• We're live!

We've got the homepage updated and subscriptions are now managed through HideTV. If you run into any bugs please contact alexj-12 or use our contact form for help!

ENTER HIDETV VIEW THREAD

300wm or 308 which is more accurate

Re: 300wm or 308 which is more accurate

If you're just starting out, get the .308 and work on your fundamentals. The barrel life will be way better and the ammo will cost less. Once you shoot out your first barrel, you'll be ready to decide on your next move.

Both are HIGHLY capable rounds in the hands of a capable, experienced shooter.

HOWEVER, since you already stated this will be your FIRST rifle for long-range shooting, we have to assume that your experience behind the trigger of a centerfire rifle is limited. That said...the .308 will serve you very well for a beginner rifle.

i have been on the trigger since i was a kid but compared to some of you guys my experience is very little. ive always stuck to smaller calibers shooting out to 600yrds. i reload so the cost isnt that big of a deal to me. ive talked to some local shooters and they perfer the 308. they gave me a few reasons but i dont want to pay out big money for a caliber that i will grow out of so to speak.

308 and 300 win mag are my two primary calibers, I gotta say hands down the 300 win mag is the better choice. I love both but prefer the 300 Win Mag overall. Much better distance you get to 800 to 1600 much easier and the wind is less of a problem with the right bullets. (208 Amax is amazing at cutting the wind drift in half compared to my 175 Sierra MAtch kings in my 308).
And the 300 Win Mag when hunting knocks targets down right where they stand, its powerful even at extended ranges.
If you going to be shooting 600 or less you wont notice much of a difference between the two, but after that its apparent.
However the 308 is much cheaper to shoot, less powder, longer barrel life, and longer brass life in my opinion.
Also if you go 300 Win Mag a BRAKE is a MUST HAVE or you wont enjoy the gun at all. With a brake its a pleasure to shoot.

For a target gun the .308 is the way to go imo. The 300 kicks like a mule. Are you shooting paper, elk, zombies, approaching crowd of looters ?

the main concern with everyone is that the 300 kicks like a mule. a brake would be the first thing that would be added if i go with a 300. my goul is to make 1000yrd shots. ive been doing a lot of research and they m700 tactical seems to be a very nice shooting gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shep48</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a target gun the .308 is the way to go imo. The 300 kicks like a mule. </div></div>

I agree but a BRAKE solves all that for 80 to 90 bucks. And well worth the extra distance, accuracy and power.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimbob_walker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">to me its like buying a camaro with a v6 when for the same price you can have it with a v8 </div></div>
That is an excellent analogy. Well said.

To answer your original question, they are both have the same accuracy potental. I have seen both do amazing things as far as accuracy goes. I think it comes down to how far are you planning to shoot. But with that being said there are some other options in 6.5 cal that will duplicate the 300wm ballistics and have the same accuracy with longer barrel life and cheeper to load for. Just my .02 for what its worth.

Read up on the .260 Rem, less recoil than a .308 and runs away from most .300WM loads out past 600 yards. Barrel life for the .260 Rem is between your two choices but brass and bullet selection is excellent.

A little food for thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: woodspider</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimbob_walker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">to me its like buying a camaro with a v6 when for the same price you can have it with a v8 </div></div>
That is an excellent analogy. Well said. </div></div>

purchase price may be same but dont forget about feeding the "v8", huge difference!!!!

308 gives up very little to the 300wm when it comes to practice...practice...practice and more practice.

for a one and done deal, when all is equal, yeah the 300wm but for day in and day out .308 all the way

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimbob_walker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">to me its like buying a camaro with a v6 when for the same price you can have it with a v8 </div></div>

If all you care about are muzzle velocity and bullet weight I can understand your analogy. But it doesn't take into account your lack of skill and fundamentals that will ultimately determine how the rifle shoots.

Without the skill to extract the extra performance out of the tool, the extra horsepower is useless.

Sure, you can get either of them into your gun room for the same price.

Trigger time is where your going to see a substantial cost difference.
300WM has an appetite for Retumbo and H1000... BOTH of which arent as commonly found as Varget.

Factory ammo is more expensive...Factory match ammo for 300WM is not common.

300WM barrels wear out ALOT faster than .308Win

Take your pick....
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimbob_walker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">to me its like buying a camaro with a v6 when for the same price you can have it with a v8 </div></div>

If all you care about are muzzle velocity and bullet weight I can understand your analogy. But it doesn't take into account your lack of skill and fundamentals that will ultimately determine how the rifle shoots.

Without the skill to extract the extra performance out of the tool, the extra horsepower is useless. </div></div>

i agree but when i spend the money for a gun i want something im going to be happy with even when i get where i want to be. im not totally stupid when it comes to shooting. im not an ammiture but im not a expert either. i like to talk to the experts and learn from them so maybe one day i can shoot with them. everyone has to start somewhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have to ask, get the .308. </div></div>

This.

Also do you even have a range that will warrant the use of the 300 over the 308?

Get the 308, and learn to drive it. If you learn to deal with a 308 you will be golden when you step to a more forgiving caliber.

308 with 175gr Sierras will get you to 1000 all day and wont kill your shoulder. Once you shoot out your barrel (5000+) rounds later you can convert it to a 260rem with a match BBL

Jimbo,
Remember,if you decide you want to shoot F-class, you can't use a brake on that 300winmag. Plus, you gotta learn to read the wind sometime and your learning curve will be much steeper with a .308. I shoot a lot of palma so I'm a .308 whore. Find a good .308, buy some new 155 gr. Sierras or Berger 155.5gr and have fun for 5 or 6 thousand rounds. You'll be rebarrelling that 300winmag in about 1500.

thank you all for the good info.i was almost set on a 300. now all i have to do is wait for the xcr tactical long range to be available. my local gun shop cant get em right now. must be all sold out.

My friend shoots his .300 win mag at F-class, no issues there as far as recoil. Although his rifle is approaching 18lbs so that helps. The only problem is that for us over here no one stocks any .300 win mag match ammo of any kind. Not a big deal but it is nice if you have a .308 and can pick up rounds locally in a pinch. Another option would be a .30-06 ackley improved.

There are lots of fish in the caliber sea... Get the .308, shoot with others and listen to what they say, along with what you read here. I place more value on what I hear at the range (where I can see the results first hand) than anything I read on the interwebz.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have to ask, get the .308. </div></div>
Wise words!

I like the 308 and have used it for quite a while , BUT as the local price of Sierra 308 175 gr SMKs is close to double the price of Norma 6.5mm , I am moving to the 260 Rem .

And thats solely based on the fact I can buy 100 SMKs or 200 Norma bullets for the same price , .

Good buy Sierra ,

Later Chris

At a 1000 the 300WM is the better round, check 1000 yard match scores, any any matches. Barrel replacement is a fact of life with a 308 or a 300, the 308 will last 4 or 5 times as long,but just like tires, they don't last forever. There was a time, not to very long ago, when most "tactical rifle" makers-made 308's, just like the military uses, only a little different etc, some with claims of "groups so small, you'll need a microscope.....". Now that the U.S. Army is going to the 300 win in their M24's, it won't be long before the rifle makers start with, "you only have a beginners rifle if you're shooting a 308, when you're ready for a real gun our model, XYZ is the only way to go etc." If you don't have a 1000 yard or better place to shoot, the 308 is going to give your best dollar value, if in fact you can shoot to 1000 or better, the 300 will keep you in the black. The bottom line is, everyone needs at least one of each, you're just deciding which one to buy first.

I went .308 for my very first rifle just this last year - so glad I did. I too was weighting up the .300 winny mag simply for the amazing ballistics but at the end of the day the .308 ticks too many boxes in the practicality section.