• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Hunting & Fishing 260 hunting round

BigRed308

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2019
Which rounds are you guys using in 260s on hogs coyotes and deer. Thinking I’ll run the 142 elds. But figured I would ask first. Any factory loads that work? I’m hesitant due to having an airline loose my gear before. So I’m always looking for a factory back up.

Honestly, for that, I’d be comfortable with any of the offerings from 130g plus. Shoot the weight that you are comfortable with when possible, but all of the current premium rounds will do the job with the caveat that you don’t push them well past reasonable ranges.

Reactions: Elevatorman51
Ive spanked quite a few deer and elk with 260's. I have always used the Barnes 140 grain Match Burner, its killed quite a few animals at varying distances. This guy was only 60 yds away, and dropped where he stood.

eZy Watermark_06-09-2019_08-55-32.JPG

I've shot a couple others with em, including a little forky at 1,006 yds that took one hit, and fell.

Junior also shoots a 260, he shot his first two deer and one elk with 120 gr PVRI BTHP
eZy Watermark_01-02-2019_18-58-37.jpg

490 Yards

eZy Watermark_01-02-2019_18-59-42.JPG

540 Yards
IMG_0491.JPG

300 yards

My brother also shoots 260, and took this nice bull last fall with a Hornady 140 BTHP at 500 yds
watermark_13-11-2018_06-38-48.JPG

Nice kills. I didn’t realize so many used match bullets for hunting. I was always told to stay away from them when I started out for hunting. But I was also shooting factory FgMM 308 in 175 grain. Maybe that’s why.

130 gr Swift Scirocco for the deer
Depending on the range, any of the SMKs, Scenars or AMAX for the yotes.
For the elk, I would use 130 gr TSX or 140 NP or A-frame depending on the range. I would say this is on the low side for elk, but if you can place the bullet properly, they will work fine.

Thanks! Not planning on using for elk. Would go long action if I got that opportunity

Nice kills. I didn’t realize so many used match bullets for hunting. I was always told to stay away from them when I started out for hunting. But I was also shooting factory FgMM 308 in 175 grain. Maybe that’s why.
Horse-shit. Ive killed more animals with 175 SMK's than any other one bullet (save the plagues of rabbits and sod poodles Ive killed with 55gr FMJ's)

Reactions: lash
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the .260Rem. I had one in a Moutain Rifle a few years back and it killed everything that it was pointed at. My son "cut his teeth" on it and after a few years of everything being DRT he began looking for other rounds to try.
I killed quiet a few deer with it myself and while it's not boring it is effecient and very effective. Once I floated the barrel on that Mtn rifle I realized the true potential of it's accuracy. In a rifle set up with a 26" (or longer) heavy barrel it would easily hold its own with any cartridge in its class. It is a deer extinguisher.