• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

338 rum build

s1086co

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2010
pa
well since remington only makes the 338 rum in the xcr 2, and since i dont like it at all, ive decided to build my own. Im starting with a accurate innovations laminated stock, ( i know i should be going with a mcmillian or h.s. but accurate's stocks are appealing to me) a hart barrel and a timney trigger. The only thing i cant figure out, is what action to use. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Re: 338 rum build

seekins is the only feasible dbm kit I have found for the heavies out of a 338 rum or edge, it that is the case that means 700 la. buy any bolt face you can find and have your smith ream it out to mag and put a sako extractor in it. good luck I loved my edge regret selling it know. it feels so good to be holding that much power.

Re: 338 rum build

I build a few RUMs every year to meet the criteria of my own crossover guns. I usually use an HS mag system. Even my own 7 RUM which tends to want the longest OAL. The 338 is the shortest of the rums. If it likes being on the lands single feed for Target shooting then use the mag when hunting if you need to seat the bullets shorter if needed. Most of the time you won't see as much.accuracy gain if the rifle is well put together. I shoot setups similar to what you have described as my primary long range gun. At 11 lbs a tad heavy for hunting for some, I like the extra weight for an occasional long shot but not too heavy to hump around. But real light when look at some of the rifles guys build because they think they need the weight to shoot out to 1500. Look at the HS. Three in the belly and no mods needed like with other dbm.

Jason