Votes: 9 19.1%
  • 338 Norma Mag

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • 338 Lapua

Votes: 9 19.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
.338 Lapua

300 grain bullets with a BC of .820 is all that needs to be said.

I like the 338 Norma Mag also, if you love the performance of 300 grain bullets, but it has 6.5% less case capacity and brass is a lot harder to find. Once fired 338 Norma brass is virtually unheard of and new 338 Norma brass runs almost $3 a case.

I have a 300 Win Mag also but it is too hard on the brass, Typically I get 4-5 reloads before the primer pockets get too loose whereas 338 Lapua Brass, made by Lapua, 15-18 reloads is not unheard of. When you can get once fired Lapua for $1.50 a case.. it's a no brainer.

When you do an actual cost comparison, shooting a 338 Lapua costs maybe .25 cents a round more to load and there is no comparison performance wise between the two.

I have some 300WM, 338WM, and 338LM hardware, but I am usually focused on 7mmRM for long range.
I have found that to be my best option in the weight, range, power, trajectory, windage trade, accuracy offs.

Back in '05, I decided on the 338LM just because it was novel and I could reload it for cheap. I ended up getting mine in Feb. of '06 and there weren't many people shooting it here, so it had that going for it.

Now, all of you peasants and your grandmothers are shooting the 338LM, so it doesn't quite have the cachet that it did back then.

It's a good, accurate round and fairly easy to reload.

Chris

Reactions: LongRangeJunky
I chose 300wm since there wasn't an all the above. Well, I actually have zero experience with the 300 Norma, but have a real fondness for the rest. My neck of the woods, when not shooting paper or steal, trying to fill the freezer, almost always reach for a 338WM, so anything with the phrase Win Mag in it is close to my heart.

I have a Barrett MRAD in .338LM, and a ArmaLite AR-30 in .300wm. Love them both with an edge performance wise to the .338lm due to b.c., but cost wise to the .300wm. Have ordered the .300wm barrel & conversion kit for the MRAD and suspect I'll shoot the .300wm to save money on reloading components, but will switch to the .338lm when it needs to count.

Unless you have serious skill and a loooooooong range, 338 Lapua is hard to justify in practical terms. I want one badly...but when I think about it seriously, I have to search hard to find a range that goes out beyond 1K. A 260 with less recoil and longer component life will do everything I do and not detach my retina or wallet...

Unless you have serious skill and a loooooooong range, 338 Lapua is hard to justify in practical terms. I want one badly...but when I think about it seriously, I have to search hard to find a range that goes out beyond 1K. A 260 with less recoil and longer component life will do everything I do and not detach my retina or wallet...

Part of the thrill of owning a 338 is the fun shooting it and the fact you can get great accuracy in a stiff wind. A 260 does not perform well in the wind. It is still an awesome cartridge though.

.300 WM due to wide availability of commercial ammo for hunting, precision or general use; and fact that I have used it for a long time. More economical to stick with that than jump to one of the more powerful cartridges.