338 NM / 300 NM

gyr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2006
EU
There is a lot of very interesting information about the 338 norma mag. and the 300 norma mag. lately, arising from different posts, where I have been tempted to ask users of both cartridges to compare.. however I think it is better not to hijack those threads which were started for different reasons.

Considering both a relatively new cartridges , but designed with efficiency and accuracy in mind...

Different shooters have commented on the 300nm making more sense if shots are usually kept under 1600 m... however, I would appreciate an opinion about the 338 norma mag. being able to ballistically beat a 300nm at those distances if using 250 grainers ?

To properly compare, it would be convenient to know whay kind of velocities are obtained out of certain barrel lenghts and bullets.

For hunting purposes, where energy and terminal ballistics are important, the 338 also makes sense...

It appears the only serious competitor of the 338 nm is the 338 lapua, whereas the 300nm has to fight for a place in the already crowded 300 mag. market... will the 338 nm outsurvive the 300nm?

Finally, what kind of barrel life is to be expected in the 300nm??

Thanks.

Re: 338 NM / 300 NM

I shot my 338 norma this weekend at 2150 yards and got 4 out of 10 shots on target. Im shooting the 300 berger at 2900 fps out of a 32" schneider. I know "in theory" (horse crap if you ask me as I like hard data on what really happens) I should get between 3k and 4K rounds before setting it back. Only shooting that many will tell us. I dont have any data on the 300 NM but with a 230 berger it would be pretty good. If your shooting critters then I would personally lean towards the 338.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask more questions

I will try and get it put up this evening after I cook my meals for the week! right at 3.49 time of flight. Didnt recover any projectiles around the target though. Would have loved to see how they deformed

While I do not own a 300 NM, I did design a 300 JAZZ back in '09 which is basically a 300 NM AI. I have also, owned a 338 NM.
I sold both rifles awhile back due to shoulder surgury, and not knowing how rehab would go.

I now own a 338 EDGE.
Between the 2 you mentioned, I would lean toward the 338.
Even if the 300 will outperform it at distances less than 1500 yards, I still prefer the 300gr pills, due to downrange energy, and look forward to try the 285's and others that are coming online as well.
The 300 shooting the 210-240 gr bullet does have less recoil, however, and has more than enough terminal energy for the distances anyone would be hunting at.
You cannnot go wrong with either of these choices.
Decide what is more important for your needs, and go from there.

I like both of them. I don't feel like I give anything up to the 338 when shooting the 300 at distance. I've shot the 300 to 2K in pretty sporty conditions against a lapua and didn't feel under gunned at all. There are more great shooting 30 bullets than 338. Not that matters so much anymore but I'll take accuracy first then learn how to shoot. A 30 is stupid easy to get to shoot.

For tip top accuracy barrel life on a 300 NM will be 900-1000 if you take care of it. Ride it hard and you can expect to 700-900 rounds before your thinking about a new barrel. Of course your mileage may vary. The 300 is a fun round to shoot it's just that speed costs money so the question is how fast to you want to go.

How about a 30 cal round that will push a 225@2900 FPS and run it out of a standard action?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave Tooley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like both of them. I don't feel like I give anything up to the 338 when shooting the 300 at distance. I've shot the 300 to 2K in pretty sporty conditions against a lapua and didn't feel under gunned at all. There are more great shooting 30 bullets than 338. Not that matters so much anymore but I'll take accuracy first then learn how to shoot. A 30 is stupid easy to get to shoot.

For tip top accuracy barrel life on a 300 NM will be 900-1000 if you take care of it. Ride it hard and you can expect to 700-900 rounds before your thinking about a new barrel. Of course your mileage may vary. The 300 is a fun round to shoot it's just that speed costs money so the question is how fast to you want to go.

How about a 30 cal round that will push a 225@2900 FPS and run it out of a standard action? </div></div>

Dave, which round are you thinking about? I´d like to go with something that needs no brass forming. Dont know if a 300wm will do that speed with a not very long barrel?