• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

30-06 load development

Tuxedo007

Minuteman
May 12, 2014
NC
Am new to the site. Would like to thank all of you for your time & input! Even though I'm a long time reloader, most has been for handguns! Am trying to develop loads for a Win Mod 70 in 30-06. Has a 22" barrel. I thought I saw somewhere on the site this question discussed, but can't find it! Bullet weight would be in the 165 gr to 180 grain. Ranges would be out to maybe 500 yds. Rifle shoots well with some loads. Newbie needs help, please! Thanks in advance.

Howdy Tuxedo007,

Ya should have posted this in the reloading section.

There is also plenty of 30-06 load information on this site if you do a search.

Can you tell us what powders and bullets you have on hand?

Howdy Tuxedo007,

Ya should have posted this in the reloading section.

There is also plenty of 30-06 load information on this site if you do a search.

Can you tell us what powders and bullets you have on hand?

Sorry for the misplacement. Tried to do search, but either didn't enter correct terms or something else, cause got msgs that words were too common, too long, etc.

Bullets: 173 gr mil surplus match, 168 gr HP Bt match by Sierra & Hornady, 180 gr Speer & Sierra Spitzer.

Powder: H4831, IMR 4895, IMR 4350, Hodgdon Varget, Viht. 160.

I thank you for your response. If you could help me with some terms to find some of the info on site, would greatly be appreciated. Still trying to get knowledgeable about site & am stumbling along with main strength & awkwardness!

Apppreciate your help and thanks for taking time to respond!

Best regards & wishes for Memorial Day!

Tuxedo,

Those bullets are not the best to wring out max accuracy out of the '06.

I only have experience with IMR-4350 of all the powders you listed.

with the 173gr & 180gr bullets, try them with 56.0gr IMR-4350. That is a known accuracy node for those class of bullets and also shot well for me.

for the 168gr bullets, bump the IMR charge to about 57-57.5gr.