• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

30-06 Build Plan

Nathan11B

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2011
Osseo, Minnesota
www.facebook.com
So every nice Niles Coyote's build in the form of a Remington Long Range in 30-06, I've been bitten by the bug to build something similiar of my own and this would be my first centerfire rifle. The idea is to be able to use it for hunting and target shooting, weight hopefully somewhere between 14-15lbs loaded w/ ammo and scope.

This is the idea:

30-06 Build

Remington LA w/ Tactical bolt knob and trued up

Bartlien or Kieger barrel 1:10 twist 24 or 26 inches
Sendero/varmint contour

Badger scope base 20 moa

Seekins 34mm rings

Timney Trigger @ 2-2.5lbs

Bushnell 3.5-21x50 G2 reticle

Manners t2-2a or folder w/ mcs mini chassis dbm

I've toyed with going full custom and getting a custom action to go with the match grade barrel, but not sure if I wanna make that leap. There is another idea; buy a Remington Long Range in 30-06 and replace the stock, keep the barrel because they are 1:10 twists(hope it shoots) and add scope, base, trigger. The MCS mini chassis dbm seems like a solid piece, but haven't done a lot of research on it.

The 30-06 was chosen because since I've been a child, I've been infatuated with this round and people like Niles Coyote and MontanaMarine along with others have fueled it by launching this large projectiles at some serious distance. To me the 30-06 is just the iconic round of America as it's been around and still going strong, if not stronger then before with new powders and projectiles.

I welcome any extra thoughts, comments, questions, and concerns and any others thoughts you can think up.

Remington action is just fine and even better if you get it trued. If you don't have a reason for a short barrel, then go with a 28", you will appreciate the increase in velocity if you want to shoot to 1000 yards with it. You can always cut it off, but you cant add it back.

Get a Serengetti reamer from PTG. This is absolutely the best chamber reamer for a 30-06 and German Salazar will agree. It is all I will ever use. I can load 208 Amax's at 3.47" and still be off the lands.

208 Amax's and 210 Bergers are about the limit for heavy bullets before you get into diminishing returns. I have tried every 308 bullet available for a 30-06 from 168 grains and up and I have used about 26 different powders and the 208's/210's start to hit the wall at about 2850fps out of a 28" barrel. Pressure gets to high to push them faster. But that is good enough to give you 1500 fps at 1000 yards and about 1150 foot pounds of energy on impact at that distance. I have done a lot of work with the 215 hybrids but they are teetering on the line and I am not able to find a load and a velocity that is better than what I can achieve with the 208's.

I have wanted to do the same thing to my old adl for quite awhile. Good luck with the build. From what I've read I will likely get the serengetti reamer as well. I like the paper ballistics of the nosler 190 gr accubond long range bullet. Thinking 11 twist barlein...

I have an old Mauser in 30-06. it was sporterized and has a stupid light set trigger in oz's.... I am thinking of putting it in a basic stock and spinning on a 28" with a brake and go shoot the snot out of it. My dad bought it in 63' for $35. I think it needs new life. I too love the 30-06. Hard cartridge to beat.

I have an old Mauser in 30-06. it was sporterized and has a stupid light set trigger in oz's.... I am thinking of putting it in a basic stock and spinning on a 28" with a brake and go shoot the snot out of it. My dad bought it in 63' for $35. I think it needs new life. I too love the 30-06. Hard cartridge to beat.

Go for it man! Don't wait.

If this is for hunting Id just buy a Remington and replace the stock with that T2 you were talking about, if you want a precision rifle that really shoots good out really far, then have one built, Factory Rems shoot pretty good, my Model 70 '06 does also.

If this is for hunting Id just buy a Remington and replace the stock with that T2 you were talking about, if you want a precision rifle that really shoots good out really far, then have one built, Factory Rems shoot pretty good, my Model 70 '06 does also.

A bit of both honestly...wanna do some target shooting and hunting with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I didn't have so many irons in the fire right now with rifles underway and rifles I need to glass I'd buy one of those Remington's like Niles Coyote has in 30-06.

Even if you may go custom I'd still buy the long range model, at $700 it's a steal and if you don't like it you can get $300 for the stock and bottom metal and have $400 in the donor barreled action. If you're happy with its performance then drop it in the manners and have hardly any money tied up in it.

If I didn't have so many irons in the fire right now with rifles underway and rifles I need to glass I'd buy one of those Remington's like Niles Coyote has in 30-06.

Even if you may go custom I'd still buy the long range model, at $700 it's a steal and if you don't like it you can get $300 for the stock and bottom metal and have $400 in the donor barreled action. If you're happy with its performance then drop it in the manners and have hardly any money tied up in it.

Thanks for the response...seems like a good way to save money and if I want to the action can be trued with a match grade barrel later. I do like the Remington Long Range model. That might be a good starting place for me.

I agree, like I said if I didn't have so many irons in the fire I'd be in the same boat. With an AI AT on the way that will need glass, two custom AR's in progress, and a custom 243 getting ready to be started my gun funds are tied up for the rest of the year. Maybe I'll buy myself one for Christmas.

Is that with the standard Serengeti reamer or with some additional throat specified.

You dont need that extra length because you won't be able to load the higher BC bullets to mag length. I use modified 300 win mag magazines and when I load a berger 215 hybrid to just off the lands (cut by the serengetti), I am at 3.49". Amax's are at 3.47". Mag length is 3.50". If you extend the throat you will be limiting yourself to Sierra Match King style bullets (Tangent ogive), the elongated VLD types (Secant ogive) will be too long for the magazine to get their ogive close to the lands.

Anything heavier than a 215 in a 30-06 is a waste and you only get diminishing returns. Meaning, because of the case capacity limitations and the pressure issues you get trying to push them to perform better than a 200 to 215, your performance actually goes backwards. Anything heavier than a 215 really needs to be shot out of a 300 Win Mag.

You dont need that extra length because you won't be able to load the higher BC bullets to mag length. I use modified 300 win mag magazines and when I load a berger 215 hybrid to just off the lands (cut by the serengetti), I am at 3.49". Amax's are at 3.47". Mag length is 3.50". If you extend the throat you will be limiting yourself to Sierra Match King style bullets (Tangent ogive), the elongated VLD types (Secant ogive) will be too long for the magazine to get their ogive close to the lands.

Anything heavier than a 215 in a 30-06 is a waste and you only get diminishing returns. Meaning, because of the case capacity limitations and the pressure issues you get trying to push them to perform better than a 200 to 215, your performance actually goes backwards. Anything heavier than a 215 really needs to be shot out of a 300 Win Mag.

Honestly, I haven't even toyed with the idea of shooting anything higher then the 215s. The plan for the rifle is both hunting and some target shooting. Thanks for the input and the information, it's helped a lot as to make the proper decisions.

RHunter,

I don't normally disagree with your posts, but i have to take umbrage with your assertion that "Anything heavier than a 215 really needs to be shot out of a 300 Win Mag."

If the OP's target shooting application involves shooting bullseye type targets where the objective is to keep all the hits in the 10 & X ring, then the 215s and 230s should be considered.

The reason is simple; wind. These heavier bullets, shot at the same pressure (not velocity) levels, will ALWAYS buck the wind better helping with those missed wind call.

I base this on watching a guy shooting at our monthly 1,000yard matches. He was shooting 230gr bullets from his 308 rifle. While his velocity was a meager 2400ish ft/s, this bullet was still better in the wind than his 175s/178s at 2,750ft/s.

I also believe that German Salazaar also referenced some theoretical work backing up what we observed at the firing line.

I have no desire shooting bullseye or F-style matches honestly and no real use in shooting anything bigger than 208/215grains in projectiles for what this rifle's intended purpose. If there comes a time, then I'll address it when I get there, but thank you both for your contributions in knowledge and time. The intended purpose of the rifle is hunting/target shooting, I don't really think I'm going to be shooting anything heavier then 215 grains.

Nathan11B,

Your point is well taken however, my point about wind advantage stands.

Even if your are shooting silhouette style targets at distances greater than 600yards, the heavier bullets will be the difference between a hit and a near miss on a windy day...and remember, "only hits count".

That said, your chamber/magazine limitations (unless loading one round at a time is ok) will determine whether you can run the 230s.

WOW! So you're right at the end of the magazine with a 300WM mag? That's what I have too and it seems like there's a lot more room than that. I'll have to do some measuring.

If the OP's target shooting application involves shooting bullseye type targets where the objective is to keep all the hits in the 10 & X ring, then the 215s and 230s should be considered.

The reason is simple; wind. These heavier bullets, shot at the same pressure (not velocity) levels, will ALWAYS buck the wind better helping with those missed wind call.

Yes but we need to do this accurately. What I have encountered is finding an accuracy node, with anything over a 215, that is at a velocity where that heavier bullet will perform better than a 215 or 208 grain bullet will. You are assuming you will have an accuracy node at the same pressure and the only difference will be the weight and velocity of the bullet, that is not totally how it works. One of the lingering problems with the 30-06 is the 110 year old case geometry. When you have heavy bullets in it, the pressure can get out of hand real quick but that same case geometry is an added plus when you want to shoot bullets from 175 to 190... you can really get them screaming out the barrel and do it with great accuracy.

Two factors are really key to bucking the wind as you know, weight (and its corresponding BC) and velocity and they both happen to be a trade off from each other. The killer with shooting 220's and 230's and 240's in a 30-06 is excessive pressure that does not get transferred to velocity. When your last accuracy node is too close to the point were chamber pressure is a problem then you have to drop back to the next lowest accuracy node. Usually you will discover the ballistic performance at that 2nd to the highest accuracy node for a heavier bullet will be less than the ballistic performance of a lighter bullet being pushed faster that is at its highest accuracy node where the pressure is not as big of a problem. That is the point of diminishing returns.

There really is a performance wall in a 30-06 when you get to those really heavy bullets. The pressures get too high trying to get them out of the barrel at an impressive speed and the only thing you can do is lower the charge and when you do, the accuracy node you find may not give you any performance increase over a lighter bullet being pushed faster.

I know I said that basically twice, I just wanted to make sure it was easy to understand. Also understand that my goal is to develop a round that has at least 1500 fps of velocity at 1000 yards and over 1100 flbs of terminal performance. Those numbers give you good wind bucking ability to 1000. I dont want to "just make it" where the bullet is on it's last breath because accuracy does suffer and so does the bullets wind bucking ability at a lower velocity.

The idea is to be able to use it for hunting and target shooting, weight hopefully somewhere between 14-15lbs loaded w/ ammo and scope.
I welcome any extra thoughts, comments, questions, and concerns and any others thoughts you can think up.

I have found that when you build a "multi-purpose", jack of all trades type of gun that it is ultimately suboptimal in everything you use it for. Perfect analogy is the 308 win cartridge ... can be used for many applications but doens't really excel at any of them; IMO, the "hunter/tactical" concept is the same.

Instead of having the equivalent a golf bag with only a 5 iron in it, I suggest using the correct club for the job.

For a high quality hunting rifle, I would consider one of the hunter style manners 100% CF or mcmillan edge stocks, BDL (the manner's BDL mini-chassis seems like a good option), and a #3 contour sporter barrel. Your target weight should be ~ 8-9 lbs scope and all for a hunting rifle. I also think a scope requiring 34mm rings is a bit much; I'm sure you can find a 30mm variant that would suit your needs. In a hunting rifle, 30-06 is an excellent choice, because a reloader has many options to tailor the load as appropriate the intended game; pretty much any LGS has factory 30-06 ammo.

I think a 30-06 in a long range tactical rifle is ok, but, if you want a tactical rifle, go wth a medium palma or M24 contour barrel and an adjustable, tactical style stock such as a T2, T4 or A5, complete with DBM and topped off with a high top end power 34mm/35mm scope.

Sure, you can probably make what you suggested work, but I think (over time) you would be better satisfied with a build spec'd to a specific purpose. This is just my opinion, do you what you want.

I have found that when you build a "multi-purpose", jack of all trades type of gun that it is ultimately suboptimal in everything you use it for. Perfect analogy is the 308 win cartridge ... can be used for many applications but doens't really excel at any of them; IMO, the "hunter/tactical" concept is the same.

Instead of having the equivalent a golf bag with only a 5 iron in it, I suggest using the correct club for the job.

For a high quality hunting rifle, I would consider one of the hunter style manners 100% CF or mcmillan edge stocks, BDL (the manner's BDL mini-chassis seems like a good option), and a #3 contour sporter barrel. Your target weight should be ~ 8-9 lbs scope and all for a hunting rifle. I also think a scope requiring 34mm rings is a bit much; I'm sure you can find a 30mm variant that would suit your needs. In a hunting rifle, 30-06 is an excellent choice, because a reloader has many options to tailor the load as appropriate the intended game; pretty much any LGS has factory 30-06 ammo.

I think a 30-06 in a long range tactical rifle is ok, but, if you want a tactical rifle, go wth a medium palma or M24 contour barrel and an adjustable, tactical style stock such as a T2, T4 or A5, complete with DBM and topped off with a high top end power 34mm/35mm scope.

Sure, you can probably make what you suggested work, but I think (over time) you would be better satisfied with a build spec'd to a specific purpose. This is just my opinion, do you what you want.

Very true and right, just can't afford two rifles right now, so yeah why not try to incorporate two into one. I can always modify the build if something arises. You do have a valid point and I would intend on reloading as well.

If you focus on the action, barrel, brake, and trigger... you can always take that and drop it into another stock and rail system in the future.

I actually have an old synthetic stock for one of my 30-06's that when I go hunting I can take the barreled action out of the chassis and drop in the stock and I am GTG.

I've gotta disagree about an all around rifle, you absolutely can build a rifle that does a lot of things well. There's still going to be a few things it doesn't do great (30-06 doesn't make a great varmint/coyote rifle but it will work) but will get you by. I think you are going on the right path leaning the build a little more towards the tactical side of things. 14-15lbs will make a great LR rifle but still can be carried around to hunt. If that's too much buy a 700 ADL from Walmart for $400 and slap a $200 Leopoldo on it for a second hunting rifle.

I've gotta disagree about an all around rifle, you absolutely can build a rifle that does a lot of things well. There's still going to be a few things it doesn't do great (30-06 doesn't make a great varmint/coyote rifle but it will work) but will get you by. I think you are going on the right path leaning the build a little more towards the tactical side of things. 14-15lbs will make a great LR rifle but still can be carried around to hunt. If that's too much buy a 700 ADL from Walmart for $400 and slap a $200 Leopoldo on it for a second hunting rifle.

What would you think acceptable for weight of a hunting rifle? I have to say that I'm a bit conflicted between your post and LCDR's. Two stocks might be the way to go in the end.

Weight is subjective, I enjoyed carrying around a Kimber Montana that weighed 6.5lbs completely setup yet I've got no problem carrying around a 18-20lbs rifle. It doesn't really matter to me, if I was packing out an elk after the hunt it would be a different story.

I think 12-14lbs is a good compromise. I'm having a 243 hunting rifle built on a R700 action with 24" medium Palma barrel in a manners EH1 with APA bottom metal and I'm thinking it will end up 11-12lbs with a NF F1.

Build what you want, I wouldn't be swapping stocks.

A rifle carrier from somewhere like Eberlestock and rifle weight becomes less of a concern. That is unless you plan to take prolonged unsupported shots... My personal preference is to end up around 11.5-13 pounds right now. And when I bag my gear and rifle up for a hike in the hills of Montana I am somewhere around 30 pounds once you consider food and such. But then I over pack and rather enjoy a good work out while hiking/hunting... I am sure that will change in a decade or so. Maybe then I will build something lighter... or take a horse, LOL.

[MENTION=4375]redneckbmxer24[/MENTION] and I will just have to agree to disagree, and I'm fine with that. I'm not going to carry around a 10lb+ rifle through the woods or in the mountain if I can help it. If you don't mind hauling a 14-16 lb beast on a hunting outing, go for it. Hypothetically you can put a golf ball with a driver, but I'm not going to do it if I can help it. One well placed shot is all that's needed with a hunting rig.

Take a look at GAP's hunting rifles: Xtreme Hunter
That one is 8 pounds.

Non Typical
That one is 8.5 lbs.

I have been down the hunter tactical road before and, ultimately, I was unhappy with it and parted out the rifle. I found myself going to for rifle that was better suited for the purpose. Never again.

Well I do really appreciate all the advice, I've got my idea and just need to look at the folders from manners to see if they are worth it.

I really do love the Manners folding stock and mini chassis.....probably going to might the bullet on this lol!

Last edited:
So I've run into a question which I cannot answer on my own. While looking at Manners stock configuration under step 5 where is talks about DBM and what not, I'm not sure what they are saying about price for the different options such as Badger M-5 Detach Mag System and that it does not add anything extra to the cost or so it seem, while selecting the mini chassis adds another $360 to the price of the stock. Can anyone help explain this?

Nathan, the mini chassis is the only option that actually includes the bottom metal. The rest are just choices for the inlet they do. You would have to purchase the bottom metal separately to fit the inlet you choose with the other options.

Justin