• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes 2 rifles sharing 1 scope??

Do-able but a PITA - I'll usually buy a used or semi-cheap 'temporary' optic if I don't have a spare versus swapping optics. Once an optic is set up on a rifle, I prefer to leave it there unless it's really a 'once-in-a-blue-moon' shooter, which I try not to have.

Having said that, there are some solid deals on some 'pretty good' optics in the classifieds, if this is the difference between purchasing your 'dream' optic or not. e.g. used Bushnell DMR, DMR-2, ERS, Burris XTR-2, some USOs, SWFA SS - can all be had at good discounts from retail.

If you're insistent on swapping, I'd suggest marking the rail position for each rifle - dots of whiteout or marker may suffice, to make sure you're putting the optic back in the same rail slots on each rifle, and making an insert for inside the scope or turret caps (if covered turrets) with zero for rifle X, and offset for rifle Y. I do this for one of my caliber conversion guns - leaving the optic mounted to the receiver, but offset and re-zero when I swap the barrel etc. Not quite the same, as the optic in this case remains mounted...

YMMV, but the more repeatable you can make it, the better off you'll be.

You don't say what your trying to scope and for what purpose, but one of these these below are good, inexpensive, and solid scopes to fill that odd rifle you can't afford to but a $1k plus scope on right now. They also make superb back up scopes, that you can keep sighted-in, when one of your primo variable scopes goes tits up. All are on sale this weekend......

https://swfa.com/catalog/product/view/id/105767/

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-10x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope-3.html

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-3-9x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope.html

I have experience doing exactly this. I have a Khales that I put into a Geisele mount and it travels between 3 different rifles.

It is zeroed to my main rifle at -.3, L2 clicks.

On my 300WM it is set to 0, L8

And on my other 260 Remington it gets set to 1.9, 13L.

I just keep track of it in my phone with some notes and I have my offset adjusted in Applied Ballistics to compensate for elevation. It works fine. When I go to the range I will take a 1 to 3 shots just to check the zero, but so far it has been just fine. I also mark where on my rails the scope sits.

I do this with a Tikka CTR 6.5 creedmoor and a Tikka Varmint 223. They share an SWFA 5-20 HD. It's a bit of a pain, but do-able. Like BBBB, I keep notes on adjustment between the two guns. They shared an SWFA 16x42 for awhile.

My alternative is only owning one of the guns. Buying another $1k scope is not an option for me financially right now.

Another option that I myself am considering, if you want to share optics, is get a vortex razor 2 or AMG scope because those turrets are pretty easy to run with multiple calibers/rifles. Just make notes or mark the inner turret on what each rifle zero is and you can get it exactly there if you don't want to take too much time to shoot to re zero or check offsets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends if you have time to zero each time you shoot. Sure you’ll be close to your previous zero but will you be perfect? In my experience, no. I do as mentioned above. I have cheaper scopes that function just find until I can justify spending money on a higher tier scopes for my non-primary rifles.

Spuhr or ARC m10 I've had great results. Just remember to place it in the exact same rail slots every time, push the optics forward when tightening, same torque etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been doing this with a Kahles 624i for 3 or 4 years now. Run it in ARC M10 rings and haven't had problems. I keep the offsets handy in my phone, mark on the rails where it sits and just rezero the turrets when I switch rifles. I don't use the offsets feature in the ballistic computer since I know my dope in my head and don't want to have to think 8.1 mils for a 200 yard shot or something weird.

This past year I shot the KM Precision weekend with a gas gun match that ended Saturday at 11a and the bolt gun match started an hour or so later. Swapped scopes in between, double checked my zero on the range and didn't have to change a thing. My offsets were spot on and the group I shot was dead center after swapping rifles and moving turrets. When you use good equipment you get good results. I've never been more than 0.1 mils off, ever. It's doable. Would I like to have another scope, sure. Would I take 2 cheaper scopes over 1 good scope, nope. It works.

Edit to add: I also use a torque wrench every time I switch. If I didn't I'm not sure what would happen.

I've been doing this with a Kahles 624i for 3 or 4 years now. Run it in ARC M10 rings and haven't had problems. I keep the offsets handy in my phone, mark on the rails where it sits and just rezero the turrets when I switch rifles. I don't use the offsets feature in the ballistic computer since I know my dope in my head and don't want to have to think 8.1 mils for a 200 yard shot or something weird.

This past year I shot the KM Precision weekend with a gas gun match that ended Saturday at 11a and the bolt gun match started an hour or so later. Swapped scopes in between, double checked my zero on the range and didn't have to change a thing. My offsets were spot on and the group I shot was dead center after swapping rifles and moving turrets. When you use good equipment you get good results. I've never been more than 0.1 mils off, ever. It's doable. Would I like to have another scope, sure. Would I take 2 cheaper scopes over 1 good scope, nope. It works.

Edit to add: I also use a torque wrench every time I switch. If I didn't I'm not sure what would happen.

This has been my experience as well. I'm typically around .1 mils off if I'm off at all. I'm running a Talley base on one rifle, the OEM Tikka base on my CTR, and cheap SWFA rings.

I have 2 decent scopes in ADM mounts that I swap between a couple rifles. One is a 20 MOA cant that I swap between ARs and the other is a parallel mount that I swap between bolt rifles that have 20 MOA rails. Most of the time I shoot one rifle for a while then move the optic to a different rifle. But when the urge strikes me I do take multiple rifles and change optics at the range. It works well and just takes a second to re-zero.

Here is a video on my setup.

https://youtu.be/lPy2oOfV9zQ