• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

223 bolt gun barrel length

Re: 223 bolt gun barrel length

Would recommend at least 1:7 to take advantage of the 90 grains. Barrel length is a controversial topic. My Tikka T3 has 23". Bottom line is if you push it hard enough, it will get there giving the right BC and all.

There is nothing controversial about barrel length; the longer the barrel the higher the muzzle velocity.

For the 1000 yard game, minimum 26, 28 is better and 30 is probably best. As for twist, well I never liked the 90gr bullet, I didn't think the added BC was better than the 12% increase in weight, so I use the 80gr in a 1:7.7 twist. 1:8 works fine also.

F T/R rifle in 223 I'd suggest 30", 8 twist, and run 80gr bullet. A-max, Berger, JLK, or SMK will get job done at 1K....or 600 yds.

26 or 28" barrel isn't a bad choice but for a dedicated F T/R rifle I'd go 30".

Agree

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FCS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">F T/R rifle in 223 I'd suggest 30", 8 twist, and run 80gr bullet. A-max, Berger, JLK, or SMK will get job done at 1K....or 600 yds.

26 or 28" barrel isn't a bad choice but for a dedicated F T/R rifle I'd go 30". </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sig685</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is nothing controversial about barrel length; the longer the barrel the higher the muzzle velocity.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">For the 1000 yard game, minimum 26, 28 is better and 30 is probably best.</span></span> As for twist, well I never liked the 90gr bullet, I didn't think the added BC was better than the 12% increase in weight, so I use the 80gr in a 1:7.7 twist. 1:8 works fine also. </div></div>

True that longer barrel is better when you want to gain that bit of velocity. Also, it is not an issue if you park your gun on a bench and shoot 1K. However, if you have to run around in rough terrains and shoot it of some weird positions, then that extra 3- 4 inches of barrel may not be as critical. That's was what I meant by barrel length being controversial. So it boils down to what do you want to do with the stick. Some people feel going short "enough" and whatever that "enough" happens to be, is better for maneuvering and such. I don't do benchrest so to me having a 30" barrel is going to get in my way more than anything else.

I am testing out 21" barrel in 8 twist w/80 AMAX. It will make 1000 yds but it seems very painful for me if much wind. A 20" makes 600 yds no problem with anything over 75 gr bullet.

30" with minimum of 8 twist if you were going to be a bit more serious for 1000.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
True that longer barrel is better when you want to gain that bit of velocity. Also, it is not an issue if you park your gun on a bench and shoot 1K. However, if you have to run around in rough terrains and shoot it of some weird positions, then that extra 3- 4 inches of barrel may not be as critical. That's was what I meant by barrel length being controversial. So it boils down to what do you want to do with the stick. Some people feel going short "enough" and whatever that "enough" happens to be, is better for maneuvering and such. I don't do benchrest so to me having a 30" barrel is going to get in my way more than anything else. </div></div>

What you say is absolutely true, but it does not apply here as the OP specifically stated 1000yards F-T/R. That's why I saw no controversy in this thread for a longer barrel. I will also state that my F-TR .308 has a 32 inch barrel and I can assure you I get more that a few FPS from it over a 24 inch, it's more like 200FPS.

The .223 Remington is really handicapped at 1000 yards, you every inch of barrel will help. One has to be careful to stay within the weight limits of an F-TR rifle, however, and that includes the scope and the bipod. If it's possible, I would say go 32 inch.