Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    338 LM Accuracy Testing & 3 Day Precision Rifle Class @ Gunsite

March 26th to 30th 2012

Gunsite Academy - Paulden AZ,

Putting out a feeler for those interested in participating in the class and 338 Bullet Test at Gunsite in March

We would need at least 8 people, 10 would be better... to attend a 3 day class put on by the Gunsite Staff and then we will roll right into the 2 day bullet testing as discussed here on the Hide.

The cost for the 5 days would be $1250...

Looking for at least 8, hopefully we can secure 10 bodies to join in and help out while learning something about ELR in the process.

Give us a tentative idea of your interest ?

Thanks,

Re: 338 LM Accuracy Test and Class @ Gunsite

Frank,

There would be no objection to Norma Magnum chamberings, correct?

It is more suitable for use with the ZA.

Agree with Cali. This is what I have been working with but my supply is getting low and I will have to decide what to do next.

Thanks!

FYI,

Hey we have just about enough people to get this off the ground, I have about 8 requests for attendance so I need to finalize this with Gunsite so everyone can sign up asap.

So just to let people know we are moving forward and I have been fielding requests for attendance...

I've got a perfectly good area to set it up, and I can actually place the pole locations in advance. If the equipment can be here, there is no reason not to do it.

As I noted in the older thread, recent Doppler testing of the Hornady 285 bullet turned up a BC of .7, within .015 of the desert test. I think if it's calibrated to that and the Lapua Doppler numbers, it's pretty much spot on.

I agree with you on the system reliability Cory. The set-up is optimized for sharp, clear, registration of sonic signatures, and would be a wonderful adjunct to the accuracy testing.

And please, if you could run Berger OTM Hybrid and the traditional SMK 300gr? As reference points?

Wish I could be there myself, but... Oh well, no rest for the wicked.
    smile.gif

I shot about 150 rounds last time out. I brought 200 rounds with me.

I would say we need to get everyone to start contacting Gunsite on this class, we have had a couple already go ahead and contact them, so we need to start finalizing the attendance.

I think this is great opportunity to not only learn, but to take part in determining the accuracy of our favorite 338 bullets across several shooters. We can average out the results with the common rifles on the line.

So I will touch base with Cory so we can start a formal attendance list. I know several have contacted me off line and outside of this discussion.

Just checked and its the week my parents fly in to visit(I'm originally from Ohio). Would of been a great time and opportunity, thanks for setting this up in AZ, maybe next time.

Guys, any ELR rig is welcome to attend, it's not a 338LM specific class. The accuracy test on the last two days will be using 338 projectiles, but we have plenty of rifles and you'll just shoot one or more of them if you don't actually bring some kind of 338.

I'm currently planning the accuracy test phase for targets at 1000, 1500 and 2000 meters.

As of this minute, I've only got 4 people that called in and registered. We need 8 to really make this work and it will max out at 12. I'd like to have the downrange acoustic chrono gear, but I'm not going to bring that in unless we get 4 more people registered this week. Thanks!

Still need four more people to make this a go. If we don't get registrations by the end of next week, we'll be cancelling this project so people are not stuck for travel expenses.

Again, a 338 rifle is not a requirement, shoot what you want for the class.

I've got 5 right this minute, so if Phoenix gets vacation approved (or just happens to get pretty sick that week ;)) I'd say we are good.

Still waiting word from the acoustic chrono guy, but I do have all sorts of night vision gear for the night shoot. We have DTA and Ashbury rifles on hand, and I've got test ammo with 250 and 300 Scenars, 300 Berger's as well as 285 Hornady's ready to go. If the plastics people come through for DTA, I'll have one of the new HTI's here to see/try as well.

This should be FUN!

I plan on camping at the camp grounds. I sleep in hotels already enough. So if anyone else wants to bring a tent and join in the fun I will be tending the fire and drink beer.

Weather is pretty much perfect right now, so if it holds up we should get some real good work done.

I've got 4x8's painted up for target boards at 500, 1000 and 1500 for the accuracy tests, going out to paint some steel and ckeck the UKD's, we are ready to go!

I have my 250 scenars too because that is what I am shooting for the XLR class, so we'll have them.

I have ready to roll

250gr Scenars
    250gr Berger Hybrids
    235gr Predator Solids
    285gr Hornady
    300gr Cutting Edge
    325gr Rocky Mountain
    Lehigh Solids (245gr ? )

I may have to load a few more up, not sure if I have enough of everything to manage rounds at all distances, flying limits me a bit to how much I can carry of each.

I don't have any 300gr Scenars,

The AWSM I am shooting is only a 1-11, waiting on my 1-9.5 AX to arrive before personally trying them... So who ever happens to have some can shoot them. (think Cory does)

I am bringing the 300gr bullets I have here that were given too me, so they are loaded up and ready to roll, but my Accuracy International does much better with lighter bullets.

JUst curious, but why no SMKs? I'd like to see how they stack up against the others (bc that is what I shoot). I just can't justify buying scenars for high volume shooting.