• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

22 Steel Target Recommendations?

PhilYoung

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2018
I shot my first NRL match and I really like it. I'd like to practice on steel at my 100 yard range and was wondering what would be some good targets to get. I saw the NRL target pack but that's a little more than I'm willing to spend right now.

I'd like to get a couple targets and stay under $150.

Is it safe to assume you are shooting sub sonic ammo? If yes, 1/4 mild steel is fine. I shoot 1/4 mild steel with 22 all the time at 50 yards and after thousands of rounds there are just barely getting a little beat up. Shot them with 17HMR at 100 plenty as well.

That being said.....i've gone to mostly AR500 because it seems like an idiot friend or relative forgets and shoots an AR at them and goes right through 1/4 mild. I've had good luck with Hang Fast Steel-Norcal911

Reactions: Boar Pig
I like the reactive / flapper targets. Big Dog Targests has few couple of rimfire options, 25% IPSC is fun. I ended up cutting the mount off and drilling a hole

http://www.bigdogsteel.com/rimfiretargets.html

I don't recommend that flapper 25% IPSC target. It's very unreliable because you have to get the distance just right for the power level of the ammo to get the flappers to go back and forth even somewhat reliably. Bigdog should have thought about the design of this much much more!

I don't recommend that flapper 25% IPSC target. It's very unreliable because you have to get the distance just right for the power level of the ammo to get the flappers to go back and forth even somewhat reliably. Bigdog should have thought about the design of this much much more

Yeah, I noticed that on the web site the flapper goes side-side, but both of mine swing up when hit then gravity does the rest. Fully agree, if they go side-side, that would be an issue.

20181103_111740.jpg

20181103_111653.jpg

Reactions: steve123
Very best steel targets are Kyl swingers made by stirkus Kyl sets

Easy DIY set for under $150
Side brackets
Target hangers
Targets
Stop collar

You pick up 3/4" EMT conduit for legs and crossbars, chains nuts and bolts for hanging targets from the local hardware store

Best size are light enough to see hits, but henavy enough to dampen quickly, 2" and 3" needs 3/8",
4" and 5" need 1/4", and 6" and bigger needs 3/16"

Last edited: