• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

300 AAC bolt guns

trob_205

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jul 11, 2013
    Coldwater, MI
    I’m finishing up a 300 AAC SBR AR build and I got a strong want for a little lightweight 16” 300 AAC bolt gun now. I see the howa mini action, RAR, and Rem model 7. Kinda leaning towards a model 7 300 AAC with a lightweight B&C stock. Nothing to sink a whole bunch of money into but something nice. I’ve also looked at maybe a semi custom build. I’ve seen some issues with the KRG bravo or Magpul hunter stock not working well with 223AI pattern mags and the 300. Didn’t know if anyone has had any luck with certain combos. Probably get a 1-4 or 1-6 LPVO. What have you all went with or built? Pictures more than welcome.

Last edited:
    If you have the cash building one is always fun. The Ruger American in 300BLK is a cool option with the AR mags. I had one in 223, it was shockingly accurate.

-Stooxie
    I just realized they did an AR mag version. That’s cool as hell. Realistically I’d just like a fun little quiet range toy that wouldn’t be too much to carry around the farm and woods for chucks and coons. Shelling out decent coin for a build doesn’t sound ideal but I’d also like something that works well lol.

I haven't had a kimber in 300bo, yet. I have had one in 223 and the smaller crf action is nice for the smaller cases.

I still want to buy one. Just waiting for the right deal to present itself.

I just realized they did an AR mag version. That’s cool as hell. Realistically I’d just like a fun little quiet range toy that wouldn’t be too much to carry around the farm and woods for chucks and coons. Shelling out decent coin for a build doesn’t sound ideal but I’d also like something that works well lol.
    The AR mag compatibility is a big part of my attraction to the Ruger. You never know when you might wind up in a herd situation.
    shooting_smilie2.gif

I had the rotary mag version and it served admirably as my thermal host for a couple years. But once I got a blackout in an ar platform my bolt blackout wasnt shot at all for the next year. I actually just had it rebarreled into a 223.

Unless you have a specific purpose for the rifle I think youll find that you just dont shoot it as much as you would something thats a bit more capable at longer ranges.

Not what you are asking, but I have a 300 blackout/223 Ackley switch barrel that I haven't shot in a while I would let go. Both barrels are Rock Creek, Remington action, B&C stock. Neither barrel has seen much use. Let me know if interested.

Thanks

Eddie

I had the rotary mag version and it served admirably as my thermal host for a couple years. But once I got a blackout in an ar platform my bolt blackout wasnt shot at all for the next year. I actually just had it rebarreled into a 223.

Unless you have a specific purpose for the rifle I think youll find that you just dont shoot it as much as you would something thats a bit more capable at longer ranges.
    Good insight and I see what your saying. I could build another blackout AR and probably should weigh that option too. The one I just put together is a 10.5” with a sandman-k ordered. More of a HD/PD roll shooting super sonic loads. I have an TBAC ultra 7 that I think I would rather spin on a light and handy 100 yard and in bolt gun that could shoot supers if I so choose to. I have a bit before I can get started on it so I have the time to chew on it.

I had the ruger american ranch gen1 then upgraded to the Gen two.
    The first on I had was very impressive accuracy wise. The stock and mag sucked real bad. But with my budget reloads using 147gr m80 on 16gr H110 it was still under one inch. And with the platted Rainer 180gr sub loads it's was around 2-2.5"@100y. Not bad for ¢15/rd.
    However the ar mag one I got had zero freebore on the throat. The rifling would make contact with the bullet before the bearing surface about .06" off the case mouth of a Sammi trimmed case. Only bullet I could get to chamber at a reasonable seating depth was a wedge shape bullet stuffed in the neck. Lots of room in the mag. A 220gr smk sub had no chance to come close to closing the bolt.
    Ruger sent me a label and wanted to check it out. But I lost intrest and it's still sitting in the box.
    But I also upgraded the 223 version from old to new and both are very accurate. I can shoot rams (standard steel target) at 500yrds all day with a budget Vortex off the bench.
    It's a great hunting rifle. Say what you want about shooting white tail with a 223 but load them properly and it's better then most factory 243. I got 4 with it so far and watched all of them hit the ground.
    For the price I tell people they are hard to pass up.
    Just my ¢2

This isn't an sbr, but it is my short barrel bolt action 300 blackout! I haven't done any load development yet but I have plans to this winter.

*KAK 9 inch remage barrel
    *Stripped rem700 reciever
    *Black Collar Arms Pork Sword Chassis
    *Sig mcx brace
    *Badger Ordnance rings
    and 20moa base
    *Ergo Veritical grip
    *Weaver Tactical 2-10x36
    * SAS Reaper suppressor
    *UTG mlok bipod (don't laugh, it's pretty stable)
    IMG_20190726_190226_329.jpg

This picture is off my Instagram page.

@BurnOut how do you like the Howa mini?
    Honestly, it might be my favorite rifle to shoot in the collection at the moment; light, smooth, and the (modded) factory trigger leaves little to be desired. If I really pay attention to my shooting fundamentals, it'll group 12x grain cheap-o steel case hollow points into a pretty consistent 1.25-1.5 MOA with the occasional sub-MOA group (all at 100 yards; I haven't stretched it out at all).

I have another Howa mini that I had rebarreled into a .223 AI and dropped into a Boyd's Pro Varmint stock, and that, too, is an absolute joy to shoot. It, and a T3 in .204 Ruger are my prairie dog rigs.

Reactions: rookie7
    I had a 300 BO in an AR platform. shooting it suppressed with 220gr, it wouldn't kill shit (for me) this is the god honest truth, at 70-80 yards the bullet would literally ricochet off an armadillo... I had no confidence shooting a pig with this set up. switched to 125 gr SST's and after a medium sized sow took 8 shots like nerf darts, I traded it to a buddy. has anyone else had luck killing with one? I think a short barrel bolt gun would be cool to have in the truck but at the moment, I don't have confidence in this round.

There are actually no safe loads for 220gr jacketed bullets using Trail Boss for .300BLK.
    I've read that it does well with 247gr cast bullets, but even then 5.3gr fills the case right up to the base of the pill.

I didn't say you would use TB in 300blk. The question was asked why is 300 blk better than a 308 loaded with TB. You responded 300 blk is more economical. I don't agree my Sierra load data for 300 blk says the average regardless of powder for a 300 blk to push a 220 pill 1050 your about 11 grains of powder.

So how is a 300blk more economical than a 308?

There are actually no safe loads for 220gr jacketed bullets using Trail Boss for .300BLK.
    I've read that it does well with 247gr cast bullets, but even then 5.3gr fills the case right up to the base of the pill.
    The 308 takes only 12 grains of trail boss. Not a blackout obviously.

And my 220 pro hunter recipe was 12.1 gr of cfe blk was 1050 so its pretty much a wash as far as powder weight goes. The economy thing really only boils down to brass selection and you can get better 308 brass easily than you can good blackout brass.

There is no real economy savings for someone that loads their own and for factory ammo blackout isnt exactly the cheapest, its pretty on par with 308.

Dombern34, I will say that this is a sub only gun and have never shot supersonic in it. All reloads with previous mentioned bullets that are made to expand and expand they do. I’ve actually had several drt’s with heart/lung shots. I zero at 100 and have never lost one from @ 40-130 yds. I’m opposite from others in that I have one in the ar platform but rarely shoot it anymore.

The only advantage 300 blk has vs a 308 loaded down is magazine overall length if your trying to get 308 sub performance in an ar platform or if you already have a bolt gun with a 223 bolt face.

Reactions: spife7980
    I had a 300 BO in an AR platform. shooting it suppressed with 220gr, it wouldn't kill shit (for me) this is the god honest truth, at 70-80 yards the bullet would literally ricochet off an armadillo... I had no confidence shooting a pig with this set up. switched to 125 gr SST's and after a medium sized sow took 8 shots like nerf darts, I traded it to a buddy. has anyone else had luck killing with one? I think a short barrel bolt gun would be cool to have in the truck but at the moment, I don't have confidence in this round.
    I agree on the sub hunting, its good for injuring more than killing unless you hit the brain or spine. Not a fan and quickly moved on from it.
    I had good luck with a 150 game king though at 1750 fps, one of those supers let more blood out of a pig than 10 subs would.
    I keep the blackout because it fits in a small frame ar and offers more whomp than 223 in its 10" size and I like that for carrying around the pasture at night where you can walk up to 40 yards away from pigs and its light weight. If it werent for that I would go for something with more juice.
    The blackout is really more of a novelty than a serious chambering IMO. Its got its size going for it and thats about it.

Last edited:
    I agree on the sub hunting, its good for injuring more than killing unless you hit the brain or spine. Not a fan and quickly moved on from it.
    I had good luck with a 150 game king though at 1750 fps, one of those supers let more blood out of a pig than 10 subs would.
    I keep the blackout because it fits in a small frame ar and offers more whomp than 223 in its 10" size and I like that for carrying around the pasture at night where you can walk up to 40 yards away from pigs and its light weight. If it werent for that I would go for something with more juice.
    The blackout is really more of a novelty than a serious chambering IMO. Its got its size going for it and thats about it.

that's right, I ended up just shooting 125's with no can when and IF I took it hunting. I did love how quiet it shot with the 220's it was like Hollywood quiet lol. I may give it another go in a bolt gun if I can find a good round that's pretty quiet and will do the job on small stuff.

How did this discussion become about sub sonic hunting? I didn't see anything about that in the OP. I've used 110gr Barnes TTSX to kill plenty of deer. Always a passthrough.

-Stooxie

How did this discussion become about sub sonic hunting? I didn't see anything about that in the OP. I've used 110gr Barnes TTSX to kill plenty of deer. Always a passthrough.

-Stooxie
    I mentioned this gun would be mostly subs and woodchucks and that’s where it went lol. That Barnes 110 TSX looks pretty nasty for deer sized game. Would be my first choice of PD/HD other than how much penetration it’s gets. The 110 VMAX hornady Black or gorilla 110 Varmageddon look to be my front runners for the AR at home.

Reactions: DukeGSP