• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

223 load suggestions???

Re: 223 load suggestions???

Newest load worked up in the last couple of weeks that is shooting well in my Savage 12 .223 w/26" barrel 1X9 twist
RL-15-23.0 gr
77 Nosler Custom Comp
CCI #41 Primer
OAL 2.283
Last time out shot a .45 and .55 5 shot group at 100 giving me hope in gun, load, and me!The ice fog began drifting in preventing testing at 300. Temp was 18F

69 grn smk
wcc brass
cci br4 primer
25.4 varget
2.324 oal (touching lands)

shoots .3's

found its better to fl size and bump .02/.03 rather than trying to neck size only in savage.

So if I'm trying to set up my Hornady LNL Progressive what type of powder should I use to get consistent loads thrown out out the powder dispenser for .223? I have about 3000 cases I'd like to load, but I cant ever get the hornady powder measure to throw a consistent, or ever close to consistent loads for rifle powder. any suggestions for .223 loads? I was trying to use 3031 but it varies sometimes buy 1 to 2 grains. per case. What powder will work well in a hornady powder measure on a LNL progressive press?

Always include the pill weight as some powders are "recommended" for heavier pills than other.
RL-15 progressively is +/- .3 grain in my Dillon .(usually on the + side)
Ramshot TAC +/- .2 Recommended for 60 +
BLC-2 +/- .2 Lighter pills
Win 748 is a Ball meters sweet also
Varget, the favorite, does not meter as well as any of these.

Be advised that temperature sensitivity may be an issue for you, based on your location. 3K rounds may take you though a change of season. Not me, it's cold down here when the temp is below 50.