300 Weatherby

rlsmith1

Legalize Freedom
Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 1, 2019
    Midwest
    Looking to maybe put together a big brother to my 6 Creed. I have tools to reload but don't have as much time as I would like so factory loads are important. I already have a 300 Wby rifle to hunt with, so I'm wondering what I could expect from the Weatherby when compared to the WM and Norma? My thought is to purchase factory ammo for my hunting rifle and use that brass to feed this rifle that would be loaded with heavier pills. I'd love to make it to 2,000 if possible. My other option is to just build a 300 WM and be 85% there performance wise but have a lot more options in factory loads. Thoughts? Thanks

I've got a 24" barrel with a 10" twist. I would like to keep that rifle how it is though and keep hunting with it. I would like to build a dedicated long range rifle and if I don't have to recreate the wheel with brass and ammo that would be nice. Probably run a 26" or 28" barrel on the new build.

The 300 wby is a great cartridge and many 1k+ matches have been won with it back in the day.
    I would go with a 9 twist barrel for the heavies.i would keep it at 28" to 30" long.
    The 300wm is one of my favorites rnds,and as you mention their is plenty of match ammo avaliable for it.

Reactions: rlsmith1
    On the heavier bullets and longer barrel length, will I see an extra 200 fps or what will the Wby give over the WM? Is is in line with the Norma? I haven't gotten into the 30 cal magnums much obviously.

So I'm thinking I will go with the 300 Wby since they just advertised they are cutting their prices by 30% and when asked if the retailers will see the same reduction, Weatherby said the price change will affect the market as well. Not sure if it will be by the same 30% or not.

Regardless, I am going to start thinking about a LR build around the Weatherby case. My next thought is 30 cal vs 7mm. (If I went 338 cal I would just go Lapua or Norma.) I would think bullet splash would be easier to see with the 30 cal. I'm thinking 300 Wby vs 7-300 Wby (very close to 28 Nosler). I read the 7mm's are not as stable going transonic as the 30 cal and larger bullets but I'm wondering if Berger was able to address that with their 195 EOL? Otherwise I would probably run a 215 or 230 gr Hybrid. The BC on the Hornady A-Tip is attractive but it will be interesting to see how that one shakes out, I know they are expensive. Again, dreaming of 1,500 to 2,000 yds

300 PRC will get you in pretty much the same ball park. If factory match ammo is in the picture, might give it a look. I'm running 225 ELDM Factory match ammo and it's performance matches my handloads out to about 1300yd. From there out I get a little more elevation spread but still enough to hit torso plates to 1600-1800.

230gr A-tip reloads have landed hits out to 1925yd (farthest range I have shot). Pop the 5" center popper out of steel plates at 500-800yd almost on command.