• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

223 Wylde Faxon 18" Flame Fluted 1-8 Twist 5R Barrel Loads

Rotor Wrench

Private
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2018
Accuracy Load for AR .223 Wylde Faxon 18" 5R 1-8 Twist Barrel using Sierra 77Gr Tipped MatchKing?? Just Getting started match loading for the AR-15 DMR with the 223 Wylde Faxon 18" Flame Fluted 5R barrel, anyone here have experience with load with this barrel and bullet combo?? Thank you!

I don't have experience with the Faxon specifically but my Savage MSR has a 5R 1:8 223 Wylde barrel. 25gr of TAC under a 69gr SMK loaded at 2.255 shoots lights out. 23.8 of TAC under a 77 SMK also seems to do well but I think I can do better with that bullet than what that load is getting me

Accuracy Load for AR .223 Wylde Faxon 18" 5R 1-8 Twist Barrel using Sierra 77Gr Tipped MatchKing?? Just Getting started match loading for the AR-15 DMR with the 223 Wylde Faxon 18" Flame Fluted 5R barrel, anyone here have experience with load with this barrel and bullet combo?? Thank you!

Sell the barrel and get a WOA or Compass Lake barrel lol.... j/k homie I'm a few beers deep.

For 77gr TMK's the following worked for me. PLEASE make sure you work up to all of these powder charges and do not start with what I'm listing. Every rifle is different, and each situation is different.

23.4gr TAC
24.5gr TAC (over max, work up to with caution)
23.5gr XBR 8208
24.5gr Varget (compressed load)

I ended up settling on XBR 8208 for multiple reasons: Case capacity, availability, speed (not as good as TAC), consistency, temperature insensitivity, and who doesn't love the colors black and gold together ya know?

Reactions: Rotor Wrench
Sell the barrel and get a WOA or Compass Lake barrel lol.... j/k homie I'm a few beers deep.

For 77gr TMK's the following worked for me. PLEASE make sure you work up to all of these powder charges and do not start with what I'm listing. Every rifle is different, and each situation is different.

23.4gr TAC
23.5gr XBR 8208

I ended up settling on XBR 8208 for multiple reasons: Case capacity, availability, speed (not as good as TAC), consistency, temperature insensitivity, and who doesn't love the colors black and gold together ya know?
Thanx! I'll do just that! Yes, I realize that each barrel is different! Even 2 exact barrels of the same mfr can perform vastly different! What kind of velocities are you showing on the chrony?

23.4gr TAC
23.5gr XBR 8208

Thanx, I'll start on the low side and work my way up. What is the chroy showing on your best load?

Thanx! I'll do just that! Yes, I realize that each barrel is different! Even 2 exact barrels of the same mfr can perform vastly different! What kind of velocities are you showing on the chrony?

I'm running a suppressed 18" Lothar Walther barrel with a Wylde chamber.

Velocities:
23.4gr TAC - 2600-2620fps
24.5gr TAC - 2760-2780fps
23.5gr XBR 8208 - 2660-2680fps
24.5gr Varget - 2600-2620fps