Rifle Scopes 2.5-10x32 FFP Vortex PST and Recoil any field experience on this model yet ?

pc3

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 26, 2008
Australia
Given the other threads talking about the PST's at the moment I am wondering how this model in particular handles recoil, I was under the impression that this model was built a little tougher. I read somewhere that it was designed to be "at least as durable as the Leupold MK4 scopes" and I have owned a couple of those and was generally pleased (mis matched turrets aside).

I am aware you that you get what you pay for but with this model their seems to be some solid reviews, the scope looks good and it has some excellent features, will a .375 WSM or .458 Socom (full house loads) stress this model PST too much. I dont feel that either calibers are hard kickers and I do think that the scope SHOULD be designed well enough to handle recoil at this level at least.

Prior to my understanding anything about tactical scopes I had no hesitation mounting a Vari X11 leupold 1-4 on my .416 I had at the time, and the 2.5-10x32 FFP PST is at a more expensive price point than that for what it's worth.

If this scope proves to be rugged I do think that Vortex will really be on a winner.

Any opinions/experiences people would like to relay about this model PST in particular would be greatly appreciated.

I have been running one on my .308 gas gun for a while. I really like it. Light enough & small enough, but still gives good performance. I don't think the smaller 32mm Obj is the greatest idea, but if does help keep the weight down at least. I've ordered more of them.

I'm running mine in a braked .30-06... Just came back from Kodiak Alaska from a goat hunt....I will say this: neither I nor Kodiak island was gentle on my gear this trip. 120+lbs in my pack dragging, dropping, lowering packs in ropes down the steeps was not kind to my pack nor my rifle riding in a non padded side pocket of the pack. On the day of fly out back to civilization, we checked our zeros on a 12x12 rock at about 640 yards and rifle was holding zero just fine.
Not a recoil test of any duration but it sure met my needs on a fairly extreme hunt in nasty conditions where optics or rifle breaking down would not have been good..

This is good to hear, may be this 2.5-10x32 FFP PST has been designed and constructed stronger than other model PST scopes. Frogman 77 how did you find the image quality at the 640 yards ?. I would be thinking that breaked 30/06 would be as harsh as .458 socom and I bet your 30/06 is pretty light being a hunting rifle.

by the way be good to see some pics of that goat hunt I bet the landscape would have been great !!

cheers pc3

Last edited:
I'll post some hunt pics when I get a chance to load then off the camera :)
image quality was nice and clear on 10x and posed no problems shooting out to 1100 yards on rocks.. Unfortunately I missed my shot on a goat due to miscalculation on the angle. Optic tracked perfectly and presented a great sight picture. IMO the image was way better tHan my 4-16 pst which the 2.5-10x32 replaced on this rifle. It's a .30-06 tikka t3lite about 6.5lbs before optics. I can't comment on whether or not it was constructed differently but rifle scope and pack took a serious beating on the way down off the mountain and held zero just fine...

It was Great trip to say the least... Glad to have been fortunate enough to experience Alaska this way. Probably the most extreme hunt I've been on. For now :)

I have two of them, on a .22 wmr Anschutz and FN Scar 16s so not he most recoil, but they're handling it just fine. The only thing I dislike about the scope is the length. Oh so long when these days scopes are getting more and more compact. Similar in length to many 14-16x scopes.