300 PRC update

.... you are correct. I swear that last year when i was considering that bullet, Berger's official stance was 1:8 or faster.

Good to know. Thanks
I think it was, but even their own stability calculator was showing 1/9 as sufficient. I'm sure this crowd is aware but Litz says faster twists aid stability and thus drag (especially entering transonic), which makes trajectories more predictable.

Reactions: BCX
I think it was, but even their own stability calculator was showing 1/9 as sufficient. I'm sure this crowd is aware but Litz says faster twists aid stability and thus drag (especially entering transonic), which makes trajectories more predictable.
i do have a spare barrel for it that is 1:8twist but dont anticipate needing it for a while.

I am not sure if this is something for a new thread or just keep it here...

As a refresher, i am shooting a 300PRC, 30" barrel, 1:9twist, Berger 230gr HOTM and my average MV is 2972. I previously used a LabRadar to get my MV and have since moved over to the Garmin Xero. My scope is a Vortex Razor Gen III 6-36x56.

I setup my scope with a mount that allows me to set a 800yd zero with enough elevation to reach out to 2200yards.

I was at the one-mile on Sunday and the gun performed well. However, the predicted elevation was 46MOA but the actual elevation as dialed in on the scope was about 43.5 MOA. I received my calculation for windage using a Kestrel, Vortex Fury HD AB, and an app on my phone and all provided similar predictions of 46MOA. When i calculated what the correction would be to true the MV, the difference was appx 70fps (initial MV was 2972 and calculated correction was 3042MV). I previously noticed a similar correction needed back in March on the same Rifle/Scope during my first ELR experience.

My question is whether or not this is normal. I am guessing that the need for a correction could be caused by a number of different factors including differences in how the scope measures and other factors.

In the end, what I am trying to understand is what could be the cause of the difference and whether or not to manually update my MV in my calculation.

As a refresher, i am shooting a 300PRC, 30" barrel, 1:9twist, Berger 230gr HOTM and my average MV is 2972. I previously used a LabRadar to get my MV and have since moved over to the Garmin Xero. My scope is a Vortex Razor Gen III 6-36x56.

I setup my scope with a mount that allows me to set a 800yd zero with enough elevation to reach out to 2200yards.

I was at the one-mile on Sunday and the gun performed well. However, the predicted elevation was 46MOA but the actual elevation as dialed in on the scope was about 43.5 MOA. I received my calculation for windage using a Kestrel, Vortex Fury HD AB, and an app on my phone and all provided similar predictions of 46MOA. When i calculated what the correction would be to true the MV, the difference was appx 70fps (initial MV was 2972 and calculated correction was 3042MV). I previously noticed a similar correction needed back in March on the same Rifle/Scope during my first ELR experience.

My question is whether or not this is normal. I am guessing that the need for a correction could be caused by a number of different factors including differences in how the scope measures and other factors.

In the end, what I am trying to understand is what could be the cause of the difference and whether or not to manually update my MV in my calculation.
Have you tried truing the BC to match the actual MV and elevation you were using?

are you running a G7, CDM or PDM?

All I can say is those are incredible numbers. Berger's data shows they only got 2805fps with their max load of N565 (78.7, nearly a full grain more than your load). Yes, it was a 26" barrel vs yours at 30", but still that's a lot of difference. You're getting 167fps more than they did with 0.9gr less of the same powder, and truing a whopping 237fps higher at distance. Those numbers are higher than most 300 Normas are getting.

All I can say is those are incredible numbers. Berger's data shows they only got 2805fps with their max load of N565 (78.7, nearly a full grain more than your load). Yes, it was a 26" barrel vs yours at 30", but still that's a lot of difference. You're getting 167fps more than they did with 0.9gr less of the same powder, and truing a whopping 237fps higher at distance. Those numbers are higher than most 300 Normas are getting.

Not sure if it makes a difference but my barrel is a gain-twist. It starts out as a 9.25 and ends up at a 9.

I’m getting 2960 out of a 28” barrel using 76.7 RL26 and 230 A-Tips. I’m using the AB mobile CDM and numbers are very close with observed dope. Switching between a G7 and CDM really only changes the data by about 1 MOA at that range.

I have never tried that. I will look into it.

Is that the preferred approach over changing the MV?
Custom drag model is the way to go but truing the BC for the distance your shooting is actually what the bullet is doing during flight vs making up a velocity number to coincide with your elevation adjustment.

The following was using 230gr Berger HOTM, 77.8gr N565, CCI #250 Magnum Large Rifle Primers
300PRC one-mile at Clinton House SC
#Speed (FPS)Δ AVG (FPS)Time
12996.823.911:06:16 AM
22963.7-9.211:08:12 AM
32961.6-11.411:10:46 AM
42978.65.711:12:22 AM
52974.21.311:13:57 AM
62954.0-19.011:15:49 AM
72961.6-11.411:24:44 AM
82972.90.011:27:12 AM
92979.97.011:28:59 AM
102961.2-11.811:30:59 AM
112991.518.611:33:08 AM
122967.6-5.411:36:53 AM
132984.611.711:40:33 AM
AVERAGE SPEED2972.9
STD DEV12.4
SPREAD42.8
SESSION NOTE0.0
DATEJune 23, 2024 at 11:02 AM

Before adjusting BC make sure your look angle and sight height is set correctly. Maybe do a tall target test to validate your scope!!

Before adjusting BC make sure your look angle and sight height is set correctly. Maybe do a tall target test to validate your scope!!

Got it... good points, thanks

As for look angle, I am assuming that is the same as LOS. At the mile, that was kinda hard to confirm but it was pretty much right on, less than 10 degrees for sure.

I have never tried that. I will look into it.

Is that the preferred approach over changing the MV?
My preferred method is to put a cheap chrono behind the steel plate your shooting and at the distance you are shooting. I did this for my 6.5 CM and trued the BC to actual speeds. Now that I have the 300PRC new loads tested I might try the same thing at 1000yds next time I'm shooting.

I got back to the range with the Pokemon Rifle - After some sighters and practice it put down a 5" group at 1k. I thought about shooting 2 more shots but figured I might ruin it so I went and shot some CZ97s.

Attachments

• 20240628_174922_HDR.jpg
    20240628_174922_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
  • 20240628_182357.jpg
    20240628_182357.jpg
    976.9 KB · Views: 42
Got a decent group at 1250 with 32.5 MOA on the Ivey base. I made new dopecards, working on my dial base. I'm looking for a place to stretch it to a mile now - somewhere in TN/AL/GA. I think all the events/days in Blakely are filled. I found some 230 Bergers and may load them up.
What bullet what would be best trans-sonic? 198 PV solids, 220ELDX, 230Bergers

What’s your first thought on this factory ammo chambered and then ejected in a brand new barrel?
It looks like this all the way around and I can feel them with my fingernail.

Attachments

• IMG_9146.jpeg
    IMG_9146.jpeg
    308.5 KB · Views: 47
Sorry for the bad pics. I took a pic of another phones screen, so it’s not nearly as clear and detailed as it actually was. Chambering doesn’t look too bad. But the rifling…..😳
The chatter runs the entire length of the barrel in all 6 rifle grooves.

Attachments

• IMG_9150.jpeg
    IMG_9150.jpeg
    406.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_9151.png
    IMG_9151.png
    2 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_9148.jpeg
    IMG_9148.jpeg
    412.1 KB · Views: 42
What makes it worse (and scary) is that the minor measurement that should be .300 dead nuts, we couldn’t fit a .295 in the barrel. It was too big!

I shot 5 rounds down this brand new barrel, and the fire cracking in the throat looks like 1000 rounds

I like 74.6 of N565
Max load 76.4 looks great, but depending on fps wants, I’d take accurate easy load that’s not pushing the limits of my gear.
What kind of speed you getting with this?

I like 74.6 of N565
Max load 76.4 looks great, but depending on fps wants, I’d take accurate easy load that’s not pushing the limits of my gear.
2,761 fps average.
I'm not really aiming for a high velocity, as long as it's not too slow and as long as I can hit the target at a mile.
this group POI is a bit lower than the one to its left and its right. wouldn't that be a problem?

I didn't hit any pressure signs for any of those loads. the "max load" refers to what the manufacture websites recommend.
Yeah, but my point is that I don’t think that’s right. I have data sent straight from Berger for 230gr LRHT. With Retumbo their STARTING load isn’t much less than what you’re showing as “max”. For the 230, they start at 75.9 and go to a Max of 83.4. Obviously, your lighter 220gr bullet should allow the charges to be even higher. I started to bump into pressure at 80.0 with the 230, but you shouldn’t even be really in the ballpark at 76.4, especially with a 220.
IMG_7610.png

Yeah, but my point is that I don’t think that’s right. I have data sent straight from Berger for 230gr LRHT. With Retumbo their STARTING load isn’t much less than what you’re showing as “max”. For the 230, they start at 75.9 and go to a Max of 83.4. Obviously, your lighter 220gr bullet should allow the charges to be even higher. I started to bump into pressure at 80.0 with the 230, but you shouldn’t even be really in the ballpark at 76.4, especially with a 220.View attachment 8469117
I used the data from Hodgon. Yes I have seen that table from Berger. Not sure who is correct so I used the lower ones.

I like 74.6 of N565
I think I will pick that for my seating depth test. One question, is it necessary a bad thing to see the vertical strings in this group and the two next to it?

For me, and I’m only slightly better than a novice, unless I have the rifle strapped to a sled, vertical stringing could be heartbeat, but that’s just my personal feeling on that. How much is the bullet and how much is my heartbeat?
If you can put it in a sled where you don’t factor into movement guaranteed, that’s when you’ll know for sure.

Just my 2c which is usually worth less than a dime 😁