• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

28 nosler minimum barrel length?

Backcountry_HDO

Private
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2021
Pocatello Idaho
Putting together a 28 for this upcoming season. Need it to be light as possible.

Wanting to know what’s the shortest barrel length anyone would do? I’ve been told 24” but I’ll also be running a 10” can.

Think 20” would work? Wanting to run 195s

Thanks!

I recently cut my 300 win mag barrel back from 29" to 24" and to my surprise, it does not seem like I lost more than about 30 ms in the process.
The balance of the rifle got a lot better too. Oh, and I rund a 7" can on it. No regrets so far, but I dont think I would go shorter than that.

I would guess that a 20" 28 Nosler would be somewhat of a flamethrower.

if you are looking for a 20" 7mm on a magnum action you should consider the 7 saum or even the 7 blaser;
i used to have a 20" 300 wm,it was not something really efficient!
ps you should check if your suppressor can be mount on a shorty magnum caliber rifle..

Reactions: Backcountry_HDO
If you go for a short action, check out 7ss. I am getting 2850 from a 20" 7ss with 175 bergers and RL26. Could hit 2900 if I wanted to I think, never hit pressure but just found a good load at 2850 and stuck with it.

My 26" 28 Nosler is getting 3050 with N570 and 195's. If you go down to 20", I would imagine you would be somewhere around 28-2850. Combo of big for caliber bullet requiring slow powder on a short barrel will lose a lot. I think your overall numbers would be better with a 160-180 class bullet and a faster powder for a short barrel.

Last edited: