• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Range Report .308 velocities to expect from an 18 inch barrel?

Lofty

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2008
Lenexa KS
Assume Im getting right at 2600 FPS with M118 175 grain out of a 24 inch barrel.....what can I expect to lose by stepping down to an 18 inch barrel out of the same gun....just cutting the barrel down?

Re: .308 velocities to expect from an 18 inch barrel?

From what I read you loose 20fps per inch on average. The oppisite also occures you gain 20fps for every additional inch on average. I have never checked this personally.

Maybe someone else has heard of another number.

If your 24" barrel is getting 2600, that is what I would consider a slow barrel, so I would expect to lose a bit more fps than 20 from that... probably closer to 30 or 40fps per inch.

I would be you will be just about 2400 - 2450fps cutting that barrel back almost making it not worth the effort.

What are typical velocities for M118 out of a 24 inch barrel?

Frank I know you have some 18 inch barrels, what load do you like to run out of your Gladius and what velocities do you typically achieve?

I run factory ammo, like Cor Bon and SW Ammo and I get between 2575fps and 2605fps out of my Gladius.

My 22" Valkyrie gets 2725+ fps out of factory ammo, and my new AX with a Bartlein gets 2650fps out of a 20" barrel with most factory 175gr ammo.

So you are slow, not to mention my stuff is no less than a .299 bore, the Gladius is a .298 bore as well as the Valkyrie.

Thanks Frank.....I just ordered an Bartlein blank to be finished at 18 inches. Putting it in a Manner T4A with a mini chassis.

Basically a Gladius.

From a factory Remington bbl cut down to 18.5 inch using factory ammo

168gr FGMM 2510 fps
150gr Fed soft point 2720 fps

Im still running this rifle in and have not worked up a load for it at this time.