• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors .30 can on .223 ?

vobla

Private
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2002
New Zealand
Probably discussed 200 times here already, but I couldn't find any recent threads.

What would be the difference in performance of .30 suppressor on full power .223 compared to a 5.56 can?

I already have a .30 can from Reflex. Does the job on .308 with full power and subs. Wonder if I can use it on a .223 rifle effectively or is it going to be considerably louder?

Re: .30 can on .223 ?

This same question has been asked and asked a dozen times over. The topics are out there you just have to search.

It wont hurt anything. It also wont be as quiet as it could be but still enough to where your gonna notice a big difference in sound and felt recoil.

i just tried a yhm phantom QD for my 308 on my 223, not quite as quiet as a can specifically for the caliber, but IMHO it works just fine and you can save alot of money this route, get a good YHM set up with a QD flash suppressor on ur 223 and 30 cal takes 10sec. to ratchet it between the two.

<span style="font-weight: bold">"RE: .30 can on a .223?"</span>

Yes, I found my OPS 3rd model can to be quite effective on a 16.1" threaded MRP tube (basically taking it from being a dedicated .30cal bolt can to running it on a .5.56mm <span style="font-weight: bold">semiauto</span>).

On a .223 <span style="font-weight: bold">bolt gun</span>, it should work as well or better than a .223 can, because the .30cal's interior chambers/baffles are larger.

Just FYI, but with my OPS 3rd on the MRP, the first shot is somewhat loud-ish, but follow-up shots aren't.

See my post (along w/ pics), about 2/3rds down, in the following thread:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1448085#Post1448085

Hope this helps ...
cool.gif

I shoot my .308 cyclone on 223 and 223ai. I asked the same question of AAC and the reply was the extra mass of the 308 can makes up for the fact that the diameter on the 308 is larger than the 223 round.

Works good for me..........

Keith

I use a Cyclone-K on my 16" AR. The sound is fine... I do like the reduced blow back. :)

It's a little heavy. But I do like shooting with it a lot. I don;t get a lot of crud in my action. At the most a little soot on the top of the magazine and the first 2 rounds in the stack. No blow back in my face/eyes.

I got a thread adapter. I am very happy with the setup. Accurate, little blowback, and quiet. only 2 db louder than the best AAC 5.56 can. I would rather have the 2 db than the blowback. Also less chance of a baffle strike. I have read of a few 5.56 baffle strikes lately with NATO ammo. a Lttle wiggle room does not hurt.

A fun workable set-up, plus it saved cash ...

<span style="font-weight: bold">OPS 3rd on 16" MRP</span>.
SOS-1.jpg

On mine, the first shot through is a bit louder than the rest. I assume this has something to do with the initial rush of gas expanding into the chambers (or something like that), but the shots taken after that are definitely hearing-safe.

It's a heavier set-up than running a dedicated 5.56mm can, but then there's that cost-savings thing to consider ...
wink.gif

I have no complaints running a 30 cal can on a 223ai bolt gun. Sound is good. Good way to save a few bucks. One 30 cal can and multiple threaded breaks.