• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

.308 FTW

Some dork on another forum claimed he went to a police sniper competition where some targets were pencil erasers at 75 yards. Was he exaggerating or outright lying?
Who's to say unless somebody else from that comp could back it up.

I can say for certain that a stage like that can poison the water on legit training and equipment choices.
If that occurred, you can bet your ass that any snipers showing up with a good work gun/scope combo couldn't see how to clearly aim at a pencil eraser at 75yds.
This tells them that they must need more X on their work gun.

They return from the comp and start pushing for new scopes with higher X.

They finally get a chance to buy new scopes with higher X and find that they totally suck as a work scope.

Other team members have to live with the stupid ass decision that was driven by stupid ass logic.

Reactions: Makinchips208
My guess is he didn't shoot through the monitor on purpose.
Shooting through a barrier that you can't see through is verboten when hostages are proximate.

We don't know what ammo he was shooting but even if it was a barrier round, the concern may not even be whether the bullet tracks straight, post barrier but what spalling will it take with it. One piece of projectile or piece of the monitor can kill or maim a hostage. Solid no-go.

For the others comparing shooting through glass. Ditto problem.

It's one thing if a bad guy is alone on the other side of glass but totally different ROE constraints if hostages are close. Is that shot worth blinding the hostage from high velocity glass spalling? Lots of decisions to make in a hurry.

There are 4 main top performing barrier rounds for .308. All 4 track pretty straight but there is a butt load of difference between them on how much spalling they generate.

Easy to arm chair quarterback but this was a rapidly evolving scene and the window was getting ready to close. Mistakes or not, they made it work so kudos to the TL, negotiator and sniper.

What if it was an Apple where the monitor is also the storage and this was all an elaborate scheme to hide a money laundering trail?
Supposedly the monitor kept working.
And supposedly they practice firing through barriers.

Supposedly the monitor kept working.
And supposedly they practice firing through barriers.

You can see the monitor shake a bit then a white spot appear on the screen, the desktop image was still there.

I remember learning about height over bore back in about '97 or so, shooting 3D archery tournaments. Occasionally there would be a target at about three yards, and to hit the kill zone I would have to set my sight on about 40 yards.

I learned this shooting an indoor league, watching one really good shooter practicing beforehand standing right in front of the target bale. I was curious what he was doing, so I asked him.

He told me to stand where he did, and try to put an arrow into the same hole he did. My first shot was way low. Then he explained the concept.

It was quite eye opening, to say the least. Then it was fun watching a lot of other archers miss the kill zone low on the three yard target that night.