• Site Updates Coming Monday

We’re planning to start making changes bright and early on Monday so you might see the site down fir a bit, but no worries, we’ll make our changes and be back as soon as we can!

VIEW THREAD
  • Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 win mag , Berger 185gr VLD hunting

Big_les

Private
Minuteman
May 19, 2024
new zealand
Hi,
going to load the berger 185 VLD hunters for my 300 win mag . Because i have a hundred of em .

Rifle A7 , 24inch barrell . shots real well with 180gr NORMA Bond strike factory ammo 3050 ft/sec

Looking for a velocity range that 185,s work best at .
I understand the projectile does better (accuraccy /performance ,) with some bullet jump as well . Any commentary on that subject ?

For those wanting to talk about loads . I have re 22 , adi 2209 , H1000 , a range of primers as well . So you dont need to disclose your recipes . I can work upto to a velocity with any powder, but maybe tell me which powder works great . Or just tell me anyway , cause those pills cost $246 / hundred ( In New Zealand ) and i dont want to waste them .

Why ? I use the rifle for shooting at spot , thats always well out there . could be 500 - 600 yards sometimes , and the rifle shoots fine ( I shoot Red Deer they weigh maybe 300 lb ) , but ammo is $154 / box
All opinion and advice welcome
cheers
les

I would try 2209 first. Then RE22. I don’t shoot light bullets out of my 300wm but know some people who had great success with H4350 so I’m hoping it will work in your application.

WOW.. 246-$ NZD a hundred for VLD's ? .
if you using your re22 with your 300wm. Probably a good starting Node with those 185's is in 2900+ vel. range. then move up from there . You can push them a lot faster than 2900+ range but that where it starts with using re22 and starting with 72 or 73 grn. of re22 . and test with Chrony on the Vel.

VLD does not work better with jump. they vastly prefer 10-30 thou jam.

The 215 hybrid prefers 30-40 thou jump and are superior to the VLD design. H1000 with fed 215 is the ideal combo

WOW.. 246-$ NZD a hundred for VLD's ? .
if you using your re22 with your 300wm. Probably a good starting Node with those 185's is in 2900+ vel. range. then move up from there . You can push them a lot faster than 2900+ range but that where it starts with using re22 and starting with 72 or 73 grn. of re22 . and test with Chrony on the Vel.
Been out on that start point of 72 / 73 , bit slow at 2850 ish found 74. gives about 2910 but an inch spread . So going to add ( say ) another 1 grain . and maybe get 2950 ish and maybe it will tighten up a bit . then we will see .