do own one almost exact to the USMC item, No concho and no thumb strap. I stuff a 1911 Commander in mine and it is a tight rig. If you want to use the strap as a hammer safety fine but the guns are fit tight in the holster. They are not just popping out.

The medium brown is like the color of a nice chestnut horse. The USMC holster is medium brown and a pretty good representation of what mine looks like.

Dark brown is more like a chocolate Hersey bar. The first picture with the gun in it appears to be a dark brown.

I dont think I have any pictures of mine but Ill get some if it will be helpful to you.

I appreciate the offer but don't go out of your way. While I'm finding someone who loves me enough to buy me a Tucker holster I may see if they'd be willing to sell me an EGA concho to go on this Blocker holster to replace the CHP badge.

Well those are sexy, is there a model (or several) you like?

I own a Gochenour High Ride. Used it for several years in TREs when my "cunt was off the couch," as Larry might say. Rusty's stuff is all horsehide. This one is an OWB, minimalist rig that holds high and tight but gives a pretty fast draw. You can't go wrong with his stuff.

I own a Gochenour High Ride. Used it for several years in TREs when my "cunt was off the couch," as Larry might say. Rusty's stuff is all horsehide. This one is an OWB, minimalist rig that holds high and tight but gives a pretty fast draw. You can't go wrong with his stuff.

Great, thanks. I prefer the "high and tight" strong side rigs. Recently realized that I bought a bunch of 1911s when I was overseas but don't have appropriate leather for them. Gonna be almost entirely range use to be honest, with my southern climate I tend to pocket carry.