• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

.308 die

20Incher

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2010
Westchester
I'm looking for a set of .308 dies.I just bought a dillon 550 set up in 9mm.I originally bought it for .308 but decided to get in 9mm because someone recommended doing 9mm because they said it's easier to do and it would get me started and I needed it anyway.So I'm pumping out 9mm .My question is,can I use any manufacture die on the 550?I have a couple of hundred one time fired cases from my 700 and it's going back into that gun only.I know everybody does it there own way meaning in fl sizing and neck sizing.I do care about accuracy but is one way easier then the other for a newb?Is there anything wrong in buying a used die or just go new?I'll be using varget 175 smk 210 primers.

Re: .308 die

You will need dies with a long enough external threaded length. Lee dies are very short. Redding dies are long and of course dillon dies are long for this reason.

The longer the threaded length you have, the better you can adjust your dies to depth you prefer. There may be others with suitable thread length but I have not tried any other than redding, dillon and lee.

Just as an FYI neck sizer dies are easier to work with as they don't require case lube. They work great for rounds taken from the same chamber they are going to be fired in. If your not worried about accuracy, the neck sizer die will save you time if nothing else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: javi_559</div><div class="ubbcode-body">redding dies are a great buy! </div></div>

Not saying they aren't and I have a armored car load.
I was saying that I think I read, either in Dillon or Redding material, where some dies are not recommended for use in progressive reloaders.

I have never read that you should not use sleeved dies in a progressive press. I cannot think of any reason why you shouldn't. I load my 223 HP ammo on a 550 with a Forster Ultra die. If anyone has more information on this i'd like to know as this is the first that I have ever read this.

To the OP, read up on metering Varget in a Dillon powder measure. I believe in order to get it to throw consistent charges people do some minor modding on the powder measure to polish up the hopper.