• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

.308 788?

nekoking

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2010
MO
Pawn shop notified me on a remington 788, has anyone used one? Reveiws pls, hes offering it for $349, it has a 5 shot clip with no optics, thats ok tho, cause my Nikon is goin on it, thanks.

Re: .308 788?

Should be a 3 shot clip, if its factory. I own several in different calibers. They are good cheap rifles. They do have some problems with breaking off the bolt handle but other than that they are good to go. I own every caliber except 44 mag, still looking for that one...

fwiw,
If memory serves they have the lugs in the rear and are known to be accurate. The school however told us the bolt was prone to bending... It is not a 700. Keep shopping if that is what you want. High round count? go with a 700...imho

Regards, Matt Garrett
757-581-6270

He also has a savage 10 in 308, but he wants over 600 for it, which is b/s in my opinion (pawn shops) Im takin into consideration the bolt catch, i think im gonna tellem to shove it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Headshot_308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pawn shop notified me on a remington 788, has anyone used one? Reveiws pls, hes offering it for $349, it has a 5 shot clip with no optics, thats ok tho, cause my Nikon is goin on it, thanks. </div></div>
Depending upon what you plan to use the 788 for, you may be better-off passing on it and getting a Remington 788. Aftermarket parts and upgrades are what the M700 is all about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought they were 3 rd mags. It's an oddball, you'll have a hard time finding any aftermarket stocks or other parts.

I'd tell him to keep it. </div></div>
One of my friends had a LH 788 in .308. It was in really nice condition and he sold it due to lack of available upgrades and to help fund his LH X-Ray 51, which should be ready pretty soon. I just wish he would switch to a MIL scope so we're calling in the same angular system...

Keith

That is a decent deal if it is a clean rifle. It would make a great hunting rifle and they are fun to shoot, but the lack of aftermarket support prevents them from being much more than that.

They shoot surprisingly well for what they are.

I see 788's, in good condition, go for more than that all the time on Gun Broker. The rifle has a loyal following and an interesting history. The general consensus is it's one of the most accurate rifles ever made by Remington. If the one your looking at it's in good condition I'd say that it a buy. Part are available, you just have to search the net for them. Timney makes a sweet trigger for the 788 and the price is not bad. While there's truth to the bolt handle breaking, I know there are many exceptions.

I bought my LH 788 (left bolt, with RH eject) new, 30+ years ago. It has seen many hard years of use and never failed me. Just refinished the plain Jane maple stock, it's now a natural blonde, and put a LimbSaver on it. Stock trigger was replaced by a Timney a couple years ago. It still sports the Scope Chief VI I put on it when I bought it.

Oh, rifle shots lights out! It's one rifle I will never sell... it's that good!

Xshot, what is the interesting history on the 788's?

I had one eons ago, a carbine in .243, it was a great shooting rifle. It really depends on what you want the rifle for, I think they're great for hunting, a truck gun, etc, but probably not the best choice for a build.

I learned to shoot, hunt and handload on a 788 in .243. I added a Canjar set trigger when I was 17 or so..it shot MOA or better with handloads. Boyds has aftermarket stocks for them. If you want to upgrade the stock, know that that even though .308 is generally known as a short action, it's considered the long action version of the 788. I learned that the hard way with a laminated stock I got from Elk Ridge about 10 years ago. EGW makes a sloped picatinny rail for it. Some parts are available from Numrich. Some smiths can also improve the factory trigger, I'm told. I think Timney makes a trigger for it as well.

I hang on to mine for the sentimental value, it belonged to an uncle of mine who passed away. Right now my gunsmith is going to recrown it, and bed it in a boyd's stock. When I get it back I'll post an update.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: emmagee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Xshot, what is the interesting history on the 788's?

I had one eons ago, a carbine in .243, it was a great shooting rifle. It really depends on what you want the rifle for, I think they're great for hunting, a truck gun, etc, but probably not the best choice for a build. </div></div>

Historical highlights:

Originally created as a low priced rifle to drive competing U.S. rifle makers out of the market. Marketed as a plain Jane, no frills, hunting rifle. Maple stock (cheaper than walnut), no checkering, no shiny stuff and no options. It's only marketing claim is it had the fastest lock time of any rifle in the market place.

Became popular very quickly and Remington sold a ton of them. The 788 action became a hot item in benchrest competitions for a few years.

Legend has it the 788 gained a reputation for out shooting Remington's higher priced rifles, which cannibalized sales, consequently it was discontinued.

There's quite a bit of information about the 788 available on the net. Just do the Google thing. Bottom line is the 788 is a damn fine hunting rifle that is still sought after by those that know.

If it is in good shape, that price is right on the $. I put a Ram-Line (cheap-ass) synthetic stock on one of mine in .308, for a light hunting rifle. I also put an EGW base and had my smith do a trigger job. That is the extent of improvements. You can find extra magazines on the net from $25 on up. These rifles really shoot well. I've read that in .308, there have been some problems with the rear lugs wearing do to bolt rise. Mine are fine, though. They haven't been made since, like 1986 (?)so they are commanding a $350+price tag. There is a pretty loyal following of the 788.

For those unfamiliar with the Remington 788, I posted some pictures below. Mine has been redone. I stripped the old varnish and dark stain from the maple stock. All I did was work Tru oil into the grain and replace the OEM butt plate with a Limb Saver. I did install pillars for the action screws and bedded them along with the action in Devcon epoxy. Trigger is Timney. Shot it today and it's still dead nuts @ 100 yards. The old 3-9x40 Bushnell Scopechief VI is their original BDC reticle (secondary line under the horizontal cross hair). Scope is still bright and clear after all these years.

PA290599.jpg

PA290597.jpg

I have always heard they were great shooters. I heard there were some issues with the trigger. I don't know what kind of parts you would be looking for. While the aftermarket support may not be as great as the 700, I would think you could find or adapt pretty much anything you wanted. At $350 it seems like a pretty good deal to me.

I've got the 788 Carbine in .243 it was my first True rifle, I have had it for over 25 years now. Its still in the same configuration as I received it from my dad. With the addition of some scratches on the stock. I took my first deer with it and a number of them since. Mine is a sentimental piece that I shoot once in a while. The Magazines are still available, you just have to look for them, The trigger was reworked by an AMU gunsmith and is very crisp. It is like what was mentioned above Accurate, Reliable, Magazine fed.

I actually have a collection of these including the 222. They are all great shooter and the 308 is a really good shooter. I installed the limb saver slipp on on the 308 alond with a Nikon optic. These rifles are light and accurate so I keep them around. I still take my GAP 308 or my 338AX on most hunting trips but the 788 are looking better as I get tired of carrying the heavy rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tazman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I actually have a collection of these including the 222. They are all great shooter and the 308 is a really good shooter. I installed the limb saver slipp on on the 308 alond with a Nikon optic. These rifles are light and accurate so I keep them around. I still take my GAP 308 or my 338AX on most hunting trips but the 788 are looking better as I get tired of carrying the heavy rifle. </div></div>

Yup, the .308 788 is an easy carry through the hilly woods I hunt here in Wisconsin. It has taken many a white tail and black bear too.

Yesterday, I was shooting the 6.8 SPC AR I built, because of this thread I took out the 788 to stretch it's legs. I shot 2 - 3 round groups of Winchester 150gr PP @ 100 yards. Both groups printed a tight clover leaf. The plan is to take the 6.8 SPC white tail hunting next month, but this 788 is going too!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you guys think a 788 action would be a good build for a 260 remington? I have one in 7mm-08 and got the bug for the 260. Or should I hold out for a 700 action? </div></div>

Simple answer... no. The value and purpose of a 788 is for hunting.

Well i went to the shop and checked it out, it was crap...the barrel had spots all over it and looked as if no one EVER cleaned it after shooting...just gonna save on that one and get a Savage eventually

This thread caused me to take Blondie (my 788 in .308) out this Saturday for the opening of our whitetail gun hunt. At first light I sat down on top of a hill, after I saw a couple of does run along a fence line a little over 300 yards away. I wasn't there very long before I picked up some movement in the plowed field on the far side of the fence. Pulled Blondie up and set the 30 year old Bushnell Scope Chief VI BDC turret to 300 yards and waited. Seconds later the yote crawled under the fence, stepped out of the thicket and looked directly at me. Too late... he took a Winchester Super X 150 gr SP just above the left eye.

The legend about the super accuracy of the 788 continues
smile.gif

Damn... forgot to pack my camera, so I don't have pictures.

FYI - that morning I used a 3 legged Stony Point rest I picked up at Gander Mountain on clearance, just a couple of days earlier. It's light to carry and really surprised me how well it worked.