• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site Updates Coming Soon - We're Updating The Homepage!

We've got some exciting changes coming, check the thread below for more info!

VIEW THREAD

22 Creedmoor Load Data

grandmaster23

Private
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2020
Hello,

I am new to the forum. I am really looking for some answers, as i am a little stumped. I am trying to find a good load for my 22 creedmoor with the 78gr mth cutting edge bullets. I have been using peterson cartridge brass and federal 215 magnum primers. I've been experimenting with rl26 and the results aren't terrible but not as tight of a group, as I would like. I have h4350 as well. I know some of you been using that and seems to work very well. The confusing part is that some people are loading 43gr of h4350 and from what peterson says, that would be way over pressure according to their data. Is there anybody out there using peterson brass and the 78gr mth bullets with good data? I also have h4831 and 4831sc. Peterson brass for a 78gr bullets recommends starting at 38gr of h4350 but that seems too low, as well. Could different brand brass really vary that dramatically for charge weights?Any information would be greatly appreciated, I would call Peterson directly but they are closed until Monday. Thanks.

specs:
Barrel- 1:7 Mullerworks at 22"
Bullet: 78 gr mth Cutting Edge
Brass- Peterson
Primer- Federal 215 Magnum Rifle

Well I don’t have tons of reloading experience and I’m not using the bullets you are but with 4350 hornady brass with standard cci primers and 95 smk’s I’m running 35.5-35.8 grains and it’s getting me 2800 FPS out of a 18” barrel with a 1:6.5 twist. Anything over about 36.2 was giving me pretty heavy bolt lift.

Assume you’ve seen this? Might get someone to reply in there.

I’m at 42.8gr of H4350 with Peterson brass and a 75gr Hornady ELDm. It’s out of a gasser and I’m trashing the brass pretty good. Ejector swipes but it’s my hunting rig and a lot of the time I’m losing the brass in the dark.

Hello,

I am new to the forum. I am really looking for some answers, as i am a little stumped. I am trying to find a good load for my 22 creedmoor with the 78gr mth cutting edge bullets. I have been using peterson cartridge brass and federal 215 magnum primers. I've been experimenting with rl26 and the results aren't terrible but not as tight of a group, as I would like. I have h4350 as well. I know some of you been using that and seems to work very well. The confusing part is that some people are loading 43gr of h4350 and from what peterson says, that would be way over pressure according to their data. Is there anybody out there using peterson brass and the 78gr mth bullets with good data? I also have h4831 and 4831sc. Peterson brass for a 78gr bullets recommends starting at 38gr of h4350 but that seems too low, as well. Could different brand brass really vary that dramatically for charge weights?Any information would be greatly appreciated, I would call Peterson directly but they are closed until Monday. Thanks.

specs:
Brass- Peterson
I have zero experience with the bullet you are using. I have not yet had a chance to fire any of the necked down Peterson 6.5 CM brass, which I have dedicated for my 22 CM, so I have no experience with its internal volume based on my chamber.

What I do know from personal experience is case volume by brass manufacturer varies, starting with 6.5 CM brass. For instance, and mind you this brass was all trimmed to the same length before firing but may vary in OAL length in it's once-fired state from my chamber, the internal volume of water weight capacity, based on an average of 10 random cases weight is: Nosler LRP brass - 52.13 gr, Hornady LRP - 52.87 gr, Winchester LRP - 52.71 gr and Lapua SRP - 51.32.

Unsure if this is relevant to you but in my attempt to replicate a load with with all components the same other than brass, I found that my 42.0 gr load in Lapua brass needed to be upped to 42.9 gr in the Hornady brass to give me the same predicted barrel time after QL inputs had been trued with real life data. When tested using the same POA, both loads gave me the same POI.

Knowing my chamber capacity based on QL output numbers with my known inputs installed, I may be able to load up to 43 gr of H4350 with Hornady brass but likely would not with Lapua brass with the reduced capacity.

As always, start low and work up to signs of pressure...

Hello,

specs:
Brass- Peterson
I pulled some spark munitions bullets (75 gr eldm load) and found that the powder appears to be 42.4 grains of winchester Staball 6.5 powder. The one thing that seems to be consistent with 22 CM is that a magnum primer tends to cause pressure spikes fluctuations in velocity. I have a gas gun as well and I will say that it is rough on brass, but I need to tune it further.

Well, I stand corrected. I just ran a string of 22 CM. Bullet was a Sierra 77 tmk, 42.4 gr Staball, AR SR primer, col 2.64 with new peterson brass, ended up with 3363 avg fps, 7.2 SD. AR10 with 26 in Ranier Arms bbl 1/7 twist, rifle gas plus 2. Berger 77's gave me a 24.1 sd avg 3312 fps with col of 2.6, 42.4 gr staball, ar sr primer, New peterson brass. H4350 was 200 fps slower than Staball, groups with 4350 were an inch, staball yielded one ragged hole