300 Norma Improved... can I make this happen?

ZLBubba

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
Maryland
So I'd been set on going with a 7mm/300WM for the LRI Group Buy but then I realized I had most of the makings of a 300 Norma Improved. Here's what I've put together so far:

- Rem 700 LA magnum action - STILL NEED A PTG BOLT!!! - Calling PTG tomorrow.
- AIAX LA Chassis with 2 mags
- Bartlein Sendero 1:10" twist barrel, 1.350" tenon shank for added strength
- Stacks of 230gr Berger Hybrids
- As of now, no brass...

What I'm worried about is getting a PTG bolt and the rounds properly feeding out of a AIAX magazine. Does anyone have an idea of whether this will work? Have I missed anything?

Call Chad Dixon at LRI (seen here) as he's already built a 300 Norma Mag 40 Imp and although the details of the rifle and the customer are a touchy subject...the rifle flat out SHOOTS.

Feeding it from AIAX mags...I wouldn't know. With the case being slightly shorter than the LM cases, I don't foresee any serious issues, but I have no experience with it.

It's the caliber I'm looking at in the future as I don't feel the desire to step up to the full blown .338's (probably won't go "Imp" though)

Called LRI and got all the specs for the new bolt. PTG will be sending an LA 2-piece bolt with a Lapua bolt face in 4-6 weeks. That will bump me back a bit in the LRI Group Buy queue, but oh well. My barrel is on its way from Southern Precision, going to finish it at 26 or 27". Still need to get that brass though.

Recently built a 300 Norma Magnum on a Savage PTA Dual Port benchrest rifle with a 30" Bartlein 5R 10" twist barrel. The chamber was set up with a very long throat for single shot feeding of the Berger 230gr. Target Hybrid. The loaded rounds are WS2 coated and measure 3.710" COAL with a .010" bullet jump. Max. velocity node accuracy of 3160fps , it is flatter shooting past 1 mile than my 338 Lapua rifle with Berger 300 gr. @ 2750 fps. You will be impressed with the Norma performance.

BC, you're in Maryland as well? Where are you able to strech the 300NM's legs out? The closest places I know are either Peacemaker in WV, or with Central Virginia Tactical.

I'd love to hear more about the build. Hit me up on PM