• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

.300 Weatherby Mag

widnerkj

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2010
MA.
www.ar15.com
So, due to the fact that my old man uses a .300 weatherby, I have the reloading tools for that. And the components. Three of the rifles I've been eyeballing lately are only availiable in 300 win mag, But from what I understand, I can cut a win mag chamber into a weatherby mag. Any input on this project? and does the .300 wby fit into the AI mag?

Re: .300 Weatherby Mag

if you set the 300wby chamber back it will clean up the 300 win mag chamber you can run ultramags in the AICS 338 lapua mags with modification so you will be able to run the 300 WBY without to much drama at worst you willhave to have the ribs machined out but there are people that can do that but i would test them first.

I cannot see your reasoning if you have the 300 win mag just get dies and 100 cases the rest of the components will work and the cost of rechambering would likley be more than cases and dies just something to think about but either will work for you.

The barrel should not be an issue. Have a few thousands shaved off the back of the barrel first then rechambered.

How well it will work depends on the the length of the Magazine well. C.O.A.L. for the Weatherby is 3.56 and the Winchester it is 3.340

If your barrel is less than 26" I would refrain from do it. Simply because of the amount room need effectively burn 75 to 85 grains of powder.

Make sure you find a gunsmith that is experienced in both rechambering and modifying action.

I can get the chamber reamers for almost nothing through a friend at work right now, and i'm courious what people would think about an AW .300 weatherby mag. I've got my two AR-15's one's an 18" .223 and the other is an 18" 6.5 grendel, now i just need my bolt rifle that does everything well.

Really depends on what you want to do with the rifle.

The 300 Weatherby is a great hunting round, 200 grain at 3000 fps works really well on everything.

If the goal it punch holes in things at great distances there are better 30 caliber cartridges.

The 300 Winchester throated to handle a 240gr Matchking.

The old 30-338 is still great at punching holes.

Then there is the Johnny come lately(11 years?) 300 RUM.

There is nothing wrong with building a rifle the way you want it. Just make sure you know what you really want.

well, I want a weatherby. frigging badly. because i'm a cheapskate, and I really like not paying for components. I was looking into rebarreling a rem 700 into the weatheby, but after talking with my father, I now realize I can re-chamber a 300 win mag. without even pulling the barrel. I really was stareing hard at at the savage 110BA and rebarreling it, but just doing a chamber job is less expinsive. We have the dies and the brass out laying around the house, so I figure someone should put them to use whil my father is working in DC for the next few years.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lefteyedom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The barrel should not be an issue. Have a few thousands shaved off the back of the barrel first then rechambered.

How well it will work depends on the the length of the Magazine well. C.O.A.L. for the Weatherby is 3.56 and the Winchester it is 3.340

If your barrel is less than 26" I would refrain from do it. Simply because of the amount room need effectively burn 75 to 85 grains of powder.

Make sure you find a gunsmith that is experienced in both rechambering and modifying action. </div></div>

If he is really set on using AI magazines COAL will not be a problem as they allow for 3.65"

Widnerkj:

I had a .300 WBY "tactical" rifle (not a Waetherby-built rifle) once. I was like you and insisted on a Weatherby Magnum cartidge. It shot great for about 200 rounds and then accuracy fell off fast. In training, and shooting groups, I burned the barrel out in a hurry. I guess most .30 magnums are prone to this, but the Weatherby did it really fast in my opinion. I got all of 600 rounds down the barrel before it was a lost cause. I kept the brass and loading equipment and bought a Weatherby Mark V Deluxe for hunting (low volume of fire). The tactical rifle is in pieces waiting to become something else.

I have heard that only Weatherby can make their cartridges shoot well. I would think that a really good gunsmith could as well, but have not found many willing to deal with this line of cartridges. Like mentioned earlier, there are better .30 cartridges out there for this type of long range shooting.

That's my humble opinion and experience. Best of luck!

Semper Fidelis,

yup the more I crunch the numbers and try to work it out, the more I think it's not such a good idea. it'd be cool to have the nearly free ammo, but for what I'm after, I'll leave the Long action projects be for now. I'm just gonna focus on the 6.5 grendel for now.