• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

.223 Runout I guess

RPMG

Private
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2010
Hello,

I am new to the site and this is my first post. This is a great site!! I just started reloading and have a question. I have a Lee Single Stage Press and a Lee Turrett Press. When I load my .308 rounds on the single stage the bullet is very straight. When I load .223 on either press the bullet has a little wobble to it when rolled across a flat surface. when i roll the bullet by itself there is no wobble. I do chamfer and debur all the cases. Any help is greatly aprreciated.

Thanks

Re: .223 Runout I guess

Make sure the bullet is straight and try rotating your round as you seat it. Start the bullet then come back down and rotate the round 180 degrees and finish it.

I would suggest a Sinclair Concentricity Gage to verify if you indeed do have runout, you can use it to identify if your chamber is concentric, check after FL sizing and again when the bullet is seated, you may find that your process is GTG or FUBAR.

Thanks for all the responses. I am using a set of Lee dies that I bought with the presses. I will check the dies, try the rotate method and see what happens. If I rotate it and it works is it me or the die? having to rotate every shell seems time consuming.

Thanks

I called Lee and the guy there went through a few things with me but concluded that it is probably the bullet as there is less surface on the 223 that is straight to align in the case. I am not an expert so I dont know. These are bulk bullets from Scharch. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Cabela's is replacing my dies. We will see if that fixes it. If not, What other dies would be good that will work with my Lee press?

rpmg pull ur seater die apart, and set a bullet in the seater plug. often the tip of the bullet bottoms in the seater plug, when the plug should bear much lower, near or at the ogive(bore diameter on the bullet). i center drill my 223 seater plugs a bit to eliminate this. everyone has their opinion on dies, i use Lee for everything, 223-338rum. all dies have their good and bad points imho

hth

lear

Thanks. Lee had me check that and the plug goes down over the bullet near the end of the ogive. He also had me wrap the plug with enough tape that it would sit in the cap and not move. This did not work either. the suggestion to partially seat the bullet and then rotate the case 180 degrees and finish seating the bullet is the only way I have gotten a straight bullet but only once.