• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Range Report 270wsm necked to 6.5 or 7mmwsm (which is best??)

packcons

Private
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2009
Bunkerville, NV
I want to build either a 270wsm necked to 6.5 or a 7mmwsm. Just wanted to get some outside opinions about things like ballistics, and component cost on the two from fellow hide members who have experience with either cartridge.

Thanks,

Morgan

Re: 270wsm necked to 6.5 or 7mmwsm (which is best??)

I have one in both a 25wssm necked up to 6.5mm and I have a 7mm wsm. I would go with the 7mm wsm they have a larger assortment of bullets no I use the 175 and have been happy with it. I have some data it interested.

kn

The 7mm ballistics are better than the 6.5's as you approach the upper range of bullet weights.

A 140 Berger has similar BC's to a about a 160gr 7mm bullet, the 175 and 180 gr 7mm's are surpased only by the big mags in 338 SMK or 375/408/50 cal

The barrel life will typically be better on the 7mm as well.

i just helped a non-member tweek a 270wsm on a fresh custom barrel with about 4 different powders and 4 or 5 different hunting bullets & got settled on one bullet at 3500fps...a cold weather load for sure as we are seeing pressure signs.....

i would tell you Kreiger barrels ROCK!

Thanks guys.

Gunner, im hoping to push the 270wsm necked to 6.5 about 3400fps with a 140gr projectile if all goes right. The 260 rem. does not intrest me much.

I think im just going to go ahead and build the the 6.5 and just buy a nice 7mm wsm.

The 6.5 WSM is a great round for about 400-500 rounds and then you have throat problems. I built a deer gun out of the round as I have always loved the .264 Win Mag. Shot it for two seasons and the third season I hung it up.

I love 6.5's I have a bunch of them but would try a 7 WSM to see if more barrel life is possible.

Just my experience,

wade

Thanks brown, i guess that is to be expected out of a cartridge of this type. I can see throat problems occurring, but how many rounds would you expect the bore to last(we'll say with the round you have developed with you rifle for ref.)?

My dad and i are building them and we can always thread the barrel off, chop it and reame it again to shape the throat up.

Thanks,

Morgan

Accuracy went from 0.5 MOA to about 1.3 MOA somewhere around 450 rounds. I was not surprised that it was a barrel burner but I was hoping for more than 450 rounds.

I traded this action for a different and have a 338 Edge being built up. My next 6.5 for deer hunting will be a 6.5 x 55 AI, in parallel I have a barrel in the same for my F-class rig.

Wow!! well that definitely does suck!!

im going to try to optimize barrel life AMAP shooting a 140gr projectile and not over heating the bore when possible.

Good luck with the EDGE. That thing will deffinitley knock something on its ass.

My budy just had a 338rum build and the gunsmith sort or ruined the chamber. We noticed it the first shot when the bolt would not open. when we got the case out we found a ring mark about a half inch from the shoulder. It appears that there was a burr or something on the reamer and it cut a grove in the chamber.

what a disappointment!!!

Thanks men, I need all the info i can get.

my pop bought me a win70 in 7wsm with intentions of making a 6.5wsm. Im kinda seeing that i want to just go ahead and make a nice 7wsm. the thing is that i already have one but, it isn't even close to the way i want it set up. it has a short thin barrel with a stock that isn't very desireable as well.

My question is: would you guys keep it the way it is or would you change it? Would the 24 inch barrel hurt my velocity much?

I would do a minimum of 24" for the barrel. I would do a nicer heavy contour.
From a top barrel maker Krieger, Rock, ect.
Explore stock options and get something that fits your purpose.

Thanks gunner, i would like to do a pacnor heavy palma probably 28 incher.

i could not find any stock options that i liked. i dont branch far from remington/win for stock rifles and neither have anyting close to what i want.

BA7rum - hurt compared to what? if you mean compared to a 30" tube - heck yes - you'll be roughly 100fps or so below their velocity from the same load. If you mean from a 26" probably not a significant amount.

For a hunting rig 24" is fine. My tactical rig is 26" and allows me to run close to 2,900 fps with teh Berger 180s, when they are seated out to single load distances (over 3.1" in length). When seated magazine (as in SA AI Magazines) length (2.9"), I can't get to 2,900fps safely with my rig and teh Berger 180s.

JeffVN

I have used 6.5 in WSSM using a 25 wssm case and necked it up to 6.5 142 SMK 42,7 gr Varget 2958 /6 3/4 inch at 200 yards OAL 2.910.

I have also the barrel life is around 1450 using a krieger the 7wsm is a little better with
7mm WSM 175 SMK H4831 58.0 grs 3.200 OAL I get 2812/9 7/8 group at 200 yards

Here is some data with my 264 wsm 150 bthp OAL 3.410 61.8 grains of H4831 velocity is 3050 Standard 10 and the group was 3/4 inch at 200 yards

Thanks Koganinja and jeff, i am thinking that i will do the 6.5 out of the 7wsm action i have cause i would rather build the 7wsm on a long action.

that sounds much more appealing to me since im a fan of most 7mm cartridges and i would want to make my 7wsm on sweet unit.

BA: I used to be really enamored with the 6.5 bullets but after a little research, have found that the 7mm is just as good, if not better, and easier on barrels as well. You might want to look into the 7mm SAUM; I had one built on a rechambered 7mm-08 barrel in a varmint contour. Nosler makes brass for the 300 SAUM which you can neck down easily so good brass is available. Good luck. Like me, you might find what you've been looking for has been in your backyard all along.

JT

I have just started load development for my 7wsm and the only draw back I have seen so far over the 6.5 is the recoil. The 180's going around 2950 are hammering me without the brake. I don't like recoil period. I wish they would come out with a better selection of high B.C. .277 caliber bullets. I have 270wsm and I love it but the bullet selection sux.

David

The 270wsm and 300wsm are the same case except for neck diameter. What you've described is the 7-300wsm, very good cartridge and drives the 180's at 2900fps with ease. For a hunitng round, 160 Accubonds would be at 3,100ish fps. If I had to do it agian I'd opt for the 7mm RSAUM instead, same velocity, less powder. I'd skip the 6.5-270wsm, barrel life will be short.

I built a 6.5-300wsm back in 2000. A friend of a friend worked at the factory were they made the brass. I sent some brass to Dave Kiff for a reamer and off I went. Not sure if you could even buy a wsm at that time. After spending a shit load of time on dies, shell holders, bushings, neck turning,ect. I had it done. It shot me the small group in a 1K yard National and continued to do well. BUT

Its not gonna last. Take the advice of these guys go with the 7wsm and the 7mm rausm would be better

BTW 3400fps with a 6.5 out of an 8.25 twist 34" K&P barrel was way to hard on the gun TOO much pressure.

nice, thanks 999 and wnroscoe . Thats what im going to do. either the 7wsm or the 7rasum. I want to use the one that has high quality brass available. From my research that would be the 7/300wsm. This rifle is going to be completly custom.

Thanks for all the experience.

It depends what you intend to do with the rifle. Having never owned a 7WSM, it does appear to be simplier, but the recoil should be considerably greater than the 6.5mm version. I hate recoil and brakes. The 6.5mmWSM should give you around 200fps more than the 6.5-284 (per a F-Class shooter that got around 900-1000 rounds out of his barrel).

Re: 270wsm necked to 6.5 or 7mmwsm (which is best?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BA7rum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Koganinja and jeff, i am thinking that i will do the 6.5 out of the 7wsm action i have cause i would rather build the 7wsm on a long action.

that sounds much more appealing to me since im a fan of most 7mm cartridges and i would want to make my 7wsm on sweet unit.

</div></div>

+1 on building a 7wsm on a long action.
Seat the bullets out long, won't have any feeding issues or issues with trying to get a loaded round out of the ejection port.
I'd look into the 7mmRSAUM same velocities with Less powder than the 7WSM

Actually I have used both in the same gun and the recoil was the same. Maybe because the case is basically the same and the 6.5 is a smaller hole in the barrel.

jedi, i missed what you were saying in your last sentence.

Im getting very excited about this 7mm with which ever case i decide to go with. The 6.5 would be nice, but i have to go with the 7mm due to its ballistic advantages and my experience with it along with the feedback off this forum.

As far as recoil goes, it really doesn't bother me too much. I have shot enough in the past few years that i dont really even notice recoil anymore.

thanks men