• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

.243 95 grain Matchking Load Data

Brandon05_88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2011
Charleston, WV
I've been putting off working up a load in my .243 with 95 gr Matchkings for a while. I looked through my reloading manuals and couldn't find a load for the 95 grainer using IMR 4831 or RL22. Does anyone have the newest version of Sierra's data and help me out a little?

Re: .243 95 grain Matchking Load Data

do not have any 95 smk, but have shot many 95 nosler BT for deer hunting

I usually used reloder 22. The rifle is an old ruger with a shortish barrel.

I had pretty good luck at around 42.5 to 43.0 grains. This was towards the upper end of the charge range I think. Cannot remember the exact velocity as I have not worked with it for a while and do not have my data handy.

Accuracy was very good and pretty consistent.

My older sierra lists 40.0 to 44.2 for the 90 grain fmjbt and 38.0 to 43.8 for the 100g SPT. Not an SMK but maybe helpful.

good luck

Thanks 331 and spot, my load book doesn't list the 95 SMK, but it does list the 100 Gameking and 90 FMJ. It does list RL22 for both but only IMR 4831 for the 100. I just took and averaged the values for the RL22. For the IMR 4831, I just took the difference between the 4831 and 22 for the 100 Gameking and did the same for the 90 FMJ then averaged those as well. I'm just trying to find a min/max to load up for a ladder test. Funny thing was that, when I looked at the Nosler 95 Bal Tip, it had almost the same exact loading for 4831.

331V8 - Was there any muzzle blast with the 22 and a short barrel? I'm loading for a friend with a .243 and 20" barrel, so I stuck with IMR 4350 for that.

Spot69221 - I've never messed with a DTAC. Is there a procedure to load for them that I could possibly use?

Sorry to imply so many things. I mention the DTAC's because there may be some loads in the Reloading section. There is nothing special to load for DTAC's.

From most I have spoke to, and what I have shot, you can utilize the powders I mentioned to achieve a higher velocity with 95's. Most will drive the 95's for better velocity or their barrel twist holds them back from a longer bullet (amax/dtac/etc).

Not for sure if you are shooting a factory chamber but you could load them up like any other round. Their are a multitude of powder combination's that will work. As I read RL22 works just as well. H1000 seems quite popular for the long barrel stuff.

https://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1191119
http://6mmbr.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=3114155
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=273278

Spot, I'm shooting the factory Rem 700 SPS Varmint 26" bull barrel/action. I'm using Lapua brass and half way through fire forming them with Sierra's 85 HPBT. The twist is 9 1/8". It would possibly stabilize the Amax, but I already have 200 Matchkings laying around. I have some IMR 4350, IMR 4831 and RL 22 laying around too. Thanks for those links. I'm going to try and dig out some more info. Also, what distance do you recommend to do the ladder test at?

Sorry, I have never done a ladder test. Someone will surely chime in on that.

I would shoot the SMK and the powders you have and give us a report back. I would be interested in learning how it turns out!

I read somewhere where it would be best to do it around max point blank range, so the bullet is stabilized and going to sleep. I found a good write-up on 6mmbr about the ladder test, but they didn't address distance besides recommending 1,000 yards. Too bad there aren't many of those ranges in WV. I'll be sure to let everyone know how it turns out.

In regards to the ladder test. Most feel that the minimum distance for starting out the ladder is 300yards (there are some variants that use shorter distances to start with). Once you have narrowed down the range of charges (possible "nodes") you should move to farther distances to get better resolution between shots/charges. The best results are generally obtained when one uses the longest range that they can.

tater

Can the ladder test or the OCW test be simplified by achieving a desired muzzle velocity. Seems to me, that what is changing in say an OCW test is the mv. So if there is a certain mv that is favorable for a certain length barrel can't I just load for mv?

Shakeber, I had never heard of the OCW test, but I just read some info on it. It seems to be about the same test. Although, the info I read was more concerned with pressure. The author would find a cluster of 3 charge weights impacting closest to the bullseye and use the middle charge weight of the three. This would allow some pressure differences and still maintain a close POI. Sounds realistic to me considering some minor variances that could cause a change in pressure. Another thing I think it also tests is the harmonics of the barrel. Different pressures and velocities will 'whip' the barrel in different frequencies. I think it's a sinusoidal curve. At some point, there should be a 'node,' or small range of velocities, that the barrel has the closest frequencies. This would produce the small cluster of bullets.
As for certain velocities for certain barrel lengths, I would consider powder burn rates before I tried to match certain velocities with a long/short barrel. And ya can't forget about bedding. This would help with the vibrations in the barrel.

ggmanning, I'm going to give RL 22 a run and see how it does. I really like the difference in barrel temperatures with it versus IMR 4831, which I usually use. I do have a question for you, have you experienced RL 22 being 'temp sensitive' like other RL powders are rumored to be?

Brandon I use the 22 for 95 and 105gr bullets in different guns and have found it to be about 1 fps per degree which is pretty standard. It gives good standard deviation in velocity and in the 41-43 gr loads in my guns has been very accurate. You should also consider Ramshot Hunter....it has done well for me also......but the 22 has been the best in my stuff.

Yeah it was a little blasty lol, but it was with factory ammo or anything I would feed it. I stuck with the RL22 because I could get it locally for very cheap and happened to find a good load very quickly. Never chased any velocity demons or anything. I would have tried a few other powders had I not be happy with the performance of the RL22, but it ran great and very consitently.

ggmanning, that's not bad at all. I'm about to run out of my lot of RL 22 and going to have to buy more. How about lot to lot variation? Do you use the same charge and get the same velocity and accuracy?

331V8, I know what you mean about the locally and cheap. When I first ordered all my components, I ordered the primers...paid an extra $20. I usually find RL 22 at the local Wal-mart for $23-24 a pound.

I probably went through 4 different lots, and it seemed pretty consistent. Never did much target shooting with it for a good comparison though.

I will say that my RL25 from the 338 has been running very well at distance. It does not seem to vary much.

If I am going to be burning a lot of powder (and chasing accuracy), and I have separate lots, I usually combine them all and work up to my load so I have a large amount of consistent powder and don't need to be tweaking all the time i open a new container.

Local and cheap= friend owns gun shop that I can walk to and doesn't charge me mark up on it haha. Then again, I waste enough money there on other stuff he is probably the one getting a deal...

I never thought of combining lots like that, but it makes perfect sense. I'm really just looking for some target accuracy to around 880 and steel accuracy to 1,200. I've got around 1.5 pounds; I'll probably buy another 2 pounds to mix it together. That should be enough for around 550-600 rounds the rate the 243 burns it. Lol, yeah the local gun shop my dad goes to back home kept giving him good deals on rifles and pistols. Finally, he had to buy a gun safe. What do you know, they sell them too. Lol

When I contacted Sierra about load data, they pointed me to the 100g info in their guide and said they would work the same.

I loaded the same bullet for a Rem 700 base rifle still sporting the stock barrel. (9 1/8)

While I'd prefer to find some magic and get the 105g AMAX to work, the 95g Sierra's shoot extremely well. Until I shoot out this barrel, I don't mind sticking with them when they perform this well on a 5 shot group.

95gshpbt.jpg

95g BTHP matchking
Fed 210M primer
New Winchester brass (Full length sized but not trimmed)
41g R19

Sorry, no chrono data yet.

That does look like they are working. I'm kind of a cheap ass and the inability to use the AMAX in off the shelf left hand varmint gun has been keeping me from getting one to start to dork around with the long range game. I'm stuck in .223 land which is going no where. I guess I'll be keeping an eye on what you're doing. Let us know how it works at distance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FCB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the inability to use the AMAX in off the shelf left hand varmint gun</div></div>
The 9 1/8 twist will stabilize 105's. I know some folks haven't had much luck with 'em and maybe my gun/load is an anomaly, but I've found two loads that typically hover around .5 MOA using 47.0 gr Retumbo @ two different seating depths. One at .02 off the lands and the other with the bullets seated to SAAMI spec max OAL translating to a .12" jump. The .02 out load shoots a little tighter at distance and is what was shot on the targets below. Rifle is a factory Rem 700 SPS.

The clean cold bore shot makes this .9 MOA. It was probably me, maybe a little oil still in the barrel... I don't know, but the other 4 are in 1/2" and I've shot this load enough to know most deviation outside this range is usually due to the indian and not the bow or arrows.

001.jpg

3 shots, .24 MOA @ 100 yds.

2-24-11105GrAMAX1.jpg

The two at the top left were sighters. Took .2 mil out and shot the next 3. .44 MOA @ 200 yds.

105Amax200yds.jpg

By no means my typical results at 960 yds, but I think it illustrates that <span style="text-decoration: underline">the load</span> is more capable than the shooter (i.e. me). I don't know the exact spread on these 3 shots, but the plate is 36"x36", the bull is approximately 11", and using the ruler function in OnTarget, the max spread of the chipped away portion is about 4.79" so take that for whatever it's worth.

IMG_0084.jpg

anyone shooting the 95gr berger VLD's??

I have been working on an accuracy load with these for a while.

Just recently switched to imr4350 so i had to start over again in working my loads out.

I have several groups of rounds loaded up in a grain gradient from 38.5-43.0 in .5gr increments to help narrow down a charge but weather has been poor so haven't gotten a chance to shoot them yet.

anyone have load data for similar? are you jumping or jamming?

I had a remington sps 243 and so does my buddy and we both had the best results with h4350 or imr4350 either one worked good but our loads were both 43.5 grs with 95gr smk with a ten thousands jump. Hope this helps. It worked well to 1000 yards.

^ yeah, heard so much good stuff about the imr4350 i decided to give it a try.

I was doing decent with my other loads but wanted to see if i could get more accuracy out of the 4350.

Time will tell

Do you know what kind of MV you were getting with 43.5gr?

I want to say 3130 but I can not really remember. I will ask my buddy tommorow we got the same velocity then I will let you know.

It is by no means a dangerous load it shows a little pressure but hardly any just a ring around the fireing pin strike. But I would work up to it and see if it works for you we were getting right around a half inch group a 100 yards with that load.

yeah, when i finally get to shooting my loads i have now, if i see the group getting tighter as the charge goes up and things are looking good pressure wise i might try some powder charges in that range.

thanks for the info

I have run into sheer frustration trying to get 105 AMAX's to shoot in my 243 with a 8 twist hart barrel. Just bought some 107 Match kings. I hope they give me better results!!!!

Hot off the presses are some 105g AMAX's loaded with R19. Assuming I can go up through the variations without pressure sign, this one could net me about 200 more fps and maybe get them stabilized.

I'd like to try some heavier bullets in my .243 but i am not sure they will stabilize. I don't get enough range time with it either to really get a chance to test out a lot of loads and or bullets either. After i work on these VLD's a bit maybe ill buy some 105's and give them a go.

I just need to move out of MD and back to PA so i can get more range time, and relaxed range time at that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brandon05_88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been putting off working up a load in my .243 with 95 gr Matchkings for a while. I looked through my reloading manuals and couldn't find a load for the 95 grainer using IMR 4831 or RL22. Does anyone have the newest version of Sierra's data and help me out a little? </div></div>

Brandon.....what rifle, twist, length, etc??? I have tired several 95 SMK combos and the best so far came from loading 2.800 COAL (mag length), 40.5 gr H4350, Win brass & primers. Its about a 0.065 jump for my rifle and SMKs usually appreciate jumping. Have no clue about velocity and don't care. I load for accuracy. I use Rem 700 SPS Varmint. I have tried H4831 but no luck. However, H4831 has worked great with the 100 gr Sierra bullets for the same rifle. Some rifles hate boattail bullets! Good luck and please let me know what works for you. Hope this can help someone else.

boltgunluvr, I was shooting a factory Rem 700 SPS-Varmint .243 Win 9.125" twist @ 26". I loaded them out to 2.825" (mag feeding) with the 95 SMK, Lapua brass, CCI BR-2, and 43.0 gr H4831. Velocity was around 2,950 fps. My range is 572' ASL. It always shot great. I managed to usually stay at or below 1/2 MOA out to 400 yards. When I quit shooting that rifle, it had 1,400 rounds and still shot good.

Here are a few links that explain some of the steps I went through when developing a load for the rifle and the results.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...958#Post2843958
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...868#Post2855868
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...771#Post2657771

Your load seems a lil bit mild with the 40.5 gr H4350 in Win brass. I'd run a pressure test in 0.2 gr increments to find max, safe pressure. Then I would run an OCW test in 0.3 gr increments from 39.0 gr H4350 (Hodgdon start load) to the max, safe pressure charge weight you found. Something should pop up.

If you have any more questions, toss them out there or PM me.

Most of my accurate loads are usually mild. I'm not into speed whatsoever. Just accuracy. Actually, I have a 100gr Sierra Pro Hunter load that is the most accurate load for my 243s. Pro Hunter...I know....boring and not sexy, but it has been very accurate for me. I've had great success with flat base bullets. If I shoot long distance, I just arch it out there.

Reason I say it is mild is because Win brass runs 0.8-1.0 gr more powder for the same velocity in Lapua brass. Also, I've seen loads for H4350 and H4831 be 3.0 grains more for H4831 for the same velocity. I think what I'm trying to get at is, how far past 40.5 gr H4350 in Win brass have you tried? Have you tried any seating depths tests? Distances, enviro. conditions, etc?

Who cares if a bullet is boring. If it performs for you, that's all that matters.

I've tried 39-43gr of H4350 in .3gr increments and numerous seating depths. All with same brass, primers, dimensions, etc. I finally broke down and talked to Sierra and they verified what I have observed for several years. The hot load is usually NOT the most accurate load. Basically, I had nonstop brain farts and forgot how forgiving the SMKs are with seating depth.

Those charge weights and seating deoths should have covered it. I usually find my load around the middle of Hodgdon's Load Data. SMKs are what I stick to due to the seating depth tolerance.

I just don't understand how a 100 gr Sierra works with H4831, but a 95 SMK won't work with H4350 or H4831. Have you let someone else shoot the rifle? Sometimes I have a mental block or something and can't shoot worth a crap, yet my buddy hammers with my rifle/load.

40.5gr of H4350 does work for me using the 95 SMK. As far as the 100gr Sierra, H4350 and H4831 will work. I like to use slower powders whenever possible because of 243 Win being an overbore cartridge. You know, the whole load density issue. I've let others shoot the rifle to verify and we have an ultra low tech method of anchoring our rifles for grouping. Yes, I have plenty of days where I my shooting is crap, but its usually related to my inability to blockout daily stress.