• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

.257 Weatherby, any of you guys have experience..

Peepaw

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2010
Pearland, TX USA
...with it? What's your take on it? I was thnking of picking up a rifle chambered for the .257 later on down teh road, as it seems to be a pretty hot cart. (average of 3800+ FPS 24-26" barrels).

Was thinkig of adding it as Varmint/paper rifle.

Any reason not to other than ammo kind (from what I read) of hard to come by?

Thanks guys

Re: .257 Weatherby, any of you guys have experience..

I had a old "Southgate" Weatherby chambered in that. Looks like a freakin' 223 projectile stickin' out of a 338 Lapua Magnum case!( not really) I'd think it would eat up throats pretty quickly. OK for occasional hunting trips but you might eat up a barrel quickly if you shot it the way most of us shoot our .308's and such. Just my $0.02... FWIW.

My dad has one. We have shot deer and elk with it and made good clean kills. A good friend of mine also has one, He has taken elk and deer with it also.

Yeah, it wouldn't be my primary rifle...just something to take out from time to time and light some trails up! I have my .308 for the primary range day....was just reading an article on the .257 and some rifles for it, you can pick up for very good prices. And since I like different stuff, and don't hear much of it, thought would be interesting cartridge to have.

Yes, it's a very fast and flat round (inside 300-400 yards). It is good for most N. American hunting with the right bullet. It's a caliber you don't want to put a lot of rounds down it at one time. The factory ammo options are not that great. The Weatherby ammo is very expensive, and their powder charges have a huge swing. I pulled a bunch of bullets in some ammo, and they were .9 grain powder spreads on the rounds I checked. That will mess up groups and velocities pretty easy. If you plan to shoot a heavy bullet (120 grains or so), make sure you get a faster twist. I've had some issues in some 25-06's that wouldn't shoot the heavy bullets. But you may be pushing it fast enough for it not to matter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forest12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My dad also has one in a remington 700 sps stainless in a 26" it shoots great! </div></div>

This article I was reading (Guns Magazine, June '10 issue), author mentions that, "The Vanguard Synthetic is one of the best made and most accurate production rifles available at any cost. At $399 it is simply an incredible value."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, it's a very fast and flat round (inside 300-400 yards). It is good for most N. American hunting with the right bullet. It's a caliber you don't want to put a lot of rounds down it at one time. The factory ammo options are not that great. The Weatherby ammo is very expensive, and their powder charges have a huge swing. I pulled a bunch of bullets in some ammo, and they were .9 grain powder spreads on the rounds I checked. That will mess up groups and velocities pretty easy. If you plan to shoot a heavy bullet (120 grains or so), make sure you get a faster twist. I've had some issues in some 25-06's that wouldn't shoot the heavy bullets. But you may be pushing it fast enough for it not to matter. </div></div>

Yep, you are right, very flat! Same article was reading says it will strike within 3" of crosshairs at 350 yards, and even up to 450 yards, holds solid.

All in all seems like a prttty cool cart to have, even though ammo is not that common, figure since won't do TOO MUCH shooting, should be ok.

I have one. I've talked customer down in caliber for so long I felt guilty and on my action serial #1 I built a 257 Wby. I use it for deer hunting in open windy country. It's fast and flat but with that comes a price. I don't expect to get more than 750 rounds out of the barrel.

It is a very easy cartridge to reload for. I push 100gr. pills to 3600fps easily out of 26" tube. No, you cannot crank round after round down the pipe because it is so much overbore but I doubt there is a finer Antelope cartridge made.
Fine hunting cartridge. I would recommend to anyone wanting a .25 caliber rifle.

Im a 257 Roy fanatic! I have a LOT of them.

My goto gun has a 27" hart and I shoot the 110 accubonds, don't ask me how I got them to shoot! IMR7828 works best for me and it is all over 3700fps depending on temp.

I have killed countless whitetail to 240lbs and nilgai to 700 lbs with it!

Best N American cartridge you could own!

I had weatherby sub moa in .257 wby. It was one of the best shooting sporter barreled rifles I've ever owned. 115gr NBT's will do amazing things to deer size game. Very good hunting round.

scan0005.jpg

I've shot and hunted with 3 different .257 Weatherbys since the early 80's( all Sako's) Its a great hunting round and in My experience kills big game quickly and cleanly....I've taken many elk with it including this bull that was killed with one shot at 385 yards using a 120gr Nosler Partition.

Reactions: chevy327
Re: .257 Weatherby, any of you guys have experienc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
scan0005.jpg

I've shot and hunted with 3 different .257 Weatherbys since the early 80's( all Sako's) Its a great hunting round and in My experience kills big game quickly and cleanly....I've taken many elk with it including this bull that was killed with one shot at 385 yards using a 120gr Nosler Partition. </div></div>

Holy Shit!!! Are you a midget? That freakin' rack dwarfs you!!! I've never seen a rack that big. Granted, I've been in Florida most of my life but I do catch the occasional "Outdoor Channel" hunting program and all I can say is... Holy Shit...

It's fine for hunting purposes, but a bbl won't last long if you are target shooting or varminting. I saw a bbl on a 25-06 (less powder than a 257 Wby) that was gone after ONE day of varminting. My 25-06 sporter bbl couldn't fired more that around 20 rounds in succession befor it started to spray buillets all over the place. 257 WBY really has one purpose...LONG_Range hunting.

I've got one, but it hasn't been shot very much. Ammo is hard to come by around here, and i'm just starting to get into reloading. The gun is a great hunting round, good combination of speed and power. I can't say i'd use it as a paper gun though......

Re: .257 Weatherby, any of you guys have experienc

I got a Weatherby Accumark in .257 Weatherby Mag a few years ago, and it's OK, but if I had it to do over again I'd have a custom built by one of the better 'smiths out there (I see that Dave Tooley posted earlier about this cartridge).

Since I handload, I'd prefer to have one without the factory "freebore". And the factory stock on the Accumark doesn't work too well for me (LOP).

If you don't handload, factory ammo is available. Kinda pricey, so you probably won't be shooting paper constantly with it unless you have a fat wallet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
scan0005.jpg

I've shot and hunted with 3 different .257 Weatherbys since the early 80's( all Sako's) Its a great hunting round and in My experience kills big game quickly and cleanly....I've taken many elk with it including this bull that was killed with one shot at 385 yards using a 120gr Nosler Partition. </div></div>

HOLY SHIT! That is freakn monster! Up next to it, almost looks photshopped (which I know it isn't of course) Yeah, THAT is one hell of a bull!!

scan0009-6.jpg

My .257 Weatherby on loan to my cousin to use on this nice mule deer buck. </div></div>

very nice buck, nice rack...me likie!

scan0004-4.jpg

My pard, Owen with a nice cow elk taken with my Sako .257 Weatherby with one shot at 335 meters. </div></div>

335 meters, good poke/nice kill!

scan0012.jpg

Maybe the ultimate antelope cartridge.... </div></div>

Beautiful animal...where was it taken?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chrisj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's fine for hunting purposes, but a bbl won't last long if you are target shooting or varminting. I saw a bbl on a 25-06 (less powder than a 256) that was gone after ONE day of varminting. My 25-06 sporter bbl couldn't fired more that around 20 rounds in succession befor it started to spray buillets all over the place. 257 really has one purpose...LONG_Range hunting. </div></div>

From all my research, yeah, seems to be teh case/what I have been told/read/heard...don't expect barrel to last. But, since won't be primary rifle, should not be a problem.

I can tell you guys this though...it's gonna get added to collection. Im sold!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huntinaz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
l_be0c2bb1a5d20a0d8200637d73f51ea7.jpg

I shot this bull when I was 11 years old at over 400 yards. The young lady in the photo has also taken 2 elk with a .257.

Very nice animals PGS. </div></div>

For ANY age, VERY nice Bull, but for 11 year old IMPRESSIVE!!

Yeah guys, Im sold on it. I know ammo is not cheap, nor that easy to come by, but again, won't be a problem. Won't be primary rifle, I jsut like "odd" guns and been trying to add to collection.
Rifle wise, still need to pick up a LA in a .30-30 or .30-06 (or both :D) and after I get that sorted out, will add teh .257.
So, even though it's a few guns down teh line, she's gonna get some love eventually.

let me ask you this...how's the recoil on it? ASSUMING lighter rifle/hot cartridge, probaly has pretty good kick to her. Reason I ask is because of my wife, figure this could be a nice cart. for her to shoot????? Or no?

i've used the 257 for years..... great hunting round for medium sized game, kills quick with proper bullet placement. if you get it, let me know, i have a ton on brass and loaded ammo to sell (plus 3 german 257 guns for sale, as well as a fibermark).

I was just think about the recoil from my past weatherby and I was comparing it to a 30-06 or 7mm Rem Mag load. I know it was more than my 308...so I checked the recoil calculator and I was about right.
Assume 8lb rifle in all comparisons...

257 Wby- 120 gr -70 gr. powder - 3300 fps= 12 ft lbs
30-06- 150 gr, 60 gr powder - 3000 fps = 12 ft lbs
7 Rem Mag- 150 gr- 68 gr popwder - 3100 fps = 13 ft lbs
308- 150 gr- 48 gr powder- 2900 fps = 11 ft lbs.

A 30-06 gives a healthy kick in an 8lb rifle including scope and loaded mag, so expect the 257 to be right there with it and almost to the 7 rem Mag...at least the loads I have compared. My 25-06 in a Rem 700 sporter with wood stock and plastic butt shootin top loads , beat the crap outta my shoulder when I wore a t-shirt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoninP80</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i've used the 257 for years..... great hunting round for medium sized game, kills quick with proper bullet placement. if you get it, let me know, i have a ton on brass and loaded ammo to sell (plus 3 german 257 guns for sale, as well as a fibermark). </div></div>

Well, it's not a matter of "if" as it is a matter of "when"....will be picking one up, but have to be honest with myself, and will probaly be a year to 2, or so before I pick one up. it's now on the "list" that I have going. I just picked up a 1911 couple days ago, and getting ready to have another 1911 made by local gunsmith for a "family heirloom", then have a few other guns on teh "list" that need to pick up.... AR, CCW, and a LA.....THEN I can pick up the .257. I try to stay in order, but if a good deal on a .257 came along, would consider "geting out of line"....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chrisj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was just think about the recoil from my past weatherby and I was comparing it to a 30-06 or 7mm Rem Mag load. I know it was more than my 308...so I checked the recoil calculator and I was about right.
Assume 8lb rifle in all comparisons...

257 Wby- 120 gr -70 gr. powder - 3300 fps= 12 ft lbs
30-06- 150 gr, 60 gr powder - 3000 fps = 12 ft lbs
7 Rem Mag- 150 gr- 68 gr popwder - 3100 fps = 13 ft lbs
308- 150 gr- 48 gr powder- 2900 fps = 11 ft lbs.

A 30-06 gives a healthy kick in an 8lb rifle including scope and loaded mag, so expect the 257 to be right there with it and almost to the 7 rem Mag...at least the loads I have compared. My 25-06 in a Rem 700 sporter with wood stock and plastic butt shootin top loads , beat the crap outta my shoulder when I wore a t-shirt. </div></div>

Yeah, was figuring as much. Well, that is a topic (wife's rifle) for another thread/another day. Thanks for info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Peepaw, All of those critters were taken in Eastern Montana. </div></div>

Montana is on my "list" as well! LOL!! Seriously though, I have made it 45 of our 50 states, and Montana, Big Sky, is one I am still lacking!

Need Montana, Rhode Island, Maine, Washington, and Alaska to complete my "list".

Alaska is next, been trying to get there for YEARS, but seems like something always comes up and stops me from going. In fact, So determined to get to Alaska, told my wife I wanted to MOVE there! LOL!!

After I make Alaska, Montana is next....

Good Luck in your travels!! Ironically, Texas is on my list of destinations....planning a trip there this winter to hunt with a hide member. I've never been there but from what I've read, heard and the folks I've visited with on here it sounds like my kind of place!!...lots of folks with lots of guns!!

I love my Accumark chambered in 257Wby. It shoots 110 Accubonds into 1/4" groups at 100 yards. I had Holland put one of his brakes on it and now it is almost recoiless. I use it on everything from squirrels to deer. I carry a 300Wby Accumark for elk as thy are way bigger and usually very far.

Once you start loading for it ammo costs are not an issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good Luck in your travels!! Ironically, Texas is on my list of destinations....planning a trip there this winter to hunt with a hide member. I've never been there but from what I've read, heard and the folks I've visited with on here it sounds like my kind of place!!...lots of folks with lots of guns!! </div></div>

Yeah, you'll like TX, as you already know lots of people with lots of guns. But also lots to hunt. You headed down south towards TX/Mexico border? Or out in central/west TX?

Can sum up TX...BIG, HOT, GOOD EATING, and majority of it is FLAT...aside from teh "Hill Country" outside of Austin/San Antonio, but that's all it is, hills, and NO mountains, HAHA!! Have a good rep for nice racks, even though they normally don't dress out like the corn fed deer up North.
Alot of nice ranches down south on the border, but all in all real nice state, friendly people. Should enjoy it though.

Well which ever route u decide to go you should have the action bedded BEHIND the recoil lug only if it is a m700 or only to the end of the action if it isn't. The factory barrel could last as much as 2500 rounds if you keep it cool. If it doesn't take the opportunity to invest in a good match grade SS barrel as it will be more apt to do better when killin paper. The .257 Weatherby is a damn hot load so the trick is to not blaze away like a fuckin retard with a potato gun.... Great shootin load, but a little hard to accurize however the 110 accubonds have been proving good at about 3400 FPS. good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well which ever route u decide to go you should have the action bedded BEHIND the recoil lug only if it is a m700 or only to the end of the action if it isn't. The factory barrel could last as much as 2500 rounds if you keep it cool. If it doesn't take the opportunity to invest in a good match grade SS barrel as it will be more apt to do better when killin paper. The .257 Weatherby is a damn hot load so the trick is to not blaze away like a fuckin retard with a potato gun.... Great shootin load, but a little hard to accurize however the 110 accubonds have been proving good at about 3400 FPS. good luck </div></div>

Fair enough, thanks for info.

Also guys, how odd is this? I told ya'll that i was reading a magazine I picked up the other day, and came across the .257....well, yesterday wife picks up another magazine from grocery store for me (Gun World May '10), and I am flipping through it, and guess what? yep, ANOTHER .257 Weatherby article! Did a test on teh Weatherby Vanguard, 24" barrel....getting over 3600 FPS with a 100 grain, 3450 FPS with a 110 grain and 3300FPS with a 120 grain (it also grouped .375 @ 100 yards with this, and delivered 2910 ft-lb of energy).
This sure is one stout cart!!

scan0012.jpg

ill have a picture just like this in september when I go to wyoming for an antelope hunt with my dad. Ill be shooting his .257 weatherby mag with 100 gr TSX bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tox</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
scan0012.jpg

ill have a picture just like this in september when I go to wyoming for an antelope hunt with my dad. Ill be shooting his .257 weatherby mag with 100 gr TSX bullets. </div></div>

Beautiful animal if you do, that's for sure....good luck!