223 Reminngton Barrel Life

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
How long does a 223 Remington barrel typically last before accuracy falls off? It is a Krieger 1:9" twist cut rifled barrel in stainless steel, 22" long, shooting 52 - 69 grain loads.

- Phil

Re: 223 Reminngton Barrel Life

+1 on around the 4k mark. Some of my buddies shooting HP replace their barrels at around 3500.
However, a barrel can be "serviceable" well beyond that, depending on your requirements.
The barrel on one of my 3-gun rifles (JP) has ~8000 rounds through it and though it's not as accurate as when it was new, it still shoots nice enough groups to be used in matches.

Re: 223 Reminngton Barrel Life

Not all barrels are created equal, so your mileage will vary greatly depending on: 1) the quality of the barrel you start with (incl. the material the barrel is made of, whether it is chrome-lined, etc.); 2) the ammo you shoot from the rifle (if you are pushing the pressure and velocity limits of the rifle...your barrel will suffer from wear and accuracy loss faster); 3) the kind of shooting you do with the rifle (controlled, single round fire when hunting, slower continuous fire, etc. will let a barrel achieve a longer life while running repeated mag dumps or getting the barrel white hot will kill it quicker).

I have a Krieger 1:7.7 barrel that runs 75gr and 77gr match reloads almost exclusively and it has approx. 6,200 rounds through the barrel and it is still going strong with no signs of reduced accuracy. Again...YMMV.