300PRC; build Bergara or go with Savage 110 EP?

K2e2vin

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2014
I was thinking about building/converting my Bergara HMR 300wm to a 300PRC, but looks like left hand LA chassis are uncommon and usually not available. The Savage 110 Elite Precision is available in 300PRC, has a decent trigger, and has a chassis that fits what I'm looking for(MDT ACC, which isn't even available for a LH 700 LA). The only other 110 I've fired is a Tactical in 300wm, seemed "clunky" but shot very well. Would it be a downgrade to go from a Bergara action to a Savage 110? Is there anything that can be done to the 110 to make it smoother? I'm not exactly happy with the Bergara action but anything close to my Tikkas would be nice.

I can’t help with the LH predicament/support, but I can share my recent experience with the rifles. I purchased a savage 110 based on the claims of out of the box accuracy…the claims are not unfounded, the rifle shot incredibly well, however that bolt lift and clunky action made shooting it not even remotely fun. I tried so hard to accept it, but sold it after a month. I picked up a Bergara B14 wilderness instead and couldn’t be happier.

Reactions: K2e2vin
My re-entry into the precision shooting game began about 10 years ago. Bought a Savage model 10 in .308 and it shot great. Later replaced the trigger, barrel, plastic stock and it shot even better. I still have it and like shooting it, but the exercise led to 5 custom action builds. Get what you can afford at the moment and go from there. If you decide to build, be careful because I have found that to be addicting.

Reactions: K2e2vin