• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

260 Remington newbie

I was refered to this site from another in hopes of getting some good information on a new project I want to undertake. I am looking to build a 260 remington bolt action. As of right now I am thinking M700 action to start with and a 1 in 8 twist barrel. I am looking at maybe a small budget build but being able to expand down the road. Any advice, suggestions on equipment and links to info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Nick

Re: 260 Remington newbie

Nick,
Your on the right track. Next find a good smith, there are seveal who post on this sight. Make sure when you buy your barrel that you tell them "MATCH GRADE" some companies sell a cheaper line.

You will love the 260. I am on my 4th barrel and they all have shot great for me. As for brass you can use Remington 260 or do like I do and form your brass from 308 Lapua brass. Another great option is to go with Winchester 7mm-08 brass and simply neck it down.

I started off shooting the 140 and 142s but have gone to the 123s now. I think the 260s shine with this weight of bullet. It seems to be ideal for the 120 to 130gr bullets. I always felt the 260 was a tad light for the 140s and if you want to shoot 140s the 6.5x55 and 6.5x284 are the way to go to make the 140 to 142s really shine.

You don't need $700 stocks and fancy finishs with heavy bottom metal and clips to make a good shooting tactical rifle. I used a stock VS H&S stock for years with a cut out barrel channel as my tactical rifle and I did just as well with it as my fancy rifle fo a lot less money. Besides you can always up grade as you get the money if thats what you think you need. Good luck with your project!!!! (Almost forgot, spend your extra money on a good scope)

Nick,

You haven't listed your budget? If you really want to save the most $,the best thing to do is buy used.Sometimes folks on here decide to change their mind on a build and have the action,stock and other components for sale for 25% less than what they paid for it.Or just buy the rifle used.Watch the round count so you don't get a worn out barrel.

If you want the best bang for the buck I've seen for brand new,then get a Tikka T3 in 6.5x55 or 708.Incredibly slick actions with equally smooth feeding.They are also a good foundation to build from.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How disappointed will i be with a factory m700 action over a custom action.</div></div>

Very likely you will not be dissapointed at all. I have absolutely no doubts with using a squared factory action. I shoot both side-side.

My .260 is a Remington 700 sa with a HS precision stock. I bought a used 6.5x284 barrel that had 400 rounds fired through it here on the hide. My smith scoped it and said the guy told the truth. I paid 150.00 for that barrel and it is a Lilja 1x8 twist that finished at 24 inches after the re-chamber. it will shoot 1 ragged hole at 100 yards, a bigger ragged hole at 200 and 3/4 of an inch at 300 yards. I shoot the 107/108 GR Sierra's for fun and the 129 Lapuas when i am getting serious and going past 600 yards. The gun is so accurate and easy to shoot I have had friends who never fired a rife shoot 500 yard groups that were 6 inches. People who had never pulled a trigger in their lives. You can't go wrong with a .260. Like you I was new to the .260 and I got all my information off the hide. Jeff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triharley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the input. Right now my budget is in the 9-1100 range. What are the key items to spend on over other items. For example the action. How disappointed will i be with a factory m700 action over a custom action.

Thanks
Nick </div></div>

I bought a 260 from one of the members here. The rifle was built by William Roscoe, based on the 700 action. All I can tell you the rifle could not possibly shoot any better if it were built on any custom action. If you want a 260 built based on a 700 give Roscoe a shout.

http://www.louisianaprecisionrifles.com/

Unfortunately, you cannot go out and buy a Remington actions anymore. If you can get the FN action, do it; I would go for that one. If you have to have a Remington action just purchase the cheapest Remington 700 rifle you can find, i.e. R700 SPS. You can get any of the following calibers: .308, .243, and .22-250. They all have the same bolt face of .473". You might be able to find a .260 already built here on the Hide, so start here first. As far as cheap rifles look around your local shops for a used rifle in any of the calibers mentioned above. Of course, you can purchase a new rifle too, to get your donor action for your .260 build (that's what I did).

Jamie

Thanks for the great info. I have a Howa 22-250 sitting around that doesn't get much action. I did a search and seen that some members on here were building off of that action. What are the pro's and cons of these actions.

Thanks again

On a Side note Great Site. I can't believe the auctal good information i am getting off of this site. Seems like a better group of people than other forums i have been too.

Thanks again

If you are talking Howas talk to Pete Lincoln here, he is a proponent of these actions and he builds some nice rifles based on them. I would say if you already have a Howa sitting not doing anything, have it rebarreled and shoot that instead. Don't know what stock is currently on it but a simple change to a B&C Medalist with one of CDI's DBMs and you won't find yourself lacking in anything. You'll have a nice rifle to learn with until you feel the need to "upgrade" to a custom build.

Also, if you want to start cheaper and be able to do the work yourself and still end up with a great rifle, take a look at Savage actions, which you can still purchase separately from Northlander at www.savageshooters.com. Put a good aftermarket barrel on (can also be purchased from Northlander), install on stock of choice then go shooting. This may be the faster route to get started as getting parts together will not be a problem.

The Howa is a very good action to build a rifle on. I shot against a couple of them in tactical matches. In fact one was a rebarrel to a 260 and it shot great!! I believe it was in a McMillan HTG stoct as I recall.