• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

.223 build question

branct06

KOPFJAGER
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2010
High Point N.C.
I have a Nikon M223 rifle scope I bought a year or two ago and was going to put it on my M4 but soon found that impractical for my uses of the firearm. I am looking to buy a .223 caliber bolt gun and build it up and was looking for ideas on a good rifle to start this project. I am going to bed the action and put in a timmney trigger and plan on refinishing the rifle.... any ideas on a good rig to start with?

Re: .223 build question

223 SPS Tactical on the lower end or the LTR on the higher end. Both have 1-9" twist I believe so you can shoot at least 69gr bullets. Standard Rem 700's are 1-12" so only the light bullets for those.

I'm looking at shooting the 55gr because thats what the scope is designed for but I'm sure anything would work just fine, looking at the 1/9 twist i would go 1/8-1/7 if i wanted to shoot heavier than 69gr

To me it comes down to how soon are you going to replace the factory stock. if it is right away then go SPS Tactical and pick your stock. If you want to shoot for awhile then upgrade I say go 700P with the HS precision stock. Both are great rifles just different setups.

T2CH--Thanks for the link
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TJB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking at shooting the 55gr because thats what the scope is designed for but I'm sure anything would work just fine, looking at the 1/9 twist i would go 1/8-1/7 if i wanted to shoot heavier than 69gr
</div></div>
Sounds like your getting the cart ahead of the horse. I'd sell the scope, listen and follow whats been said here, and start from scratch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TJB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking at shooting the 55gr because thats what the scope is designed for but I'm sure anything would work just fine, looking at the 1/9 twist i would go 1/8-1/7 if i wanted to shoot heavier than 69gr
</div></div>
Sounds like your getting the cart ahead of the horse. I'd sell the scope, listen and follow whats been said here, and start from scratch. </div></div>

Solid advice! I wouldnt build a rifle around glass, I would build the rifle and then save for glass.

As stated above the SPS-T is an easy way into this, the stock just sucks. Picking up an LTR is another great choice or even a PSS/700P if you want to stay Remington. For the most part all 3 will shout just dandy out of the box.

I wanted a good 223 for my wife so went for a full-tilt build using an older B-series R700 action. Remington action, PTG single pc bolt, McMillan A5, Brux 1-8" barrel, Badger metal, with some goodness from Mike Bush will equal one slick rig for her.

You can spend as much or little as you want to a point, set a budget and work with it.