223 Brass?

MitchInOR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2008
Oregon, Willamette Valley
I want to start loading for my AR and am looking to buy a quantity of brass. I probably will be loading 75g bullets for accuracy to 500-600 yards.
There is a lot of once fired LC available.
Is this good stuff to use or would I be much better off buying new?
Also does it matter if the crimp is reamed or swagged?

Re: 223 Brass?

LC brass is fine for plinking, prarie dog hunting, etc. But if you want real accuracy, start with new quality brass, sort it by weight, trim it, debur the flash holes, square up the primer pockets, FL size for your rifle. There are whole books on how to prep your brass for accuracy, but that's the basics. But back to your question, once fired LC is not the best choice if you want to load for accuracy. IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchinOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to start loading for my AR and am looking to buy a quantity of brass. I probably will be loading 75g bullets for accuracy to 500-600 yards.
Also does it matter if the crimp is reamed or swagged? </div></div>

I hvae picked up a great deal of once fired LC brass several years ago. It can shoot <span style="font-weight: bold">VERY </span>accurately if you prep it properly. This means some of the steps listed above. In answer to your question about the crimp, I currently use an RCBS trim mate to trim the crimp off. Clean the brass thoroughly and inspect it, resize it and trim it to the same length for all of them, I do it to 1.750. Next, run the pieces through the trim mate. I do it in this order: Trim the primer pocket, uniform the pocket, chamfer (I use a VLD chamfer,) deburr and then flash hole uniform. I only do this once for a piece of brass, the first time I use it. If I ever trim a case, I chamfer and deburr only.

One more trick for match ammo is to keep the brass together. I store mine in 100-round boxes and keep track of the number of firings for each box. I make a mark in the lid every time I seat new primers. For once-fired military brass, I start at two. When the time comes to trim a case, I do it for all the cases in the box. That's usually about 4-5 primer seats. But that's in my match rifles. You may want to adjust for yours. Some will suggest a Gireaud or Gracey or even RCBS trimmer for this step.

Black Hills Blue Box uses once fired military brass and they do not sort by weight or year. It's very accurate ammo also. Well, as accurate as once can get with the 77gr SMK, which is not too bad for a match bullet.

Any military .223 brass (except maybe Nrinco/Chinasport/Chinese, which is utter crap) is useable with proper case prep (guageing, weighing, f/l resizing, trimming, primer pocket crimp removal (usually), flash hole reaming, neck turning (possibly)). For the better part of the past decade, I used the same big batch of Malaysian miltary .223 brass nearly exclusively, and with excellent results.

Commercial brass is usually at least as good, and does not have crimped primer pockets. It will also usually benefit from most of the same prep techniques.

I use Winchester .223 brass pretty regularly, because it works, and because it's usually on the shelf (current sortages excepted) locally.

Wichester is my commercial brass of choice also. I tried Lapua but simply did not think it was 3 times better than Winchester. It did require less prep than Winchester does the first time, but again, this does not justify its high price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sig685</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchinOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to start loading for my AR and am looking to buy a quantity of brass. I probably will be loading 75g bullets for accuracy to 500-600 yards.
Also does it matter if the crimp is reamed or swagged? </div></div>

I hvae picked up a great deal of once fired LC brass several years ago. It can shoot <span style="font-weight: bold">VERY </span>accurately if you prep it properly. This means some of the steps listed above. In answer to your question about the crimp, I currently use an RCBS trim mate to trim the crimp off. Clean the brass thoroughly and inspect it, resize it and trim it to the same length for all of them, I do it to 1.750. Next, run the pieces through the trim mate. I do it in this order: Trim the primer pocket, uniform the pocket, chamfer (I use a VLD chamfer,) deburr and then flash hole uniform. I only do this once for a piece of brass, the first time I use it. If I ever trim a case, I chamfer and deburr only.

One more trick for match ammo is to keep the brass together. I store mine in 100-round boxes and keep track of the number of firings for each box. I make a mark in the lid every time I seat new primers. For once-fired military brass, I start at two. When the time comes to trim a case, I do it for all the cases in the box. That's usually about 4-5 primer seats. But that's in my match rifles. You may want to adjust for yours. Some will suggest a Gireaud or Gracey or even RCBS trimmer for this step.

Black Hills Blue Box uses once fired military brass and they do not sort by weight or year. It's very accurate ammo also. Well, as accurate as once can get with the 77gr SMK, which is not too bad for a match bullet. </div></div>

This is how I prep and handle my 308 brass. With Lapua I leave the primer pockets alone. Auto loaders seem to be alot harder on brass so I don't think I can justify the cost of lapua for an AR15, hence questioning using used LC or possibly Winchester brass.

I see LC being sold for $85/1000 and have seen the same with the crimp reamed for $20-$30 more. The preped cases would sure save a lot of time if done properly.

If you want to be kind to your brass from an AR-15, the best thing to do is to get a CWS and a CS buffer spring. My brass looks like it was gently shot from a bolt action rifle instead of hot loaded in an AR-15.