• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes 2moa vs 4moa Red Dot

Re: 2moa vs 4moa Red Dot

Just my 2pc..... if shooting 100yards and plus, then neither... i would get a variable power scope... 1-6 or 2.5-10. I personally like my 4-16x50. if all you're doing is punching holes in paper, then I would get the scope and ditch the red dot.

if dead set on a red dot, maybe run and gun, and maybe some hog hunting, then i would prob go for the 2moa for punching paper holes, and maybe 4moa for hog hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ddelagarza</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shooting anywhere from 25yds to 300yds, which to choose? </div></div>

On rifles, I've used an OLD Aimpoint 3 MOA dot and a current-production 4 MOA dot.

IME, the smaller dot is more useful in precision situations, and at 0 magnification is no disadvantage for fast 'n sloppy shooting as long as it is bright enough. Need "bigger"? Just brighten it to max. They all look bigger then.

You'll need some holdover for 300 with a 100 zero. Get to know your optic and rifle.

One thing I HATE about red dots is that they cover up a distant target, and none I've seen have any "reticle" marks you can reference for holdover (or hold-under)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

One thing I HATE about red dots is that they cover up a distant target </div></div>

like grump said, a 4moa dot will completely cover up your target at 100yards plus and any type of precision target shooting will go right out the window past 80yards. Also, I think you'll be amazed that even a 2moa dot will do the same especially if you're eye sight is not the best.

at one point in my AR lifetime, I had a eotech and even a magnifier... was great up to about 80yards. If all you want it for is hog hutning, then it is perfect for you..... but if you want to do any type of precision sub-moa type shooting at 100yards and beyond, then you'll need to ditch the red dot for a variable power scope. If you're going to put a magnifier on it, then keep this in mind that they have really really BAD eye relief, put loads of weight on the rifle, and you'll only get a fixed 3x power magnification.... if for any reason you think you might use the magnifier more than 80% of the time, then just get a 1-6 power scope and be done with it..... can still put down some hogs with a nice vortex 1-6 power scope and have fun @ the range.

Agreed with the comments above. I saw the 2MOA dot units right next to the 4MOA. I could not tell much difference in the dot size. I do not plan on shooting very far with these red dots so I went with 4MOA.

I have a 4moa T1 and a 2moa H1. The 2moa dot is a little sharper and I see no benefit to the 4moa dot even for speed stuff. Using the 4moa dot I can pretty easily keep 9/10 in the 10 ring on an SR1 target at 100 and 9/10 in the black at 200. A freind of mine has a larue poboy magnifier behind his Aimpoint Pro and can keep 10/10 in the x ring on the SR1 at 100. Never tried the same with the 2moa optic as it is pretty new to me.

For my money the 2moa is not enough better to justify replacing a 4moa, but if buying new I would no longer by a 4moa red dot.

ETA: Ref the dot covering up distant targets....Just like with irons(remember those black things people used to aim with) you neet to aim with a part of the dot(IE the top) and not the entire dot.

I wouldn't recommend a red dot for long distance work. If you add a magnifier they get pretty clunky.
I've got the Aimpoint pro with 2 moa dot. If you set the intensity low, you get a small dot that is fairly easy to use for precise shots. You can crank up the brightness and the dot will bloom and be more useful for short range, quick shots.

Agree with those above. Red dot sights are poor even with magnifier when shooting more than 75 -100 yards. Get an inexpensive variable power scope. Red dot sights ment for close quarter encounters.

If your not completely set on an Aimpoint, you could consider Eotechs e/xps series. They are substantially smaller than previous models and can choose between single dot, 65 MOA circle w/1moa dot and a model that has a couple hold overs within the tradition design.

I know there are plenty who use Aimpoints at distance very well, without issue... The difference between the 2 and 4moa models would be most significant at longer distances; the Eotech's center dot will cover a substantially smaller area. At 300 yards 4 moa will cover over a foot where the Eotech will appear smaller than your fist. As I understand, the center dot is actually smaller than 1moa and with magnification can proportionately display its smaller size. It can aslo appear larger if needed by cranking the brightness up. Up close (under 75 yards), my feeling is that difference in size won't have much advantage over another (with the exception of Eotech's outer ring if you find that useful).

It certainly won't trump or replace a low power power variable where needed but its very fast. With all that said, i would purchase the 2moa aimpoint if going that route.
Good luck with your search-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sib1948</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agree with those above. Red dot sights are poor even with magnifier when shooting more than 75 -100 yards. Get an inexpensive variable power scope. Red dot sights ment for close quarter encounters. </div></div>
Disagreement from this quarter.

Zero'd for 100, a well-educated/trained shooter will know the holdover and not have the target obscured.

I'm an old line of white hold iron sight shooter. Quarter-sized hunks of glass reflecting the sun fell to my skills at 100 to about 160 yards, just putting the bright point above the front sight where the middle of the bull would have been.

Not close shots that disturbed the debris, but hits viewed by a spotter with, of course, a spotting scope. It's nice to be able to call shots and get good confirmation. I didn't hit them all every time, but when I didn't at least I knew what direction and usually how far out.

Red dot's just hold over instead of under. Maybe a "6:00 hold" for the dot at 100 and a "12:00 hold" for 200?? Might have to try that but I'm thinking it wouldn't work for me...

Here's the measurements on the Eotech's reticle with hold over marks-
I know it's laid out for a bit farther out than you were looking to shoot (if using the top for 100 yards) but you could establish a different zero or use them for some rough ranging.

ae4e9e6afd8d0fcb7f929009ad4a6893.jpg

5d8e26d92b431caa77f2633c518e883f.jpg

I believe there's a model with 2 dots as well, if nothing else it could help gauge how far you are holding off (even for wind) by having some frame of reference.

How many MOA do you think the front sight post on a M16A2 is?

It's about knowing your system and how to use it.

Now having said that I have a Comp M2 with a 2MOA dot on my work rifle. I have shot the Army Qual course numerous times with it and never had a problem. With a high quality dot sight, when you turn the brightness down you get a perfectly round semi-transparent dot. At longer ranges you are "holding over" so you don't have to worry about the dot covering the target.

Lastly, you are not going to be punching 3 MOA targets at 300 yards with a 1x Dot Sight. Why try to make the tool do something it was never intended to do.

The days of the 1x dot sight are numbered. The 1-4,6,8x variables are going to kill it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The days of the 1x dot sight are numbered. The 1-4,6,8x variables are going to kill it. </div></div>

I agree this is the way things will go in the industry.