• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

.308 suggestions

'm sorry i'm not privy to that, the only info i have for a beginner rifle being of savage origin:

1. take out of box

2. mount optic

3. bore sight

4. after zeroing load ammo into chamber

5. squeeze trigger

6. hit moa target out to 400Y

7. repeat.

done.

before i'm done with this troll pissing match:

budget rifle....check

savage proven accuracy....check

only 400Y....check

ability to DIY enhancements along the way with minimal effort / tools and learning a few trick along the way with not much guilt if you F it up...check

ability to apply to a more "gucci" setup in future if one wants to....check

read the opening post, and every other one after it (including your own and realize what your writing, i can't fathom that you are serious or objective) - i doubt the OP's intention is going to be HALO jumping into a rocky unforgiving environments against all odds to pull off magnificent sub MOA shots at 400Y while having live charges going off only feet away, having life and limb hinging upon whether his firearm can be used as a handle to zip line over treacherous crocodile infested gorges to the extraction point where he'll be snatched up via the fulton method.

but whatever floats one's boat on casual range day, be my guest.

...and another thread crashes and burns.

Last edited:
Funny how easy it is to spout crap when you don't have to back up your words with facts. Who cares what brand it is if it shoots. Everyone thinks that whatever their choice is should be number one and everything else is inferior dogshit. On top of all that the asshole pretty much called every one here ignorant and stupid. I appreciate the service to our country but he is an asshole plain and simple and a legend in his own mind.

That's how I feel and I'm done with this topic.

I would recommend either a heavy barreled Howa or Tikka, both fantastic guns...I own both, recently did a budget build using a HB howa bolted into a B&C stock and she shoots sub MOA all day long

It cracks me up how people get so bent on "brand X all day long" or "brand X sucks buy brand Y". My son bought a used box stock Savage 10FP .223 about a year ago and loves it, I ocassionally shoot it and also like it. I was in the market for a .308 precision rifle about 6 months ago and I opted to go with a new Rem 700 SPS Varmint in .308. Is it the best rifle ? No. Is it the worst rifle ? No. It is however more accurate than I will ever be with the right load.. Reasons I went Rem700 was the $75 rebate on the SPS's and I wanted aftermarket support so as I progress with the rifle I can upgrade as needed. The Savage is an awesome platform, but more limited as far as aftermarket. Contrary to internet negitivity I like the Rem X mark pro trigger. Feels almost identical to my sons' older Savage trigger. With both the Savage and the Rem700, doing my part and the stars aligned, and with the "magic" handload i'm capable of .44" groups at 200 meters. I'm also capable of sending flinchy 3" moa fliers if I don't do my part . I added a Sightron SIII 8x32 scope, a B&C Tatical medalist stock and a Kahntrol brake to my Rem .308 and just shoot the shit out of that rifle, absolutely love it no regrets.

Last edited:
Went to the range yesterday with my P.O.S. Savage model 12 FLV .223.

Only have around 1000 rounds through this piece of crap and amazingly enough-it hasn't blown up yet...

Tried out some loads that would fit in my AR's and the Savage so I seated them to 2.25 inches O.A.L.

First four shots went into .151 and NATURALLY I pulled the fifth to make 5 for .385.

Haven't seen any issue with my Savage but I'm not shooting dinks at one klick in the boonies (oops, my war-disregard!) because I'm wacking gongs and punching paper from a bench. Had a guy shooting next to me with a tricked out Remmy .223 and heard me bitching when I brought my target back to the line. I was bitching because of the pulled shot but he didn't know that. He came over and looked at the target, said " "F" you, you're smokin' my ass" and went back to his bench.

Yes, it's not quite as easy to find aftermarket stuff for the Savage, especially if you have a "lefty" model like I do, but they are available.

I own more firearms than I'm going to tell you clowns about but I don't have a single one that I haven't piddled with-why-because I like to. My wife doesn't mind because it keeps me off the streets....

The stock is a Choate-yes I said Choate stock that is AWESOME. Paid around 200 bucks for it because it's a lefty stock. Stock has a full aluminum bedding block assembly, spacers to adjust the length of pull, recoil pad (not needed for .223), factory installed metal rail for accessories like a bipod, fully floated barrel channel, and multiple attaching points for sling. It's also a great stock for shooting off a rest and sandbag. Righty stock is around 160 bucks.

Replaced the trigger with a Rifle Basix trigger for 95 bucks-trigger is scary awesome at around 14 ounces.

Added an extended bolt handle for better leverage and a bearing/plate under the bolt handle to smooth out cycling for 50 bucks.

Added a blinged out bolt shroud for 80 bucks-doesn't do anything, I just like it.

Funny thing is a CRAPLOAD of police depts. use the Savage FP10 in their SWAT units but I'm sure they're just a bunch of ignorant A-holes-what do they know...

I don't care what anyone else is shooting because we all have our own opinions as to what works for US and it's your dime-spend it as you wish. I do however truly enjoy being at the range when some pompous fuck shows up with his 4000 dollar tricked out gun and starts talking shit about how great it is and looks at my rifle and says "Oh, that's a Savage you're shooting?" And then my lowly Savage that I have around 1000 bucks in SMOKES his ass. SaWeet!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1239.JPG
    IMG_1239.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 16
  • savage1.jpg
    savage1.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 17
I said what I said with sarcasm. I love my Savage HS precision. I have shot 2000 rounds through my rifle without one problem. I shoot it in the dust in the snow and everything in between. I have made a few upgrades based on what people said concerning the extraction and ejection issues that I never have experienced. I haven't to this day shot against any one else's. 308 that would shoot like mine. My brother has the same rifle and it shoots identical to mine. The bolt lift is a little tuff, but there are easy fixes available.

Thanks Richard.

My .223's are just some of my toys-also love my .308's. Just ordered a JP bull barrel for my LR308 but my old time favorite is my .308 Mod 70 HBV with some nice improvements I added over the years. The old girl still shoots sub .5 M.O.A. at 100 yards with my reloads of 4895 and 168 gr Sierra HPBT match bullets.

Attachments

• Win70.JPG
    Win70.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 20