3.4 Mile Shot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what the hubub is about here.

I liken the 3.4 mile shot to the folks who go for the land speed record:

There's not really a need or a practical use for a car to go that fast, you have to have a special track, and there's lots of advanced prep to make it happen.

With that said, it's pretty cool to see and there are technical takeaways that can be used for making improvements in practical applications.

Same with the 3.4 mile shot.

Appreciate it for what it is.

And here is his shot placement for that three mile shot.

Texas-Man-Nails-3-Mile-Shot-To-Set-The-New-Distance-Record.jpg

Someone with AB software could run a WEZ calculation to give you the probability of hitting it.

My belief is that it would be pretty small compared to the number of shots that he fired. A subsonic round that small in the wind would have a bizarre trajectory.

I think it is pretty cool

What is the barometer for being impressed?

The response to that would be purely subjective, so what is *your* barometer for being impressed?

I'm pretty darn impressed by the guy who placed the round where he did from three miles away on the 8th shot. I'm very, very impressed by the cold-bore first shot that hit from two miles. And I'm impressed by the guys who nailed the target at nearly 3.5 miles away.

Not sure what the hubub is about here.

I liken the 3.4 mile shot to the folks who go for the land speed record:

There's not really a need or a practical use for a car to go that fast, you have to have a special track, and there's lots of advanced prep to make it happen.

With that said, it's pretty cool to see and there are technical takeaways that can be used for making improvements in practical applications.

Same with the 3.4 mile shot.

Appreciate it for what it is.

Meh...anyone could do that if they had the right car, the right place, the necessary skills, guts and life insurance. I'm not impressed. :)

• Haha
Reactions: 1500varmint
So, honest question. What is the barometer for being impressed with something like this? It looks like they took 22 shots to hit it. If they'd stayed out there all day shooting 200 rounds to hit it, would you have still been impressed? What about 50 shots? 30?

Law of probability says if you get something that flies far enough and a target big enough and you take enough shots, you'll eventually hit it. I'm not saying these guys got lucky, but I am just asking an honest question.
When you look at it with the quote below’s perspective it’s pretty amazing regardless of rounds fired.

That’s a tiny target to hit with the giant amount of environmentals to deal with.

Do the math approximately.5 moa x .8 moa and yes now my personal accomplishments seem...uh non existent.

So, honest question. What is the barometer for being impressed with something like this? It looks like they took 22 shots to hit it. If they'd stayed out there all day shooting 200 rounds to hit it, would you have still been impressed? What about 50 shots? 30?

Law of probability says if you get something that flies far enough and a target big enough and you take enough shots, you'll eventually hit it. I'm not saying these guys got lucky, but I am just asking an honest question.

I think everyone's "Wow! That's awesome! " level is different.

Good luck trying "honest " at The 'Hide. LOL

Interesting responses. "Regardless of rounds fired" is a bit surprising, but to each their own.

Personally, I have always felt like 5 shots should be the limit for these type of endeavors and for prone shooting, the target size should be limited to 1 MOA, or person-size, whichever is smaller. But that's where my barometer is.

LR Noob, I assure you that you could make contact with dirt if you had enough gunpowder and lead.

I agree that it's a long distance, but at some point, it's just math and science and the law of probability all mixed together. Again, I suppose to each their own.

What is the barometer for being impressed?

The response to that would be purely subjective, so what is *your* barometer for being impressed?

I'm pretty darn impressed by the guy who placed the round where he did from three miles away on the 8th shot. I'm very, very impressed by the cold-bore first shot that hit from two miles. And I'm impressed by the guys who nailed the target at nearly 3.5 miles away.
Haven't heard about the cold-bore 2 mile shot. How big was the target?

The 32" x 48" target at 3.4 miles is 1/2 moa by just a bit more than 1/2 moa. Add in 3.4 MILES of wind and ANY hit is a feat. The wind is never the same twice, so corrections at this distance are a skill set only a bare few possess. I don't think most (including myself) could make a hit with any number of shots.

I think it was a pretty amazing feat regardless of the number of shots.

I am assuming that the elevated scope mount shown in this photo has to do with being able to get enough elevation adjustment to the target??? Never saw that before. Most of these guys use Charlie Taracs

Yes, that's his solution of getting the needed elevation.

You see most ELR shooters using the Charlie Taracs because they are a much better and elegant solution to attaining the required elevation.

That scope mount forces you to use poor fundamentals to get the shot off. The Charlie Tarac doesn't.

Reactions: Centuriator
Yes, it was a waste of time. No big deal. Nothing to see here.
Me - what target size was it?
You - here is the video
Me - yeah, still doesn't really show
You - I'm sure it was a big target. He's a hack
Me - yeah, nobody said that at all

I hope the "who cares how many shots it took or how big the target is" crowd realizes how ridiculous you're being.

Yes, that's his solution of getting the needed elevation.

You see most ELR shooters using the Charlie Taracs because they are a much better and elegant solution to attaining the required elevation.

That scope mount forces you to use poor fundamentals to get the shot off. The Charlie Tarac doesn't.

Good info!

More hack shooting a 3' x 2' target .. from two miles away. Amateurs. They should be be shooting at 10" plates, obviously.

https://www.ballisticmag.com/2017/12/22/long-range-master-2-mile-shot/

The second target was a 3-by-2-foot plate hanging on a cliff face at the top of a mountain 2,477 yards away, followed by another 3-by-2-foot plate at 3,375 yards, or as close to 2 miles away as we could realistically get.

You guys are so awesome. Post up your videos of your best two and 3.5 mile shots so I can be even more amazed, thrilled and delighted.

Better yet.... you have run that mouth so much that I would enjoy seeing your action. I suspect you will not put your name on a post because you have no background whatsoever in the sport.

The serious ELR guys that I know, shoot with and compete against never incessantly post ignorant comments intended to inflame others. Your professionalism is less than desirable.

Chris Schmidt
Tennessee

Reactions: j-huskey and 8208
Better yet.... you have run that mouth so much that I would enjoy seeing your action. I suspect you will not put your name on a post because you have no background whatsoever in the sport.

The serious ELR guys that I know, shoot with and compete against never incessantly post ignorant comments intended to inflame others. Your professionalism is less than desirable.

Chris Schmidt
Tennessee

As I've already said...I make ZERO claims to achieving anything nearly this good, not in the same universe. I'm just marveling at the folks trash-talking 2 and 3.5 mile shots. It's quite remarkable. And I'm simply inviting them to put up proof they can do better. So far, no takers. Interesting, no? You want to talk professionalism? Look at the stupid comments I'm replying to, from people saying, "Meh, no big deal. Look how many shots they took. Heck anyone can shoot that many times and hit something. Their target must have been large."

Let's talk "professionalism" and respect, shall we?

The point of this whole forum is long range shooting, right? So why is anyone even thinking of trash talking ... long range shooting.

Very odd.

To me, shooting needs to at least remotely emulate some possible real life scenario to be worth doing. Shooting at a target 2 or 3 times wider than a human being and taking 20+ shots to hit it just doesn’t strike me as even worth doing, regardless of distance.

Back to my first post - in my opinion, there should be some standard. 5 shots at 1 MOA or 20” square, whichever is smaller.

I’m not trying to dog these guys. I’m sure they put a lot of work into it. But would it have been impressive with 200 rounds? 100? 1000? I mean, what is the limit before we are 100% sure that any possible target would have hidden for cover. I can assure you, if someone misses me 21 times, I ain’t gonna hang around for them to hit me on the 22nd shot no matter how far away they were.

Whatever dude, whatever. I invite you to put up videos of you matching their hits at 3.4 and 2 miles. Call me easily impressed, I'd like to be easily impressed by you too.
First of all, I shoot for fun, not to post videos online.

Second, again, if the barometer for success is 20+ shots before hitting a target larger than a human being, that’s not something I find worth pursuing.

Third, clearly my goal is not to impress you.

Reactions: DMP
Status
Not open for further replies.