22 ARC Build

Maelstrom

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
Southern Maryland
I am getting ready to start gathering parts for a 22 ARC build. Right now the only parts I have on hand are a Magpul stock and Geissele Mark 18 handguard. I was looking at the Faxon barrels but not sure if there is a better option. I am thinking about an 18" or 20" stainless barrel. Do I need to go rifle length +1 with the 20" barrel? The main use for the rifle will be coyote, fox, and groundhogs but I am thinking about trying it out on pigs in Florida next year. It will probably put my last Bushnell LRHSi scope with a Seekins cantilever mount on it. It's been awhile since I built an AR so I am looking for suggestions for the upper and lower as well as the lpk. One of my hunting buddies is suggesting a Gibbz side charging upper but I have no experience with them. I don't mind sp3dding a little more to get better quality but would like to keep the build around $1,000 or so.

Reactions: 1791PrecisionArmory
Don’t cheap out on your barrel.

I’m liking the semi-monolithic uppers more and more. All of them but the aero’s are going to wreck your budget though.

Reactions: LRRPF52
If I need to spend more I will. I was looking at a Bartlein but that alone was close to $1,000 by itself. I have about $1,200 in cash right now for this build. If I need to pick up a few more part time shifts so be it.

Reactions: Jsp556
I think quarter minute arms may have X caliber barrels in stock for 22 arc. I’ve been really impressed with their barrels in a couple builds. Just bought a wylde barrel from Matt at qma and it’s very nice so far.

I have been looking at uppers and lowers. Trying to figure out what I want to buy. I was looking for a geissele upperand lower set but can't find them anywhere. This morning installed looking at BCM. I found the lowers but can't find a stripped upper. Any other brands of upper and lowers that are recommended to look at? The last time I bought a lower was a Stag about 15 years ago.

I ordered a Magpul PRS Lite stock, MIAD grip, BCM MK2 buffer spring and tube and ambi charging handle today from Brownells. I found a Geissele upper in stock but will wait until the lower comes back, in stock

So I have decided to go with the Craddock RTR barrel. Debating between the 18" and the 20". Would an A5 buffer system or standard buffer system be better? The 20" is a rifle length +1 gas tube. The 18" is a rifle length gas tube.